Comme des Garçons F/W 09.10 Paris

I feel like this is the collection i've been wanting her to do for ages.
It strongly recalls early cdg in its simplicity--the muted palette, the cropped knits, the plain sheer overlays
But she's also exploring the concept of outerwear and of layering itself in a way i haven't quite seen her do before. I really feel like she is at her best when is working through an issue of construction in a purely formal way.
heart.gif

Lovely, lovely collection...it will be the first season in some time that as a CDG customer, i'm not bypassing Rei for Tao and Junya.
wub.gif

Agree on all accounts, but esp. that bit...
She's been doing very well, but this one just has that finesse that has been lacking in many of the recent collections...

Many looks/pieces feel very toned-down broken bride to me...
That collection, can't remember the season (f/w 05 or 06?), is up there for me... :heart:

The styling is really what intrigues me... It's so inspiring...
Such a great play on proportions and lovely jaunt into asymmetry, which can become rather mundane if done in a trite fashion...

Anyhow, I love... Rei's got a hit with this one, imo... :heart::heart::heart:

oh my it's deliriously gorgeous! doing everything that i adore....capes,military,layering....but all with a sensitive and playful hand.

anybody know what the concept is? i'd love to read what it all means because there's a few assessments one could draw.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do actually love it :shock::heart:
I would like to see stlists versions from the looks... Unfortunately press is not using Comme as it used to.

*sighs*...:crush:...the things I'll do to own some of these pieces, this is trully on of my favorite collections of her:heart:

Comme des Garcons: Magic Act

By Cathy Horyn

For any number of reasons, many things in fashion look dated. Magazines look dated. Stores look dated. Lots of clothes look dated, including many we saw only yesterday. We’ve seen talented designers put forward craft and savoir faire, like Alber Elbaz with a super Lanvin collection. And many others have surprised us by moving in a new or more accessible direction, like Nicolas Ghesquiere at Balenciaga with his satin drapery and John Galliano with his Persian motifs at Dior. But while these collections show a great deal of hard work and focus — as you’d expect, given the daunting economic picture — we feel somehow they are not very ambitious. They are almost too easy to understand. The mastery of a particular dressmaking technique, however pleasing the result, is not proof of an extraordinary sensibility. Indeed, after marveling at a technique we gradually come to realize that it’s still the same old technique and that really nothing has changed or improved our understanding of fashion. We feel empty, in fact.
Tonight, in her Comme des Garcons show, Rei Kawakubo used all the traditional techniques. She had drapery and tailoring, and she was aware of creating an attractive silhouette, as many designers have been this season. Yet where the brilliant Ms. Kawakubo parted company with the rest is her powerful sensibility. It is always in control. She opened with tent dresses in pale beige tulle and others in olive drab, the models’ faces covered by strips of tulle embroidered with a single red sequin smudge, as if from a kiss. The models’ hair looked like balls of fuchsia yarn, and they wore tulle leggings that sagged like limp nylons.
With those basic elements — and basically weird elements — Ms. Kawakubo began to express the notion that “nothing is as it appears,” as she characterized her purpose later backstage.
The olive drab tent became a canvas for a jacket pattern, drawn in black lines with dots to mark buttons. In the next incarnation there was a poncho coat that combined a rose wool plaid with the top half of a khaki trench coat. Another poncho coat, in a bold black-and-white check, had a square corner of olive drab near the hem. From a shapeless mass of fabric, then, she found the elements she needed to produce not merely tailored and draped garments but also a series of beautiful silhouettes. Her most effective results were with the tulle. She used it to literally encase or trap layers of cream pleated dresses, creating a single garment. These were ingenious: long, slim dresses with feminine frills, including strands of pearls, held and compressed by a tulle skin. The show, presented in the round, ended with a bittersweet version of the song “Mad World.”
Maybe it’s no surprise that Ms. Kawakubo has been responsible for a number of the truly emotional experiences in fashion. This was another of those occasions. The applause was loud and long. The designer did not come out, of course. She almost never does. When I got backstage, she was waiting alone, staring at something on the floor. She had on an olive drab jacket and sunglasses that blended with her shiny hair.

what an amazing review. I liked that she used the word sensibility cause that's exactly what I got while looking at this.. someone that feels the time and translates it into garments, not the other way around. :heart:

and kiddo, the pernet shots are superb!!!.

i like it

me too! :smile:

i actually knew on forehand that i was gonna love junya and comme, because i need an alternative to wide shoulders :smile: so sick of them

makes me so happy!

and i was feeling empty after seeing Lanvin :smile: cathy's always right

This is my favorite collection for the day. :D
The transparency is absolutely magical. I also love the outlined little details on some of the pieces, it looks wonderful.
Those layers and the rather exaggerated silhouettes make me feel warm and cozy. ^_^ For some reason I get quite a comforted feeling just looking at this collection.

Amazing collection!:heart: Love those prints!

Wonderful collection. Really great. I especially love the airy, nude pieces at the end.

Although, my favorite part is the cotton candy, 18th century rolled hairstyles and the off-set 'kiss' on the tulle wrapped around the models' faces!

The models look sad? or its just my idea......

Either way, I know Rei doesn't aspire to be, in any way, wearable and I normally don't like CDG at all so, for me, this is still a relatively strong collection of hers. :smile:

in addition to the photos i also love diane's description....angels and blankets,protection and recession. not to get overanalytical but perhaps there's quite a substance in that...each element does seem to represent some kind of translation of the world we're right now. militray=surplus etc.

Either way, I know Rei doesn't aspire to be, in any way, wearable and I normally don't like CDG at all so, for me, this is still a relatively strong collection of hers. :smile:

On the contrary, Rei has said that she always wishes her clothes to be comfortable. and people i have spoken to who have tried on her more outlandish creations say they are quite comfortable to wear. maybe they weren't top heavy though. but saying Rei aspires to make unwearable clothes is off the mark.

On the contrary, Rei has said that she always wishes her clothes to be comfortable. and people i have spoken to who have tried on her more outlandish creations say they are quite comfortable to wear. maybe they weren't top heavy though. but saying Rei aspires to make unwearable clothes is off the mark.

Oh, I can imagine that they could well be comfortable but, to me, comfort is only one element of a garment being considered 'wearable'.

What I mean (and what I think most people mean) by the term 'wearable' is both comfortable and fairly (although, not necessarily completely) conventional; not just that it can, literally, be worn without causing discomfort.

It's not necessarily an insult to say something isn't 'wearable'; some may think of it as a plus, in fact.

I think it depends on one's point of view. :smile:

Oh, I just ABSOLUTELY love the contrast of the utilitarian, miliary-esque clothes with the 'let them eat cake' hair!:heart::heart::heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->