Cows Milk vs. Soy Milk?

ninins said:
can you say, propaghanda?

Why? They don't say anything untrue (unless you're lactose intolerant), but of course you can have beautiful skin and hair without drinking cow milk.

JamieRL said:
lactose intolerance and milk allergies are not natural. They are because of bad imunities that we all have due to the way we over clean everything, eat food thats been bleached etc... in the days where food was not processed and all natural (200 yrs ago) noone had half of the allergies we have today.

You're right about allergies but intolerances are 100% genetic, nothing related to immunology. Lactose intolerant people cannot degrade lactose because they can't synthesize lactase (a digestive enzyme) due to a recessive mutation in its gene.

Oh, and people suffered from allergies 200 years ago, you have to go back to thousands of years ago to find the "beggining" of allergic responses. People have been allergic to lots of things before food started to be so overprocessed.

chicfay said:
ohh and can some one tell me a bit more about almond milk? so its lactose free.. but is it good for u? i mean i know ur only supposed to have up to 7 almonds a day, because of the fat, so how can u drink almond milk ? isnt it fattening and doesnt it have a lot of calories? is soy milk better in that sense?

You can drink it unless you're allergic to almonds (I am:cry: ), but I don't see why you have to do it. We are told to drink cow milk because of the calcium, and you're not gonna find calcium in almond milk or soy milk unless it's been artificially added. I'd rather take calcium pills than do that, unless you want to drink it because you like it or any other reason.

Nuts do have a lot of calories, far more than soy.

Well, with almond milk, especially if you make it yourself, you can decide the concentration pretty easily. I haven't seen any almond milk for sale over here, only rice and soy, so i'm assuming that it isn't really requested by the general public.

As far as calcium goes, I take multi vitamins, so i get 25mg of calcium a day, plus I eat a f*cktonne of spinach (so cheap and tasty) so I reckon i'm getting enough, even if my soy milk isn't fortified.

I just typed out a really long message with lots of links but then it said that the edit window had expired and I couldn't hit back :cry: So here's a basic summary of what I typed before, without descriptions this time because it would take too long.

http://www.godecookery.com/goderec/grec31.htm medieval cooking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almond_milk wikipedia stub

http://almondsarein.com fun site all about almonds

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/ca...-Y2lkPTM4MjUmYmlkPTEmZmlkPTk4NDE1JnBhcj0.html nutritional breakdown for the product 'Almond Breeze'

http://www.dolenutrition.com/articledetails.aspx?RecId=141 dairy vs alternatives

http://www.indiangyan.com/books/healthbooks/food_that_heal/home5.shtml importance of nuts and seeds in a diet

http://homecooking.about.com/cs/atozfoodindex/ht/almond_milk.htm how to make almond milk

http://www.health4youonline.com/nutrition_facts_lactose_intolerance.htm what is lactose intolerance

http://www.mealsforyou.com/cgi-bin/recipe?id.11026 almond milk recipe with nutritional breakdown

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/...hich_is_the_best_alternative_milk_for_you.htm which is the best for you?

cow milk is nasty I haven't had it for 10 years. I tried a bite of real ice cream and the milky taste nearly made me throw up. it's something you don't taste when you are used to it.
I love soy and will never ever go back.

I used to hate cow's milk, it always tasted bitter to me.

I grew up drinking rice milk, but hate it now, because it's essentially nothing but sugar water.

Loved almond milk, but haven't been able to use it in 5 years because of a nut allergy (Irene, thanks for pointing out some facts about allergies, there's a lot of commonly held to be true misinformation out there).

Can't drink soy milk as soy makes me gassy, and I don't like to be around other people who drink/eat a lot of soy because they tend to have the same problem, no matter their loud protestations that they don't. Maybe it's just the people in my area, but it's enough to make me want to ban it as a food.

So now I'm back to cow's milk. I like organic 2% - use it in cooking and crave an occasional glass, as a treat. I don't use it to get calcium because leafy greens are a far better source.

o_o I'm hardly ever gassy or bloated now that i've switched to soy and cut out the majority of my dairy so I find that really odd...maybe it's something else you're eating?

I prefer plain rice milk to plain soy but I just love my caramel soy too, although its a treat for me

misssakura said:
o_o I'm hardly ever gassy or bloated now that i've switched to soy and cut out the majority of my dairy so I find that really odd...maybe it's something else you're eating?

For me personally, I'm 100% sure it's the soy. I have a lot of food allergies and sensitivies, and often do elimination diets.

My evidence for my vegan cousin and some vegan aquaintances/coworkers is that they are eating the soy (soy milk/frozen dessert, tofu, or edemame - tempeh and miso don't seem to have a negative effect, maybe the fermentation?) chastizing me for my unhealthful, intestine clogging, chicken eating ways, and within 15 minutes are farting unapologetically all over the place :shock:

But it's probably just bad luck (though one of my brothers is austistic with a HUGE intolerance to dairy and wheat - those farts are enough to wipe out small villages - and he also does badly on soy, and we've heard from LOTS of other mothers in the community that their autistic kids, and they themselves, cannot digest soy properly either). Every body is different, and each one has it's own intolerances. You're very lucky you can drink and enjoy soy :flower:

ninins said:
maybe the hormones caused my height to increase but not my boob size, like it has with girls now (yes I think early puberty and big boobs are caused by the artificial hormones in cow's milk)

Old post, but I have to say - not in my case. I got my period at 11, and had a C cup by 12 (on a then healthy 105lb, 5'6" frame) and until that point I had had cow's milk maybe 10 times in my life, if that. And every time, except for one ice cream mickey mouse head, had been straight from an organic farm, and used in cooking in a small amount. We were raised macrobiotic for years, and my mother has always been into alternative ways of eating, and aware of nutrition. Produce from the local farmer's, etc.

By 15, we started getting 1 quart of milk (for a family of 6) from the local dairy per week. My boobs were already a DD by that point, maybe delayed reaction to the mickey mouse head? I drank my first glass of commercially produced cow's milk at 19. It gave me a reaction like missakura's for years. Now I can handle it fine, but have traded that intolerance for others. And I have never knowingly ingested milk or milk products containing artificial hormones in my life.

And yet, early puberty, big boobs, and hormonal imbalance as an adult. Damn ice cream bar :angry:

SiennaInLondon said:
On the question of Calcium, because Calcium is used by the body to absorb Proteins, trying to get Calcium from protein rich milks is kind of pointless. The best way is dark leafy vegetables and salads.

And to add my two pennies worth to the Soy/cow debate, I am furiously against diary as anything other than a treat in a diet. We just aren't designed for it, like we aren't designed for alcohol. We may have made ourselves fairly tolerant (although many aren't especially in Asia where a lot of people are lactose intolerant) but it is not really a question of tolerance because what that really means is that dairy is affecting our digestive systems in the long run but not enough to ellicit a strong allergic reaction. The problem with this is we are damaging ourselves without knowing.

Also what other animal in nature drinks milk past weaning and moreover drinks the milk of another animal. Nature is the best guide. Just like salt isn't good for us -hello why do they say 'salt the ground'? Because plants cannot grow in salted Earth because it is BAD BAD BAD.

Just wanted to add a few points to my post from a few months ago.

Firstly a huge benefit of soy milk over cows milk is that it is (along with Soy Cheese, Goats Milk, Goats Cheese and Whey in the dairy group) of low alkalinity. Raw Milk is acidic and Homogenised milk, cheese, ice cream and custard are all highly acidic. Eggs, butter, yogurt, buttermilk, cottage cheese and cream and all of low acidity. The only thing more alkaline than the first group which Soy milk is in, is breast milk. I am sure you all know the importance of avoiding acid foods where you can.

I illustrate this with the relationship between alkalinity and megahertz frequency.

Big Mac 5 MHz
Chocolate Cake 1-3 MHz
Green Vegetables 70-90 MHz
Raw Almonds 40-50 MHz
Green drink 250-350 MHz (The sort of wheat grass rich juices you can find on the market. They are a quick way to alkalinity)

Your liver 55-60 MHz
Your colon 58-63 MHz
Your brain 72-78 MHz
A Tumour 30 MHz

Therefore higher alkalinity foods are closer in frequency to your natural sustem and further from the frequencies to tumours.

My second point is that you have to be careful with Soy according to the Fat Flush Plan which I am reading not for weight loss (diet books arent really designed for the thin trying to get thinner which is unfortunate for a lot of TFSers!) but for liver health. The book has a lot of information on detoxing and easing your liver. In the FAQ the question asked is whether soy protein powders can replace the recommended whey protein. The author replies no for the following reasons,

"For starters, soy is not a complete protein because it lacks methionine, an important sulphur-bearing amino acid for liver detoxification. Soy is also a top food allergen and contains enzyme inhibitors and phytic acid, which can remove zinc and iron from the body. As a plentiful source of copper, soy can increase of exacerbate hyperactivity, panic attacks, hair loss, adrenal burnout, fatigue and hypothyroidism"

The author says that she also discusses this in her book 'Why Am I Always So Tired?' So basically, either go for goat's milk or better still have soy milk in moderation and make sure you have enough zinc and iron in you. If you notice any of the other symptoms, try curbing your soy intake and see if they ease.

The author also says

"Why protein is a much better protein powder choice. It has the highest protein efficiency ration of all the protein sources and increases production of glutathione, one of the liver's leading antioxidants in the detox process."

"I do think, however, that there is a place for soy isoflavones as a natural horomone-replacement therapy for perimenopausal and menopausal women (women in their early forties through middle fifties). In amounts up to 100mg per day -the amounts Asians typically ingest on a daily basis -soy can be good medicine"

All quotes from 'The Fat Flush Plan' by Ann Louise Gittleman published by McGraw Hill.

Farting is fun...except mine don't smell anymore, well hardly. I feel like i'm flying..wheeeeee

I buy Plain Silk Soymilk Organic. They sell it at your local Wholefoods and elsewhere, I can safely assume.

I bought Vanilla Soymilk a few times but it was overwhelmingly sweet. Just get the plain/regular one, it's like a lighter-healthier and pretty tasty alternative.

well i prefer soy milk handsdown. if i need protein, i cook up a lamb roast :D

One thing you have to watch out for with Soy Milk is that the packaging it comes in usually has an aluminium lining. The milk has a tendency to absorb the aluminium, and this is really bad for your health. There is one company that puts an extra plastic (or similar) lining over the aluminium lining, but unfortunately i cant remember who it is! Sorry!

horizon, 8th continent both have the metal linings...thats why i drink silk (not to mention is tastes the best!)

My best friend used to basically ONLY drink soy milk (Silk) in all varieties: vanilla, unflavored, chocolate... Then she was diagnosed with a severe iron defiency, and her doctor asked her what she ate. Turned out that the soy milk was one of the lead causes, because soy blocks iron absorption in the body. So drink your soy milk in moderation, ladies (I say ladies because we really need our iron)!

I'll rotate between cow's milk (skim), soy, and rice milk. I believe in a well-balanced diet, and I don't want to just drink ONE type of milk because that could have bad side effects (like my friend had). Everything in moderation! :wink:

I've just been pregnant and had to drink calcium enriched milk for the baby, I ate lots of hard cheeses etc - and boy did I get gassy. Now that i've had my baby I've changed to soy that's calcium enriched (with sesame) and its much better. I've also noticed a HUGE reduction in my babies ear wax production (it was literally just dropping out of his ears on a daily basis) since I cut back on the dairy products.

Soy milk. Unless it's organic who knows what kind of artifical hormones and steroids are in cow's milk. Not to mention it smells gross.

chicfay said:
hey.. i just moved to the states and im lactose intolerant and im surprisingly having trouble finding lactose free products. There is lactose free milk here and of course soy products, but i want lactose free yoghurt! i looked in trader joe's and whole foods and cannot find anything. can anyone help me out?

ohh and can some one tell me a bit more about almond milk? so its lactose free.. but is it good for u? i mean i know ur only supposed to have up to 7 almonds a day, because of the fat, so how can u drink almond milk ? isnt it fattening and doesnt it have a lot of calories? is soy milk better in that sense?

Whole Foods and Trader Joe's should have soy yogurts, I get mine there every week. The almond milk carried by WF is actually lower in calories than regular sweetened soy milk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DVV
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->