Helmut Lang sold to Link Theory

ahh... Habitual is that brand of jeans I always see on sale racks because no one buys it. Guess the same will be true for this new Helmut Lang monster they'll create. I'm kinda pissed they bought his name and now can do whatever they want with it.. :angry:

^ Well, he did sell his name... We can't blame the buyer really... :wink:

juice major said:
Is this gonna turn into another Diesel?

:heart:

AH! Don't even joke about such things!!! (Even though I'm afraid that I agree with you. I'd love to see it go otherwise, but all evidence points to the contrary.)

John

First Moussaoui is given life in prison, and now THIS? What kind of world are we living in? I need a cocktail...

tricotineacetat said:
Question is, if Theory wants to start a new business with a lower-priced contemporary line, why waste the money and buy the rights to use the Helmut Lang name to sell the goods under? They could have started with something totally new, the money could have easily been spent elsewhere, if they would have simply started an entirely new brand.

I was thinking they wanted to have a few established high fashion lines under their name...everyone seems to want to be a fashion conglomerate, maybe it was a cheap way to promote themselves, yet im worried that they cannot continue to promote Helmut. Ugh I talk about this in my blog: http://jaredljohnson.blogspot.com/

tricotineacetat said:
Prada has always pushed the buyers to buy more into the jeans and sportswear look that Helmut offered in the collection than the actual collection highlights, the few pieces that you could still find in the late days of Helmut´s Parisian shop, all those horrible jeans and chinos with patch pockets, the printed t-shirts with Helmut Lang logos plastered all over, that´s exactly how Prada thought they´d make money with the Helmut Lang brand name.

Unfortunately, and that I think had been the biggest problem with Helmut Lang in the late Prada days, is that the quality left much to be desired, any A.P.C., any Acne Jeans is of better quality and fit than what Helmut Lang did, it´s frustrating how EVERY single of my female customers tried to fit Helmut´s jeans, yet out of 10 women, only one could fit them properly (let´s say it that way, they are not really forgiving for female curves). The same goes for his blazers, which were quite snug in the arm, yet unfitted at the torso, it´s really been frustrating as a salesfloor experience!

Anyway, I hope these Japanese investors understand that cutting on quality is not the way to go with the Helmut Lang brand image. As the clothes themselves are very purist, everything has to be of amazing quality, both from the sewing and the fabrics... and please, no more silly details on the jeans, please...!!!

I loved the details on the jeans...it appealed to the American "look at me" ideology :lol:

juice major said:
Is this gonna turn into another Diesel?

:heart:

But isnt the diesels parent company doing well with Dsquared and Maison Martin Margiela?

The only think I fear is can the designers keep up? I dunno y they chose them, if their original product (Habitual) doesnt sell, how can they change this? I hope we dont see incorporations of nothing but jeans :(

this wont work,
cannot work.
i bet they wont last even a year.
do they know what they are getting into.
Helmut lang was/ is an elite fashion brand that was based on the personality and vision of the designer who founded the company. it is not possible to make it a contempoary brand.
the brand image is so critically strong (though in the latter stages of Prada management it became commercially weak)
the ppl who supported helmut lang the company supported it because of the personal vision of its founding designer, and he is still alive.
the wise thing for them to have done was to move heaven and earth to bring him back and invest the money into accesories, perfume etc. and use his vision as the driving force behind the brand.
this is like MMM being designed by someone else.........................
it just cannot work

zamb said:
this wont work,
cannot work.
i bet they wont last even a year.
do they know what they are getting into.
Helmut lang was/ is an elite fashion brand that was based on the personality and vision of the designer who founded the company. it is not possible to make it a contempoary brand.
the brand image is so critically strong (though in the latter stages of Prada management it became commercially weak)
the ppl who supported helmut lang the company supported it because of the personal vision of its founding designer, and he is still alive.
the wise thing for them to have done was to move heaven and earth to bring him back and invest the money into accesories, perfume etc. and use his vision as the driving force behind the brand.
this is like MMM being designed by someone else.........................
it just cannot work

You've got some good points there... :flower:

I think, however, that the comparison with MMM might not be an applicable one in the end, with Margiela being such a reclusive persona and his clothes almost non-design by intention... Maybe this is just a change of late, because with the introduction of lines 10, 14, 6, 4 and "replica" pieces (along with the separation of artisanal as being sold only in his own shops), Margiela has become a little more commercial than before.

It would be cool if they paid Helmut to take over....would the company then gain more value/attention? Or is Helmut done with it forever?

I'm just wondering why they got jeans-niche designers doing a p-a-p collection instead of the actual jeans line?? I don't find anything in their own line worthy of doing something remotely close to pap. Silly marketing,really.

Get Helmut back and allow him the freedom he once had and I think HL would begin to pick it's pieces up again commercially. There's just too many devoted fans of his in the world that wants to see him back under his signature.

Scott said:
I'm just wondering why they got jeans-niche designers doing a p-a-p collection instead of the actual jeans line?? I don't find anything in their own line worthy of doing something remotely close to pap. Silly marketing,really.

Get Helmut back and allow him the freedom he once had and I think HL would begin to pick it's pieces up again commercially. There's just too many devoted fans of his in the world that wants to see him back under his signature.

I agree, but all this is just probably wishful thinking :( I wish i would happen for real, but its gonna be one of those lines that end up in k-mart LOL or go out completely unless someone with talent take over.

Helmut Lang back in business

In September, Helmut Lang will be back in business with design duo Michael and Nicole Colovos tailoring the collections. This duo is the same that founded the 'Habitual' label and will soon launch their first line for the Helmut Lang label for Spring 2007. I can say that they did an alright job at 'Habitual', but I cannot see them taking over Helmut and continuing anywhere near his namesake labels image. While both have said 'they are not trying to portray Helmuts' vision, rather put their own spin on the label', will the essence of Helmut Lang be reinstated? Helmut, which was owned by Prada, is now owned by Link Theory Holdings which acquired the label this past March in a buyout.

Does anyone have any other information pertaining to this that may cheer me up?

Earlier this week, Link Theory Holdings has stated they have picked a duo, Michael and Nicole Colovos to act as Helmut Lang's new creative director. Their first collection is due out for Spring 2007. This duo is the same to have founded the label 'Habitual'. I am not sure how they will do at Lang, but I know for certain that it will not be the same.

I think it is horrible how these labels are driving out their creative directors. Business is business when it comes down to it, but if you have a man or woman who portrays and dictates what styles are to be worn, then you should definitely make things work. (i.e. Gucci Group - Tom Ford, Prada Group - Jil Sander and Helmut Lang)

As for Alexandre Plokhov, he has made his own name at Cloak. This is a line that his risen in the past few seasons and will be something to watch out for in the coming years.

^ In terms of Cloak... their quality has been declining since FW04, and fans have been disappointed time after time...
So unless they are going to improve the quality of their garments... and regain the trust of their fans...
It is not unlikely that in a near future, Plokhov will have to seek financial support, thus heading down the same path as the aforementioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
triplesilversilversilver
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->