Casey Cadwaller - Designer, Creative Director of Mugler

LadyJunon

Reaction score
Terminal 9 Studios to release "Inside the Dream: Mugler", a documentary on Cadwaller's revival of Mugler:

The documentary was directed by Matthieu Menu and will be available to watch exclusively on CANAL+ in France from September 25 and soon worldwide on selected platforms.

It’s too bad his work is so mediocre and unimaginative.

I feel like he’s way too concerned with making Mugler CONTEMPORARY.

He isn’t really getting at the essence of the brand…so it’s always looking like a cheap, sl*tty, vulgar version of the archives. That’s not really what Mugler was about…it was much more fantasy and humor and cinema and dreams. It’s almost like…if he were to let go of the archives, and instead find his own fantasy…it could probably be more interesting…the same way Galliano freed himself from the Dior archives and plugged himself, instead, into the electricity of the spirit of the house to make magic.

But ultimately, I’m not getting the impression that Casey is a deep enough individual to have much to draw from within himself. He’s rather pedestrian.

It’s too bad his work is so mediocre and unimaginative.

I feel like he’s way too concerned with making Mugler CONTEMPORARY.

He isn’t really getting at the essence of the brand…so it’s always looking like a cheap, sl*tty, vulgar version of the archives. That’s not really what Mugler was about…it was much more fantasy and humor and cinema and dreams. It’s almost like…if he were to let go of the archives, and instead find his own fantasy…it could probably be more interesting…the same way Galliano freed himself from the Dior archives and plugged himself, instead, into the electricity of the spirit of the house to make magic.

But ultimately, I’m not getting the impression that Casey is a deep enough individual to have much to draw from within himself. He’s rather pedestrian.
Isn’t that the prerogative in making the brand work?
Rosemary Rodriguez tried to make Mugler work by freeing herself from the archives.

I think Mugler is just a difficult brand to work with. Essentially, his RTW was very 1950’s inspired, the kind of « bourgeoise salope » fantasy and his Couture was very bold, almost costumes, very showgirls inspired and things like that.

I think those elements are quite difficult to make modern in essence.

I think that the reason why Azzedine and Gaultier survived that era is because their women were real, not fantasies, unlike Mugler and Montana.

I think Casey is limited but in a way, I can’t blame him. His work is caricatural but this is the first time in 23 years that Mugler is having a cultural and commercial relevance, beyond the perfumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crinklechiffon
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->