Fashion: at the expense of your figure?

Baebis said:
I'm not a model. I do not wear clothes to show them off. I wear clothes to express myself and that includes wearing things that flatter me-- my body, skintone, coloring. Therefore I will never wear anything trendy just because--it has to look good on me and preferably make me look good or even better!

Well said!:flower:

Hanne said:
I don't really see the problem to be honest.. if we were having this conversation 10 years ago.. then yes.. there might be a dilemma.. but today were 'the seasons style' isn't just one but a multitude of different styles, and a greater acceptance of individuality..I don't see the expense or sacrifice..
You want to show of your bod ? wear something that hides your flaws ? accentuates your good points ? take your pick..it doesn't have to be either/or.

Did I hear somebody call?!!!!:P ...

You are so right Hanne, It's never either/or, it's multiplicities... ."What's your pleasure?" or what's your tastes as you also put it Jennifer... let's connect that whith another pleasure machine...and another.. in the infinte.. to create a multiple assemblage of desires ...

One enter pacts with the many - the necessary condition is that such flows can never become the subjects of statements, even though they maybe territorial and expressive. Desire no longer flows betweeen subjects who to greater or lesser degree express a normalized, majoritan ideal, desire is no longer simulated by resonnance of subjects of statements. Instead, desire is territorial and mechinic: one desires something together with which one can function in order to produce something ... A production of desires ...

It's a question of does it work? What new thoughts does it make possible to think? What new emotions does it make it possible to feel? What new sensations and perceptions does it open in the body?

we should invoke modes of consciousness which are excluded from majoritarian reason in the way we dress: dreams, pathological, processes, esoteric experiences, intoxication, rapture, or excess. we should discover other modes of consciousness beyond the confines of normalization. We should create a collective subject instead of a singularity. A multitude of connections...

That's how I see fashion, possibilities to grow offshot of sensations in us, so for me it's all in the body. So all my fashion choices is adapted to bodily sensations and expressivenes, but not for any expense, but for the desires that cloth can invoke in me ... it's all about the materiality of the cloth and how it interacts with the body, it's lightness, heavyness, how it falls, how it touches, siluettes, lines, form, colours etc... we are in the violence of sensation here...

but when all this is said sometimes ...

jennifer~ said:
I've considered leaving the house in a sweatsuit and 5" stilettos, but only briefly...

I've considered to buy a trench coat, so when I roll naked out of bed in the morning, I can just put the trench on, my legwarmers and boats to go and get cigaretttes... and no I wont flash anyone on the way :P ...

Just another sensation in this multitude of desires ...

im very insecure, everything i buy i have to have someone else with me to make sure it looks ok on me. so my insecurity leads to me not being so adventerous with clothes. sometimes ill dress just for me, trying not to care about what other people think but then theres the horrid looks i get, which discourrage me. however, recently my confidence is growing as there is so much gorgeous stuff around for f/w that i want so much i cant resist buying some more adventrous peices like the bright red trench coat style jacket, ok the colour may be a little bright for me but why should i not buy it just because a few people think that while i feel great in it? now i just need the confidence to buy those gorgeous high heeled pumps and tweed trousers...

Multitudes said:

It's a question of does it work? What new thoughts does it make possible to think? What new emotions does it make it possible to feel? What new sensations and perceptions does it open in the body?

we should invoke modes of consciousness which are excluded from majoritarian reason in the way we dress: dreams, pathological, processes, esoteric experiences, intoxication, rapture, or excess. we should discover other modes of consciousness beyond the confines of normalization. We should create a collective subject instead of a singularity. A multitude of connections...

That's how I see fashion, possibilities to grow offshot of sensations in us, so for me it's all in the body. So all my fashion choices is adapted to bodily sensations and expressivenes, but not for any expense, but for the desires that cloth can invoke in me ... it's all about the materiality of the cloth and how it interacts with the body, it's lightness, heavyness, how it falls, how it touches, siluettes, lines, form, colours etc... we are in the violence of sensation here...

This is very beautiful.
I love how you are using Deleuze here.
For some reason--that I need to figure out-- it seems to work particularly well in this context.
we are in the violence of sensation here. :heart:
thank you for that.

laika said:

This is very beautiful.
I love how you are using Deleuze here.
For some reason--that I need to figure out-- it seems to work particularly well in this context.
we are in the violence of sensation here. :heart:
thank you for that.

Laika .. You are most welcome and thank you for those words ...

I think it's because his and Guattari's "philosophy" is multiplicities in it self, it doesn't just convey thoughts but also it's a practice .. their texts are becomings or folds .. a shapeshifter always in the process of becoming other .. and maybe that's why, for me that is, that they can be addapted to and work within any given context .. but please when you do figure it out, come back and share it, because I'm certainly interested in hearing your thoughts ...

stilettogirl84 said:
thats the kind of thing I'm talking about- it'd make anyone look pregnant, but some people would deny that or wear it regardless

I've just seen a picture of a TfSer wearing this chloe top which i was also thinking of purchasing and in no way does she look pregnant. Sometimes you've just got to try things on...it can surprise you. ...no matter how well you know your body and can predict how particular 'cuts' will flatter you...

I do however agree with your overall thread topic. I've also sometimes thought that being fashionable/ trendy can blind the wearer. Just check out the What are you wearing today? thread. As long as the person feels comfortable it's up to them. I know for example that i look better in tighter clothing (figure flattering etc) but i'm much more comfortable wearing baggier things most of the time because it just puts me at ease.

softgrey said:
**this is a fantastic thread and a fantastic discussion...
you are all making very thoughtful comments and it is SO interesting to read everyone's points of view...
:heart:...

:D

i completely agree. every post is interesting and insightful.
thank you.:flower:

I always try to dress to flatter my body shape, and to look as best I can. I don't give a fig if what I'm wearing is in fashion.

I do have the problem that a lot of my clothes are from when I was slimmer, and I have no money to buy new clothes - so they're badly fitting :(

I believe it was coco chanel who once said that truely classic clothes are the ones that look good on YOU, not the ones that are 'in'. I always wear whatever I like, no matter how fashionable or unfashionable it is. Same with accessories; I still wear my Chloe prince boots from last year, and I always carry my Novak bag despite the fact that no one seems to like it. Just wear whatever makes you feel good and looks good on you, and don't do the whole 'it'-thing just because the entire world is wearing it!

How could you not love a Novak...such a beautiful bag! I'd feel instantly good with one of those!

I think some cuts and styles can look intimidating but once you try them they can look fantastic. I was anxious about buying a pencil skirt with braces...I thought it'd make me look stumpy, as I am quite petite and a 10 on top, 8 on bottom. It made me look great :smile: You just need to try everything you love, if you love it so much you can make it work!

I mostly dress in whatever I like regardless if it flatters me or not except in a few cases. I refuse to wear dresses/shorts that are below the knee but not full length becuase my calves are proportionally huge and make the rest of me look huge when thats the only part exposed. At 5'3" and 105 I still have to get boots stretched to fit my calves :doh: Also if something doesnt nessecarily make me look fat or short, but just doesnt fall right and doesn't do justice to the clothes. I've had that happen a lot when I order something that looks great on the model, but just doesnt look right on me even though I dont think it makes me look bigger.

I think having a good taste- is to wear what flatters your body.
I do not understand why short legged girls wear cropped pants? I see so many of them.

GuessGirl
Off topic

Do you mind explaining to me what stretching the boot means? As in how to do it? Where? How much money? Limits? You may want to PM if you wish. Thanks in advance.

why_fashion said:
GuessGirl
Off topic

Do you mind explaining to me what stretching the boot means? As in how to do it? Where? How much money? Limits? You may want to PM if you wish. Thanks in advance.

I take the boots to the cobbler, he uses these wooden tools to stretch out the leather. He charges like $12. The limits are based on the leather, typically the softer the leather the more it will stretch w/o ruining the look. Hope this helps some :flower:

There's never an excuse for badly proportioned men's shoes. Apart from that, everything goes.

Unfortunately, at 5'3", and (although fairly slim) with some curves, there is a LOT of high fashion that I'm not wearing. :(

So, I stick with a very classic style. All of the variety comes from my shoes and jewelry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aza
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->