Christian Dior 1996-2002 : The John Galliano Early Years

I don't understand from which institutions is even possible to log in into Bloomsbury.
Is there a list? I guess the archive isn't available for peasants like us :rofl:
Maybe some art school student can help us.

Edit: Bloomsbury and YOOX group work together, this is a collaboration.

Or someone that works at Dior. :innocent:

^ Arnault would rather die than allow this to happen hehe
There are users who actually work in the fashion business so maybe they can help?

@Scotty @avonlea002
Aaaaaa!
VPb9fZO.gif

Mikhail Shchedrin

I can't believe I saw this just now! Keep an eye on this guy!

I hope he uploads the Dior and Galliano shows.

Are there HQ pics of S/S 2000 RTW anywhere?

^ gettyimages. not all looks of course

The one Kardashian wore. Original owner

Producer Joel Silver and his wife Karyn Fields arriving for the premiere of The Matrix Reloaded at the Palais des Festival in Cannes. 2003
gettyimages.com

I know this show doesn't belong in this thread but I just want to get this off my mind:

I've been binge watching John's Dior fashion shows a couple of days ago and I got to Spring/Summer 2005 (RTW) and I was shocked, it was completely different from what John was showing since her start, it felt like a bunch of crazy ideas (60s mod, harajuku, 70s disco, etc) but tainted with boring corporate hands who watered almost everything down. Some looks didn't even look like there were presented by John because at that point he always presented his collections in an exagerated, OTT, theatrical way, because he liked to give an amazing show. The music was all over the place, the collection wasn't that cohesive, the partition that separated the main venue from backstage looked half done, there were gimmicks to deflect the attention from a pretty dismal collection but didn't feel like a galliano gimmick (Riley Keough, Dior Not War, etc). If you noticed, whoever was in charge of the casting direction got rid of so many models who where John's go-to girls and more than half of the cast were newbies. It just felt like in the middle of the makings of this collection where Galliano was his usual crazy self, Mr Arnault barged in and demanded to modify almost every look, and without much time left, John did the best he could, and that was the result.

Sorry about that rant but I needed to speak my mind. It was a youth-chaser, watered down mess with ugly socks.

Last edited:
I know this show doesn't belong in this thread but I just want to get this off my mind:

I've been binge watching John's Dior fashion shows a couple of days ago and I got to Spring/Summer 2005 (RTW) and I was shocked, it was completely different from what John was showing since her start, it felt like a bunch of crazy ideas (60s mod, harajuku, 70s disco, etc) but tainted with boring corporate hands who watered almost everything down. Some looks didn't even look like there were presented by John because at that point he always presented his collections in an exagerated, OTT, theatrical way, because he liked to give an amazing show. The music was all over the place, the collection wasn't that cohesive, the partition that separated the main venue from backstage looked half done, there were gimmicks to deflect the attention from a pretty dismal collection but didn't feel like a galliano gimmick (Riley Keough, Dior Not War, etc). If you noticed, whoever was in charge of the casting direction got rid of so many models who where John's go-to girls and more than half of the cast were newbies. It just felt like in the middle of the makings of this collection where Galliano was his usual crazy self, Mr Arnault barged in and demanded to modify almost every look, and without much time left, John did the best he could, and that was the result.

Sorry about that rant but I needed to speak my mind. It was a youth-chaser, watered down mess with ugly socks.

Actually, S/S2005 was designed in reaction to F/W2004. As fabulous as that RTW collection was (one of my favorite from him), it was just too extreme and disconnected. Most of the clothes were hardly marketable and produced and despite the success of the collection and the Dior Rasta capsule, Arnault needed to be reassured by the commerciality of the collections. It’s understandable...Your RTW cannot be the extreme version of what’s in stores if your Couture is already extreme. And if I remember, the critics weren’t too in love with the collection either.

S/S2005 was a total response to that. It was the « I can design clothes that sells ». it was definitely a transition season as he basically designed sections aimed for the different clientele of Dior at the time. The young Paris Hilton crowd loved the J’adore T-shirts, the Harajuku part felt very Gwen Stefani. There was also the nightclubbing part...Very Hollywood in a way. All along, it was maybe a good showroom collection but not a great vision for the runway...

FW2005 was much more achieved in the balance between creativity and commerciality while adapting concepts developed in Couture.

I personally love Spring 2005 RTW...I love when a very creative designer takes on the challenge of making “wearable” and “commercial” clothes, without a chip on their shoulder or treating it like a burden.

I love how cartoon and silly and fabulous and girly and cute the collection is. It perfectly captured the attitude of the time. The whole thing was very Paris Hilton, very Kirsten Dunst. I also feel like it added a new dimension to the Dior attitude that was so attractive...a new softness, prettiness, and Miss Dior-ness, was introduced into Galliano’s vocabulary for the house...that lasted successfully, in my opinion, until he entered into the disappointing late phase of his tenure making heavy, garish satin Marc Bohan-Dior collections.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->