Catalog and Commercial Models

agee

Reaction score
I am starting this thread on catalog and commercial models. I know that catalog modeling is not the sexiest type of modeling, but of course anyone in the know knows that commercial and catalog modeling pays quite well and better than many high fashion gigs.

I see this thread covering models whose primary bread and butter is catalog modeling as well as catalog work being done by (high) fashion models. I think the lines are starting to blur when it comes to categorizing models... just in the past couple of days, it has come to my attention that two haute couture darlings have done interesting commercial / catalog projects: Lily Donaldson for Victoria's Secret (surprising but not shocking) and Vlada Roslyakova for Target (shocking!!!:o).

Victoria's Secret
f2o677.jpg
2u92xbt.jpg
70kfft.jpg

Lily Donaldson | IMG (London, New York, Paris and Milan)

Sources: victoriassecret.com via Juliax / tanii94 - Lily Donaldson thread.

Anna Sui for Target
34pcc40.jpg

Vlada Roslyakova (top right) | Women (New York, Paris and Milan) | Models 1 (London ) | UNIQUE DENMARK (Copenhagen) | Donna (Tokyo)

Sources: Campaignista / Faith Akiyama - Vlada Roslyakova thread.

The Lily pictures are blah to me (they don't excel on any of the key factors: sexy, relateable or edgy - I see sexy and edgy, but too watered down), VS could have kept their money on that one. Surprisingly uber-high fashion Vlada has a cuteness about herself - that is when she is healthy looking - that she pulls off the relateability / "I want to buy that outfit" factor quite well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand this, honestly ... Catalog & Commercial Models are two completely different things, I don't know how can you put them together, I'm just really don't getting anything ... Catalog work can be HF or commercial work ... a Commercial model is someone that basically does more commercial work than HF work or does only commercial work ... HF model is someone that does more commercial work than HF or does only HF.

I believe you want to focus this thread into talking about HF fashion models that started doing commercial work or vise-versa?

I see this thread covering current working models' commercial and catalog work; models from the past who did commercial and catalog work such as Frederique, Kathy Ireland, Cheryl Tiegs and Heidi Klum. The thread can also cover events like the release of the Christmas catalogs. Also I can see this thread covering major commercial contracts awarded, especially in the areas of mass market clothing or beauty products.

Top Catalogs (that I can think of:(
Abercrombie and Fitch
Ashley Stewart
Bloomingdale's
Chadwick's of Boston
ebay.com
H&M
J Crew
Lane Bryant
L. L. Bean
Lord & Taylor
Marianne Stores
Metro Style
Neiman Marcus
Newport News
Nordstrom's
Saks
Talbot's
Top Shop
Urban Outfitters
Victoria's Secret

Sales Circulars (that I can think of:(
Target
Macy's
Kohl's
Nordstroms

Top Commercial Products (that I can think of:(
Cover Girl
Harper's Bazaar Beauty Supplement
L'Oreal
Maybelline
Pantene
Victoria's Secret
Vogue's Beauty Supplement

great thread, its always fascinating to dig up work that high fashion models have done..some of which they hope wont see the light of day. Some commercial models are also quite stunning

Mango is a Spain based retailer and seems to have an edgy-funky approach to its catalog. As far as I know they don't have a print catalog.

hrgg7a.jpg
10pq52v.jpg
2m6nzoi.jpg
6tn6tw.jpg

www.mangoshop.com

The blond model in the first picture ss Danielle Riley Keough* (IMG-NY, Elite-NY. Marilyn-Paris).

--------------
*Thanks fashionkidd.

15ezerd.jpg
21e41f7.jpg

aufeminin_fr / Tekka - Sasha Pivovarova thread.

Client: Biotherm
Model: Sasha Pivovarova (IMG (London, New York, Paris, Milan), UNIQUE DENMARK (Copenhagen), Donna (Tokyo).
-------------------

I would not have completely ruled her out as a beauty girl, but I am still impressed with how Sasha did in this ad.

Charlotte di Calypso* has opened and closed Dior and had a fantastic haute couture run in July.
1zlpu7q.jpg
2mhv2qd.jpg

vogue.co.uk| fadedcolours - Charlotte di Calypso thread catwalking | Vinciano - Charlotte di Calypso thread

She has also done work for Top Shop.
dwc3yo.jpg
2zgypn5.jpg
v7713k.jpg

topshop.com | magdish - Charlotte di Calypso thread

Charlotte perplexes me, because while I like her work, I think her blandness (dodging tomatoes) works in her favor, she is THE embodiment of the term clothes hanger, and I suspect designers select her to wear their signature looks because she does not upstage the clothes.

--------------
* 1, New York; Elite Paris, Barcelona and Copenhagen; Munich Models, Munich

Mango is a Spain based retailer and seems to have an edgy-funky approach to its catalog. As far as I know they don't have a print catalog.

--------------
*Thanks fashionkidd.

theu have print catalog :flower:

^Thanks, I was trying to find out how to order it and could not find a place on their site, although that does not mean that it was not right under my nose. Do you have a link?

In my opinion catalog work has became more popular or how should I say it..wanted? H&M in particular, it`s very interesting how they use top hf girls now. Victoria`s secret. I don`t personally mind if there was no line between hf and commercial models, at least on this level.

In all honesty... the definition of catalog work seems fairly clear-cut and specific, but the definition of commercial seems to overlap many aspects of the fashion world. I've always heard the term applied to girls with a less than edgy appearance, who might do runway shows and editorials just as other girls, but appeal to different designers' sensibilities. For example, one model for Issey Miyake and another for Donna Karan. Lots of overlap, though, still. I always took it to be just a descriptive word, like 'Amazonian', rather than a job title (unlike catalog...)

But really we're talking girls in catalog work, where you wouldn't expect to find them? :P Newport News has Hana Soukupova(!)

newport-news.com (obviously)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NavidNoor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->