Careers / Jobs / Positions in Magazine Publishing

Becoming the Editor in Chief's Asst

So, how does one go about getting the job of assistant to the Editor in Chief? Are these jobs advertised? Is it by word of mouth? Or are these positions filled by former interns? I know it would be no easy task to do the job, but I guess I'm curious after seeing the Devil Wears Prada so many times. Also, is the position intended to be a short term thing or is there just really high turnover?

:flower:

Fashion Editor v. Stylist: Do both career paths require a portfolio of tear sheets?

I know that stylists need a portfolio to gain clients including tear sheets.

Do people trying to work their way up to Fashion Editor need a similar portfolio to show an aptitude for editorial styling?

Should people going in this path way do mock editorial shoots and stories to present with their CV/resume?

Thank you in advance.

hey jiji,

as both a stylist and a fashion editor you will need a portfolio of shots/ tearsheets. essentially, both positions are stylists. a 'stylist' is either a freelance stylist for different publications, or a more junior person in the fashion team on a magazine or other publication. a fashion editor has been a stylist and has enough experience and fashion business know-how that they can judge what brands to use to help the magazine, and can judge picking photographers and liasing for upcoming shoots with the editor. in some cases fashion editors can also come from being 'market editors' and others with a PR background. this experience helps them with the clothes/ advertising/ magazine relationships.

hope this helps!

Booking Director!

Seems like an exciting and interesting job. What should I study in university to attain a job like this?:flower:

So, my question is inspired by the new series of "The City" on MTV. Do magazines really have PR departments? I guess it makes sense, but I never really thought about it. Do all magazines have a PR department? Is this department usually part of a marketing department, or is it separate?

Also, how would one go about obtaining a PR job at a magazine? Is it simply luck and word of mouth?

PR and Marketing are usually different departments although they are related in that they both are needed, in addition to Advertising, to get the product out to the public. I don't know for a fact, but I would expect any large magazine to have both departments ... any large business needs these.

Marketing involves product development, advance planning, inventory, circulation in the realm of publishing. It's lot's of statistics ... not what you think it is. PR involves getting the name out to the public, via press releases, functions and parties, and I think, product placement on TV etc., sponsorships ... by any means except advertising. And then... advertising that's all the paid stuff... billboards, commercials, etc.

If you have questions about how to get a job or what education you need, there are other threads that would better cover the subjects:

Specifically about Magazines:
How to Get Work at a Fashion Magazine & Get to the Top
What Education is Needed to get into Magazines / Publishing?

About PR and Marketing (they are different, only slightly related:(
All about PR = Public Relations
Fashion Marketing

About various fashion careers includiong publishing: detailed information about the requirments and what is out there ... a good place to explore various possibilities:
Searching for My Perfect Fashion Career - HELP!!
Fashion Industry Careers
Education for a Career in Fashion?

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is :smile: : Who choose models for editorials in magazines? The magazine fashion editor or someone else(and what this job is called)?

My question is :smile: : Who choose models for editorials in magazines? The magazine fashion editor or someone else(and what this job is called)?

I think at some places there's actually a casting director of sorts who deals with that sort of thing. Although the fashion editors do have say obviously.

Generally it's the Bookings Editor, although recently magazines have expanded the purview of the Bookings Editor to cover everything from finalizing clothing pulls and assisting w trunk shows/events, etc, to selecting the models, etc...

Bookings editor mean different things to different magazines I think.... from what I'm familiar with, bookings editor are people who organise the models, the set, the photographer, the schedule, budgets, etc - all related to the shoot. They don't do any styling or writing - and they wouldn't be able to anyway since they're always so flat out! They sometimes also attend shoots to help out and generally make sure everything is running according to plan.

Fashion Magazine Positions- In Detail

I don't think this is a topic yet? Anyway, I thought it might be useful to get more information on all of those positions listed in fashion magazine mastheads; I know I don't know most of them, but I figured there were plenty of people on here that do and, together, we could explain most of them. :smile: I took this one out of Vogue US. I went up and listed all of them, though I think a number of them are pretty self explanatory, haha.

Editor In Chief
Creative Direct
Design Director
Fashion Director
Features Director
Fashion Market/Accessories Director
Executive Fashion Editor
Editor at Large
Fashion News Director
Style Director

Fashion​
Senior Market Editor
Senior Accessories Editor
Fashion News Editor
Bookings Editor
Market Editor(s)
Accessories Editor/Associate Accessories Editor(s)
Producer
Fashion Writers
Associate Producer
Assistant Bookings Editor
Fashion Assistants

Beauty
Beauty Director
Beauty Writer
Beauty Assistant

Features
Culture Editor
Senior Editors
- Copy Editor(s)
Entertainment Editor
Food Critic
Online Editor
Features Assistants

Art​
Art Director
Senior Designer
Photography Director
Photo Editor
Photo Assistant

Executive Producer
Production Director
Production Manager
Art Production Manager
Deputy Copy Chief
- Senior Copy Editor
- Copy Editor
Research Associates
Assistants to the Managing Editor
Executive Assistant to the Editor in Chief
Assistants to the Editor in Chief
Director of Special Events
- Special Events Coordinator
Director of Public Relations
- Public Relations Assistant
Paris Bureau Chief
Paris Editor
Fashion Associates
Senior West Coast Editor
Managing Editor
Editorial Director

There was a series of articles in UK Glamour where people at the magazine explained their positions, what was entailed and the route they took to get there. What was most interesting is that they included employees in sales/advertising and marketing - a lot of people tend to picture magazines purely in terms of editorial staff, when there are many more sections to consider, when it comes to producing a financially successful publication.

Actually, we do have a thread about this, so they have been merged.

Don't forget ... there are lots of other types of entry level jobs (besides being an assistant), if you are just trying to break into a magazine with the hopes of getting promoted into something more exciting. This list is just the editorial departments ... but there are other ways to get a job at a magazine.

There are also receptionists, data entry clerks, accounting clerks, mail clerks, admin. assistants, and that's not even talking about the actual production of a magazine (graphic artists, typesetting ... and so on) and then there is the sales department working to get advertisers, which is where the money is made in publishing.

Hi, it's been a while since I last logged in this site..sorry haha,
anyway, Let's get to the point. I had worked as an intern editor for over an year in the certain korean local fashion magazine. since I hoped to becoma a fashion editor, it was really amazing, awesome experience to me, but was somewhat tough job also.
but I'm still want to work in the fashion magazine..
and actually, I really adore girls magazine "LULA (I think u guys definitely know this magazine..)" and I'm always dreaming of work in there..haha..when I frist saw that magazine, I totally fell in love with..it..so I'm planning to go to UK, and want to start my career as an assistant again...so I have to preparing many things to go there, and In my plan, maybe I'll go to uk next year..so..if u know some information about magazine assistant & lula, plz leave me a msg...I'll really appreciate that.. :D.. and so many thanks in advance..

and plus,, I want to make good friends who I can talking about this..sincerely..I'll waiting for ur msgs.. thanks..:smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdrearth
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->