Clothes to suit your body shape

james

Reaction score
sorry about the stupid title.

My problem is that, as I'm still searching my style, I don't know what body shapes/features suit to different styles etc. I don't know what's my body shape or best features, or how to figure those out (I have one good feature; my eyes).you're supposed to know you're best features, and emphasize them, right? Because every time I figure out how I'd like to look, I find out that it doesn't suit to my body shape/features at all.
I don't know what suits to different bodyshapes and what doesn't.

I don't know if there has been a similar thread, if there has, please inform me.

I hope you won't find this thread really teenager/stupid/childish, because I'm quite young (15), and I know most people here are older and have somekind of knowledge of this kind of things.I know older people find youger people annoying and might feel that they're ruining tFS.so if this thread is just too "teenager" or just plain stupid, please delete it, I won't take personally.:flower:

It's not a stupid topic, but I think that we probably need more details...
If you're unsure about your personal style, I would go through your magazines, or buy yourself some new ones, and save photographs that you like. Post them up onto your wall, and pay attention to what inspires you.
As for the body shape questions, that's a bit too general for me to help with. I mean, if you're of a wider build for example, you should probably try to stay away from horizontal lines. It's kind of hard to help you at this point though.
If you don't feel comfortable posting pictures of yourself, are there any celebrities who have a similar body shape? How do they dress, what colours look best...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not stupid at all!:flower: It would help to know how you're built:wink:

For me, I'm an inverted triangle - broad shoulders/big boobs, no waist and small hips/butt/thighs. I know that I should avoid turtlenecks and that wider-legged pants are good for balancing out my upper body. I'm also short, 5'3", so I try not to wear shoes that will cut off my leg line. I know it sounds cheesy, but there really are some good tips in this book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1573223573/qid=1114112819/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/104-3948494-0373530
Hope this is a little helpful:heart:

I wonder if there is a discussion about what trends or shapes suit certain body types -surely not all styles are designed for the tall and super slim!

For example, the wide-legged trend suits taller gals very well and layering is best left to the smaller frames.

can anyone tell me what shapes (and trends) suit athletic builds like Angelina Jolie, Elle Mcpherson etc?

well one rule of thumb is that if you have wide hips don't wear a top that's hem goes accross your hip. Also don't wear horizontal stripes all over if you can help it because they can cause you to look wider. I say always play up your best feature :smile:

I think body-conscious clothes look amazing on athletic builds, for obvious reasons. You can also pull off bold colors, such as all those painting-inspired pieces in shops now. I would stay away from frilly, overly feminine clothes though, because it might look jarring against your frame. I remember an interview with Molly Sims who said she had very muscular, wide shoulders because she used to be a swimmer, and as a result, she looks ridiculous in clothes like babydoll dresses.

Anything for guys who are a little chubby? I really hate wearing tight shirts cause you can see my chub. Some dudes my size like that lol. But I really find that most mens fashion magazines are catered to skinny/fit men. (I'm not denying that this doesn't happen to women.) Until I reach my perfect size, I just want clothes that make me look good now.

^ I've seen a lot of guys wearing camp shirts (Tommy Bahama and the like) ...

PS I know there's another thread on this topic whose title has been changed so I can't find it ... any clues, please let me know :wink:

There's a book called The Body Shape Bible, but since you will get use out of this book for only a few pages, I would suggest taking their test and more info here.

First time I took the test I was a column, now a vase, and my boyfriend says I am skittle :rolleyes: How do I find out now what's my body type?
I just know that I habe a slim, but looooong torso, wide hips & bottom, and long legs...? :blink:

You sound like a skittle. You're a Halle Berry. :P Vases generally have equal boob/hip ratio.

Trinny and Susannah have a great guide for men--- for those with short necks, those with beer bellies, short legs... i'm not sure where to find it though...

from memory, for men-
wide, big chests--- are like a woman with big boobs and you need to break up boobage so an open shirt over a t-shirt is good

short legs--- wearing the same/similar coloured shoes and jeans so that you get a continuous line, giving the illusion of length

I found out from the current Vogue (shape issue) that I have a perfect swimmer's body--long torso & arms, "stubby" legs. Too bad I don't swim :P

I've mentioned before that long skirts & heels even things out.

dressing for my body type.

So with summer clothing out, it's time for me to do some major shopping! However, I aways find that I don't know how to dress the best to compliment my shape. I somewhat self concious about my body, which I think stems from not knowing what looks the best. I'm about 5'3" and 113 lbs. I have a smaller upper half, and then wider hips. If it helps at all, I would probably compare my body to the singer JoJo's body type, but I have shorter legs and a longer upper body than her.

I always try to watch What Not To Wear, in hopes that I'll see someone with a shape similar to mine, however they always seem to be older and end up dressing more professional than I would - especially being sixteen.

Any suggestions would be greatly greatly appriciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliburum
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->