Tao Comme des Garçons Label to End

kasper!

Reaction score
Just saw this on WWD.

Tao Kurihara has decided to end the label Tao Comme des Garçons. The last collection will be spring-summer 2011.

:cry:

that's quite shocking

although i kind of lost interest in her work over the years, her 2nd collection with all the tie-dye was extremely nice though!

this hits a profound sad spot to the core. i admire how most of her recent collections have been so reminiscent of historic japanese culture, tapping into patterns you see either on the countryside or the street. visionaries such as tao are so far and few, her talent is immeasurable when it comes to raw thread and fabric that she so femininely folds to form. i cant imagine she will be still without moving forward in some way...

PARIS – Tao Kurihara has decided to end the label Tao Comme des Garçons. The last collection will be spring-summer 2011.

“Tao wants to have a change of lifestyle and prefers to concentrate her creative energies on the ever popular label Tricot Comme des Garçons, shown in Tokyo twice a year,” according to a statement from the company.

For the complete story, see Wednesday's issue of WWD.
source | wwd.com

:cry:

so I guess, the S/S 11 show was the last we saw of her?.

Tao's shows were one of the few remaining sources of pure creativity and originality left in fashion. It gets emptier and emptier every season.. so sad.

in my mind tricot is fine but tao cdg is [was] special.

PARIS — It was to be a short but sweet adventure for Tao Comme des Garçons.

Tao Kurihara, the Japanese designer behind the whimsical label, said Tuesday that she will stop creating the brand, just six years after first showing her creations.

“Tao wants to have a change of lifestyle and prefers to concentrate her creative energies on the ever-popular label Tricot Comme des Garçons, shown in Tokyo twice a year,” Comme des Garçons stated.

Adrian Joffe, chief executive officer of Comme des Garçons International, was not available to comment on the news.

Kurihara’s spring ready-to-wear collection, which showed in Paris in October and is currently arriving in stores, is her last.

Tao Comme des Garçons is sold in some 50 specialty stores worldwide, including Comme des Garçons boutiques. U.S. stockists include Barneys New York, If SoHo in New York City and Ikram in Chicago.

A spokesman for Parisian concept store Colette, one of the brand’s retailers, said creative director and buyer Sarah Lerfel was “speechless” when she heard the news, but did not wish to comment further.

Kurihara, a graduate of Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design, was designer Junya Watanabe’s assistant for seven years before launching her own label. Watanabe had received similar protégé treatment from Comme des Garçons’ founder and designer Rei Kawakubo several years earlier and still creates his own collections for the avant-garde firm.

Kurihara is lauded for creating designs that combine pretty, feminine aspects with Japanese intensity.
source | wwd.com

It's really unfortunate that real and actual design talent is made to go this way, without even giving it the opportunity to really take hold and blossom further. One of the very few young designers with a unique and wonderful vision.

I hope Tricot Comme des Garcons will provide enough of an outlet for her to continue and realize that vision.

oh no! thank heavens i love me some tricot too so it's less stinging,i think.

mike,what do you mean it doesn't surprise you? economically? i dunno it's grown pretty popular since her initial collection. as its evolved people have grown very fond.

i just hope,given the buzz over her for namesake,tricot will get the attention.

mike,what do you mean it doesn't surprise you? economically? i dunno it's grown pretty popular since her initial collection. as its evolved people have grown very fond.

in this environment, we've seen many fashion houses fold due to economic constraints. everyone from christian lacroix to phi to luella to yohji yamamoto has fallen victim to this latest pinch. so this really doesn't come as surprising news when put in that context.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julovw
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->