Comme Des Garçons S/S 2004 - Paris

Astrid21

Reaction score
I thought the collection was very pure and simple. :heart: Nothing more, nothing less. Very artistic, imo.

Kawakubo said the show was about "designing from shapeless, abstract, intangible forms, not taking into account the body."

Last edited by a moderator:
Details :arrow:

100116771.jpg
100116776.jpg

At the end of the show, Adrian Joffe, Kawakubo's husband, was standing by with assurances that there are plenty of jackets in the showroom.

i love it. very smart. all the pieces tie and lead into one another. it's a very academic study of form, shape and color. :wink:

I am so bumed! :doh: I was toying with the same idea, on just showing skirts (I thought of it like 4 moths ago!) :angry:

Great minds think alike, do they? B)

Well he probably could do it much better, abstract isn't really my forte and as I said it was just an idea. :wink:

Originally posted by ignitioned32@Oct 9th, 2003 - 5:19 am
Well he probably could do it much better, abstract isn't really my forte and as I said it was just an idea. :wink:
Rei is a woman. :flower:

Originally posted by Astrid21+Oct 9th, 2003 - 5:35 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Astrid21 @ Oct 9th, 2003 - 5:35 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-ignitioned32@Oct 9th, 2003 - 5:19 am
Rei is a woman. :flower: [/b][/quote]
Okay, then she! :flower: Thx

Originally posted by NYT.com@ October 9, 2003
09fash.1.comme.jpg

The Lady Ascends an Old Pedestal

By CATHY HORYN

PARIS, Oct. 8 — It will probably come as a shock tomorrow morning to the harried woman boarding the 7:12 from Greenwich to learn, as she settles down next to the gentleman on her right and the first smear of lipstick daubs her coffee cup, that she belongs on a pedestal after all. Feminism and diapers have told her otherwise. But to the extent that the runway is a pedestal, and dressmakers are her servants, the lady is about to ascend.

It was Rei Kawakubo's startling show on Wednesday for Comme des Garçons that solidified this notion after an exceptional day in which female beauty was the main event of the spring 2004 collections. Ms. Kawakubo had the audacity to show a collection of only skirts, and on a pedestal of plywood — without serious tops, without sufficient lighting, without shoes or those must-have bags, without jewels and with only the plaintive sound, at the very end, of a Portuguese song.

"What is the meaning?" one editor whispered to another as a succession of models emerged from the backstage darkness, their breasts veiled in chiffon, and made their way down the long narrow runway, their full cotton skirts gathered in soft folds. Some were cut in circle shapes, others as if by a draftsman's curl, and still more like a clover.

"Abstract excellence," Ms. Kawakubo said in her enigmatic fashion, explaining that she wanted to concentrate on free-form shapes, and only on that. At a time when the fashion business demands a multiplicity of roles for designers — merchant, marketeer, bag huckster and only occasionally dressmaker — Ms. Kawakubo had the tranquillity of mind to show just one thing. This was an important show because it broke through the wall of noise that is fashion, which has caused many women, perhaps on tomorrow's 7:12, simply to tune out.

Though poetry is powerful, it becomes a cheap word when applied to fashion, a throwaway term for collections too puzzling to bother decrypting. In concentrating her energies on the most powerful article of female dress, Ms. Kawakubo did not choose lightly. The models' coronet hats, by the way, were based on an African custom of wrapping the horns of bulls in bright cloth.

:woot: this skirt from the back :wub:

Comme des garcons is the kind of collection one needs to see up close, really.
From these skirts (love the idea of just-one-item collection presantation) we just take a very general idea, if we could see them up close, i'm sure we be speachless, Rei & her design lab are masters of cut and drape, constantly elaborating on revolutionary ideas and new forms.
even though I'm largely pass my yearslong CDG obsession, i really respect the label for what it stands for. :heart:

Originally posted by Lena@Oct 9th, 2003 - 8:37 am

From these skirts (love the idea of just-one-item collection presantation) we just take a very general idea, if we could see them up close, i'm sure we be speachless, Rei & her design lab are masters of cut and drape, constantly elaborating on revolutionary ideas and new forms.
even though I'm largely pass my yearslong CDG obsession, i really respect the label for what it stands for. :heart:
you're absolutely right, Lena! when i stopped by CDG store for the first time, i had an almost out--of-body experience :o Everything Rei makes is just breathtaking.

They are so beautiful! I love this, looking more simple but being in reality much work to create :heart: and also I love how the hats are standing out, because it is not much color on the body. It's beautiful!

Originally posted by Serena+Oct 9th, 2003 - 9:03 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Serena @ Oct 9th, 2003 - 9:03 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lena@Oct 9th, 2003 - 8:37 am

you're absolutely right, Lena! when i stopped by CDG store for the first time, i had an almost out--of-body experience :o Everything Rei makes is just breathtaking. [/b][/quote]
This is very true! :heart:

mmmmm more towards Lena than Acid. I think some of the skirts are fab but still not for me.

Originally posted by Astrid21+Oct 9th, 2003 - 8:23 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Astrid21 @ Oct 9th, 2003 - 8:23 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Acid@Oct 9th, 2003 - 2:46 pm
sorry but i think this is awful.  :blink:
:lol: I would have figured so, Acid. :wink: :heart: [/b][/quote]
:lol: to me this collection is a complete JOKE

c'mon........whats happened to REAL fashion :blink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikkitas46
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"