Alessandro Michele - Designer, Creative Director of Valentino

The Valentino logo I think is fine when sparingly used, but it isn't "monogrammable" if that makes sense. A buckle here and there, backdrop to the show and used for campaigns but beyond that it doesn't stick well. I don't find it as ugly as the Goyard print or Gucci monogram, it still isn't effective.

Fendi monogram is tricky. Same as the Dior one. It's so gimmicky but it can be really effective when you have a sense of actual fun with it. Sometimes the Gucci one goes there, but I really only like it when it's used as a lining or in an embossed dark leather for example. The idea of treated or printed canvas being used as a monogram basis and then being up-marketed price wise is strange to me overall though.

The Valentino logo I think is fine when sparingly used, but it isn't "monogrammable" if that makes sense. A buckle here and there, backdrop to the show and used for campaigns but beyond that it doesn't stick well. I don't find it as ugly as the Goyard print or Gucci monogram, it still isn't effective.
I think, for me, it's almost not used properly? Like it looks clunky as a buckle? As a monogram it's dreadful. Maybe because it's so "new". Actually, it looks like what they'd design for a fake fashion brand in a movie or tv show, I think. Goyard, lol, I don't even notice... sorry to people who buy their bags for that. Gucci's monogram is Gucci, whatever. Like, as long as Gucci is around the monogram has to be there, same with the interlocking Gs. :lol:

Dior's oblique is ok if used VERY sparingly. I like Fendi's when it leans into tacky. :lol: Fun Fur after all!! I just don't feel like the Valentino one is used correctly (lol). Anyway... back to whatever we were discussing. Secretly I "like" Balmain monogram. 🤐

Last edited:
I think, for me, it's almost not used properly? Like it looks clunky as a buckle? As a monogram it's dreadful. Maybe because it's so "new". Actually, it looks like what they'd design for a fake fashion brand in a movie or tv show, I think. Goyard, lol, I don't even notice... sorry to people who buy their bags for that. Gucci's monogram is Gucci, whatever. Like, as long as Gucci is around the monogram has to be there, same with the interlocking Gs. :lol:

Dior's oblique is ok if used VERY sparingly. I like Fendi's when it leans into tacky. :lol: Fun Fur after all!! I just don't feel like the Valentino one is used correctly (lol). Anyway... back to whatever we were discussing. Secretly I "like" Balmain monogram. 🤐
What I like about the original Valentino logo is how lean and serif it is. But you can’t really do that in a buckle or metal detail unless you make it HUGE, you know? As a fabric, that whole interlocking V look just hurts the eyes.

The Fendi really does need a “Fun Fur” attitude. Balmain reminds me of Givenchy. Versace reminds me of Goyard. All four just blend into one in the end to some degree because it’s all so “same same but different” 😶

Borghi’s suit I find questionable (bringing it back here…). Still very juvenile, and hopefully Alessandro develops a maturer eye for Valentino.

It seems Valentino is beginning to poach Gucci ambassadors (from AM's tenure), Lorenzo Zurzolo showed up to the Venice Biennale in Valentino by AM.

Fendi monogram is tricky. Same as the Dior one. It's so gimmicky but it can be really effective when you have a sense of actual fun with it. Sometimes the Gucci one goes there, but I really only like it when it's used as a lining or in an embossed dark leather for example. The idea of treated or printed canvas being used as a monogram basis and then being up-marketed price wise is strange to me overall though.
I think that the issue is that Valentino just isn't really the type of brand that can hinge itself on logoed products. The brand only went in that direction when PPP went solo. The brands most successful products, the Rockstud and the Rockrunner, didn't have logos on them. Meanwhile, the VLTN line was a commercial flop.
Borghi’s suit I find questionable (bringing it back here…). Still very juvenile, and hopefully Alessandro develops a maturer eye for Valentino.
GWUTdpAWIAExlTe.jpgGWVdZ4JXcAE1zwX.jpg
X - Valentino

It has that trending boxy silhouette that veers very young. It's not so offensive here, because of the lengthened trouser, but a straighter cut would've been much more flattering on his build. The men's silhouettes in the Resort collection are more offensive because all of them are boxy and cropped, which will look a bit silly on most adult men. The womenswear feels more of a pan-generational appeal due to the more varied silhouettes.
It seems Valentino is beginning to poach Gucci ambassadors (from AM's tenure), Lorenzo Zurzolo showed up to the Venice Biennale in Valentino by AM.
As they should.

Depends because not all ambassadors have contracts and some are friends of the house or paid ambassadors and long or season contract /agreements and not paid but offer free clothes for right publicity upcomming or established etc tec

Could be his deal was closed last year and he is friends with alessandro and happily crossed over .....i don't think we will see harry styles in Gucci for some time and that's a natural relationship and loyalty it seems

The awkwardness of Lorenzo attending the Gucci show earlier this year and taking a photo with Sabato to his new partnership with Valentino LOL

This is literally a karate-gi.
With tailored shoulders. The second casual look is maybe the best of the 3, but all the trousers are really off.
He's a very good-looking young man, Valentino should have been able to provide more tailored look.
There is a tailoring element in Valentino history, especially in menswear, that AM team is completely missing.
Edit: him in Gucci by AM is more Valentino than the current look

With tailored shoulders. The second casual look is maybe the best of the 3, but all the trousers are really off.
He's a very good-looking young man, Valentino should have been able to provide more tailored look.
There is a tailoring element in Valentino history, especially in menswear, that AM team is completely missing.
Edit: him in Gucci by AM is more Valentino than the current look

I agree. I think that if the the trousers had straight-cut legs, it would look much less costume-y.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dafraz117
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->