Cover Rumor Thread

This first black photographer shooting the Cover is a great thing and kudos to Beyoncé for deciding it and for Anna to approve it but this got me, one more time, questioning ALT...
He was the creative director of American Vogue for years. He was one of those who had the influence to choose emerging talents to show to Anna...
Nothing! His contribution to the magazine and the industry seems more and more superficial when you have this kind of news..

You got a point but I don't think it's fair to really blame the whole thing on him. If anything, he was even more a "Yes Man" than Edward imo. I have always been under the impression that he had this "don't bite the hand that feeds you" mentality during his years at Vogue despite having the willingness to break boundaries.

These days, the demand for diversity is at its peak. At some point, Anna has to find a way to join the bandwagon without relying on the same idea of shooting a bunch of diverse individuals from all kinds of races, sizes, and whatnot. And let's face it, shooting Beyonce for a cover, even for a lucrative month like September is a rather obvious move on her part (not that she's the most fearless EIC either these days). So one thing led to another, news such as Beyonce's unprecedented control over her cover and the appointment of a black photographer to shoot it are very much needed to:
a. drive home the point of diversity
b. create overwhelming anticipation for the cover
c. be risky without taking the magazine to the outre territory (because unfortunately for most editors, shooting any black celebrity but Rihanna, Beyonce, Serena, and Lupita is still considered outre)

The whole thing to me is a collaboration between Anna and Beyonce's PR team. The former wants people to talk about her magazine, the latter wants people to notice how powerful Beyonce has gotten as a black celebrity.

Carine's work for Bazaar is absolute dross, and typically ends up being the worst content in every worldwide edition it appears in.

Every story Carine does for Bazaar lacks imagination and creativity but then again it's Bazaar. Always take a turn and end up tacky. Although the beauty story she did with AVF I didn't mind...

I’m sure it was said in this thread that Kate Moss was September by Mert & Marcus

There was also a rumor regarding Gisele Bundchen having shot a cover of Vogue Paris.

According to an ad in UK Tatler, the next issue of UK Glamour - now a biannual mag - is out on 13th September.

Speaking of diversity; what a shame Constance Wu hasn’t landed a single major cover. I hoped she might get August Vogue, or even Sept Elle, but....

I have agree with those a few pages ago that it comes off as very condescending to black people, to finally bestow the honor of photographing the cover US Vogue to a black individual only to have it be someone that wouldn't merit said job under different circumstances, but got it regardless, just because a celebrity wanted to make some sort of political statement. It lessens the landmark somehow for me since it comes off more like a PR gimmick. A more talented black photographer is somewhere outthere, I'm sure.

US Vogue could also be more diverse (and god knows it needs to be) by simply looking beyond the english speaking world, someone like Txema Yeste is too good of a talent to be hidden away on the pages of Numero, he has proven his worth as a FASHION photographer first and foremost. One can only dream...*sighs*

PS: Hoping to not be sent to deplorable hell for this post.

I have agree with those a few pages ago that it comes off as very condescending to black people, to finally bestow the honor of photographing the cover US Vogue to a black individual only to have it be someone that wouldn't merit said job under different circumstances, but got it regardless, just because a celebrity wanted to make some sort of political statement. It lessens the landmark somehow for me since it comes off more like a PR gimmick. A more talented black photographer is somewhere outthere, I'm sure.

US Vogue could also be more diverse (and god knows it needs to be) by simply looking beyond the english speaking world, someone like Txema Yeste is too good of a talent to be hidden away on the pages of Numero, he has proven his worth as a FASHION photographer first and foremost. One can only dream...*sighs*

PS: Hoping to not be sent to deplorable hell for this post.

It's definitely easy to have mixed feelings about it. It just reflects poorly on Anna and the magazine as a whole that it took Beyonce contractually forcing them to use a Black photographer. There are plenty of extraordinary Black artists out there who should have been selected a long time ago for their talent alone.

You got a point but I don't think it's fair to really blame the whole thing on him. If anything, he was even more a "Yes Man" than Edward imo. I have always been under the impression that he had this "don't bite the hand that feeds you" mentality during his years at Vogue despite having the willingness to break boundaries.

These days, the demand for diversity is at its peak. At some point, Anna has to find a way to join the bandwagon without relying on the same idea of shooting a bunch of diverse individuals from all kinds of races, sizes, and whatnot. And let's face it, shooting Beyonce for a cover, even for a lucrative month like September is a rather obvious move on her part (not that she's the most fearless EIC either these days). So one thing led to another, news such as Beyonce's unprecedented control over her cover and the appointment of a black photographer to shoot it are very much needed to:
a. drive home the point of diversity
b. create overwhelming anticipation for the cover
c. be risky without taking the magazine to the outre territory (because unfortunately for most editors, shooting any black celebrity but Rihanna, Beyonce, Serena, and Lupita is still considered outre)

The whole thing to me is a collaboration between Anna and Beyonce's PR team. The former wants people to talk about her magazine, the latter wants people to notice how powerful Beyonce has gotten as a black celebrity.

You’re right about the whole thing but my frustration with Andre came from his sudden wake-up call on his position in this industry after 40 years or something.

He put himself in that position of a « Yes Man » because he didn’t wanted to risk his comfort in the industry. Ok until maybe the early 00’s there was a real impression of diversity in the industry...Someone like Michael Roberts was an editor and a photographer, even Karl had a black man has his collaborator for more than 30 years (Eric Wright) and before The Prada model started to influence the runways and reflect in others parts of the industry, people never thought about it.

I should be more indulgent with Andre but I can’t because he had a voice. Yes he did Michelle Obama, was influential in having Jennifer Hudson on the cover and all but it says a lot already about the responsibility and the trust he had from Anna.

It’s not Anna’s job to find photographers. She sure notice them when they starting to make noise or after they have proven their talent in others Vogue...

I wonder if this Beyoncé thing (imposing your photographer) will influence other celebrities in the future. And if it does, i predict a big return of models in the covers...

You’re right about the whole thing but my frustration with Andre came from his sudden wake-up call on his position in this industry after 40 years or something.

He put himself in that position of a « Yes Man » because he didn’t wanted to risk his comfort in the industry. Ok until maybe the early 00’s there was a real impression of diversity in the industry...Someone like Michael Roberts was an editor and a photographer, even Karl had a black man has his collaborator for more than 30 years (Eric Wright) and before The Prada model started to influence the runways and reflect in others parts of the industry, people never thought about it.

I should be more indulgent with Andre but I can’t because he had a voice. Yes he did Michelle Obama, was influential in having Jennifer Hudson on the cover and all but it says a lot already about the responsibility and the trust he had from Anna.

It’s not Anna’s job to find photographers. She sure notice them when they starting to make noise or after they have proven their talent in others Vogue...

I wonder if this Beyoncé thing (imposing your photographer) will influence other celebrities in the future. And if it does, i predict a big return of models in the covers...

Yes it is. She's the Editor of the magazine and has complete creative control of what and who appears on the pages of Vogue.
ALT was always out for ALT. When you scratched below the surface, he accomplished very little for the kind of access he had for decades.
Now he's whining about how the industry doesn't care about him. Boy bye.

Anna isn't responsible for Vogue shutting out black photographers for 126 years, but she is responsible for their absence from every single cover since 1988. That's on her. As much as I'm not excited about another Beyonce September cover, I am glad that she used her power to give a boost to a talented young black artist. I'm interested to see what he's done with her. I'm sure he's not worse than the 90% of overhyped white photographers that are currently sucking the life out of fashion.

And more celebrities should be using their power.
Vogue needs them more than they need Vogue.

Vogue NL September are Yasmin Wijnaldum, Brigit Kos and Kiki Willerms

I'm already bored of September covers.
Who's hot for October?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->