Fashion: at the expense of your figure?

I'm sorry, but girls who forgoe flattering their figures for fashion are insane!

I dress to look as tall and slim as humanly possible, not to look like a trendwhore.

I'm short and squat, so I'm aware of the limitations of my body. I dress to elongate, and because of that, people pften think I'm taller than I actually am. So, no skinny jeans, leggings or anything of that nature. I'd rather look the best I possibly can than wear fashionable clothes. And looking good NEVER goes out of style :D

And, LOL, I'm sorry, but gauchos don't look good on ANYONE! :lol:

xmodel citizen said:
I'm sorry, but girls who forgo flattering their figures for fashion are insane!

I dress to look as tall and slim as humanly possible, not to look like a trendwhore.

........ I'd rather look the best I possibly can than wear fashionable clothes. And looking good NEVER goes out of style :D

D*mn Straight!

I thought the world was going mad on me here- Karma for you!

everyone that differs from me is so insane. i hate it!. ^_^

dont worry. i also tend to get my inner bitchy out on the streets every now and then. more now than then these days haha. but i see your point, my friends are pretty much like that, the idea of picking out an outfit without the smallest body consideration is unfathomable to them. but.. to each their own, i guess. :P

I think it's all really subjective personally, you can wear some thing ill fitting or 'unflattering' but still look cool and sexy IMO. Personally I am more intrested in looking interesting than flattering my body. I'm not even really sure what flatters my body, but I like how I dress, and I think people who dress similare to my self look good, attractive, whatever

aris said:

I know my body very well and I'm my worst critic
I'd never wear cropped pants, no matter how fashionable they are. My calves are not perfect and I do not want to attract attention towards them.

and cropped pants makes everybody legs shorter.

I also do not understand the concept of the cropped pants - why they need to be cropped?
here is an example - the same perfect model in cropped and long jeans from Blaec.com
if you have less than perfect legs...then maybe YOU shouldn't wear cropped pants...

but that doesn't mean they look bad on everyone...
that statement is patently false..
*those jeans, however - are better long...
the length of the cropped ones is awkward...
but i bet the cropped ones would look alright with a deep cuff...
^_^

if you are talking aboout flattering one's figure...
then you HAVE to take the FIGURE into account..
and everyone's figure is different...
so it's hard to make sweeping statements like that one...

ditto for culottes aka gauchos...
we have a whole thread on them and there are plenty of pics of them looking really chic and stylish and even sexy...
chloe did them especially well....
**a good pair actually does wonders for disguising wide hips...
and erego- will flatter your figure a great deal...

:flower:..
again....balance is the key...that is all there is to it really....

now I am tall and thin, and contrary to popular belief I cannot wear everything. The most inportant things to me are comfort and fit. They have to suit my body shape - emphasising good parts and hiding bad parts (yes I do have some, who doesnt?). I love to follow trends too but I only buy things that I know are going to suit me and my body. There are somethings that come into fashion that do not suit anyone and then there are things that suit everyone. You just got to find out where in the spectrum you fit. If i like something and it suits me, then I but it. If it doesnt meet both of these it stays in the shop!

litchickuk said:
now I am tall and thin, and contrary to popular belief I cannot wear everything. The most inportant things to me are comfort and fit. They have to suit my body shape - emphasising good parts and hiding bad parts (yes I do have some, who doesnt?). I love to follow trends too but I only buy things that I know are going to suit me and my body. There are somethings that come into fashion that do not suit anyone and then there are things that suit everyone. You just got to find out where in the spectrum you fit. If i like something and it suits me, then I but it. If it doesnt meet both of these it stays in the shop!

Exactly! I love some trends, I just have to be careful and make sure that the trend suits me. Like, skinny jeans are a no, but I do love masculine clothing (super tailored jackets ala Balenciaga). So instead of pairing it with skinny pants, I wear wide leg trousers. :D

It took me years to realize that it was far better to dress my body properly, than wear what was fashionable at the time. In fact, following trends blindly is what lead to a good 5 to 6 years of pictures I wish would just disappear.

There are plenty of styles today that I simply love, but could never pull off because of my short height, or my larger bust line. Of course I eye them lovingly in the store window.... but quickly remind myself that dressing my figure properly is far better than wearing something that even though I may love.... it's almost a guarantee hardly no one else would love it on me. lol

dressing according to your body's standards is not antonym of what's called 'dressing fashionable', in my very own case, it has absolutely nothing to do with that, it's not like i see bubble-everything and throw it on simply because bubble-everything is 'trendy'. I'm sure i'm not the only person who likes playing with shapes and different structures..i find it quite fun and i love the creative process that comes along. and that doesnt mean i go out dressed as an apple!.

^^ No, I love different shapes and structures. I mean, my favorite designers are Viktor&Rolf and Balenciaga! But, if it makes ME look silly and dumpy, then I won't wear it. And I'm not against some trends. I LOVE bubble skirts and I think that they're flattering to my figure.

And like you, I'm all about balance too. If I wear a bubble skirt, I pair it with a more tailored top. It's just that personally, I want to make my body look as good as humanly possible (which is HARD :lol: )

I dunno, maybe it's all the "What Not To Wear" I watch! :lol:

MulletProof said:
dressing according to your body's standards is not antonym of what's called 'dressing fashionable'

xmodel citizen said:
^^ No, I love different shapes and structures. I mean, my favorite designers are Viktor&Rolf and Balenciaga! But, if it makes ME look silly and dumpy, then I won't wear it.

Yeah Exactly- both very good points! Some trends can be made to work- if you take yourself into consideration.

And practice balance
IE: volume with fitted, patterns with solids

Softgrey said:
if you are talking aboout flattering one's figure...
then you HAVE to take the FIGURE into account..
and everyone's figure is different...

And of course you're right softgrey! -- people with different body types look good in different kinds of things.
Though looks which obscure the waist I still cant stand on anyone

P.Peach said:
In fact, following trends blindly is what lead to a good 5 to 6 years of pictures I wish would just disappear.
:lol: :lol: That was my high school years. I look back, and feel like "God I just looked like a moron!" and I really thought I looked good at the time.... :ninja:

So now I try really really hard to not do trends which will look stupid in 5 yrs time. I try to wear clothes that look like... Clothes, and maybe some trends here or there mixed in.

(of course if I still want to try something really experimental, i just avoid getting my picture taken!:P)

P.Peach said:
In fact, following trends blindly is what lead to a good 5 to 6 years of pictures I wish would just disappear.
quote]

pictures like that are what keep me away from the paperbag waist trend...

:lol:

*at least i am not repeating the mistakes of my youth...:P

I'm in high school right now so I'm reeealllly trying to avoid having embarrassing pictures! My freshman year pictures are bad enough, I don't want to look horrible for my senior year! :lol:

xmodel citizen said:

I'm in high school right now so I'm reeealllly trying to avoid having embarrassing pictures! My freshman year pictures are bad enough, I don't want to look horrible for my senior year! :lol:

Please, for the love of god, take advantage of all of the immense wisdom you have around you and just avoid silly trends as a whole. :wink:

Let's see.... things I wore in highschool that completely blow my mind today:
- Baggy jeans. I mean baggy. I was never a really thin girl, and we all know that hiding in a potato sack doesn't make your figure look any better.

- Same goes for baggy t-shirts. Firstly, I believe it was a reaction to sprouting breasts at the speed of which the weeds take over my garden. Practically overnight. And secondly, music was something so many of us used to identify ourselves. I just foolishly plastered the band name across my chest in the form of a far too large t-shirt. Now I look back and think, "Gee, a sticker on one of my school folders really could have done the trick"

- Jeans with strange washes. Sure, they looked cool and everyone wore them, however I think I could have lived my life without ever highlighting my less than perfect thighs so well.

- Oh the horror of platform sneakers. I blame this on the Spice Girls.

Really, I could go on for quite some time, but then I'd be hijacking the thread. Either way... don't foolishly buy into something because a single other person on this earth of 6.5 billion people looked good in it.

I don't really see the problem to be honest.. if we were having this conversation 10 years ago.. then yes.. there might be a dilemma.. but today were 'the seasons style' isn't just one but a multitude of different styles, and a greater acceptance of individuality..I don't see the expense or sacrifice..
You want to show of your bod ? wear something that hides your flaws ? accentuates your good points ? take your pick..it doesn't have to be either/or.

P.Peach, I'm trying! Everyone at my school wear super tight emo pants, leggings with jean skirts, or Hollister and A&F ripped jeans and tshirts, or even *shudder* pants and short shorts emblazoned with the brand name on the butt!

People always ask why I'm dressed up because I love a-line and bubble skirts, and well-cut jackets with heels, btu I'm just honestly trying to look the best I can.

Regarding cropped pants ... I'm wearing them right now. The issue I have is, I'm 5'4" and long-waisted. I'm also not petite--I want the regular rise. Often regular slacks are so long on me that by the time you chop them off to hem them, the shape is destroyed. So often I buy cropped because I can wear them without alteration :P and often they're just the right length to show off the details of my shoes. Paired with heels, I find them flattering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aza
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->