David Bailey - Photographer

Yppe

Reaction score
I love the Swinging London era, and Bailey is one of the most representative photographers of the era, but trying to find pics, I can't see many fashion pictures, which I'd love to see, only portraits of famous people, or some fashion pictures with Jean Shrimpton.
What do you think about him? Please post pics wich you like.

bailey_shrimpton.jpg

The famous Catherine Deneuve ones

09deneuve1.jpg
10deneuve2.jpg

All pics from pdngallery.com

from www.wildheart.com.au/
"The first and most obvious thing to do is to ooze awareness - and really look and act as if you know what you are doing. That means knowing your camera backwards: never fiddle with it during a shooting session - load it, focus it, fire it, but never fiddle. And get your background sorted out well before its time to press the shutter. Choose where you're going to do your portrait shooting, and place your subject there without dithering." David Bailey, English Portrait and Fashion Photographer.

this here is credited to bailey...and i have to post it since it's the gorgeous, gorgeous patti smith:heart::heart::heart::blush: (i didn't think her a bailey type at all)

Attachments

• bailey2.jpg
    bailey2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 31
Nice thread Yppe :flower:

This is one of my favs...

Attachments

• shrimpton.jpg
    shrimpton.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 32
Thanks!

I love especially the P. Tree pic with her hair braided, but my fav is the one I posted before of Jean Shrimpton and Ossie Clark.

About the quote posted, it's interesting to see how big photographer got interested about it, it seems that a lot of times it is because of the work of other great professionals.

love david bailey's work...so sultry and seductive...
always beautiful...

Attachments

• baileyysl72.jpg
    baileyysl72.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 38
bailey with deneuve...
portrait...1968...

Attachments

• Baileydeneuvecap.jpg
    Baileydeneuvecap.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 41
  • DavidBailey68deneuve.jpg
    DavidBailey68deneuve.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Baileydeneuvecar.jpg
    Baileydeneuvecar.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 32
Wow, Thanks Softfrey! I had never seen those Deneuve ones!

softgrey said:
vogue ...nov 1966...

:heart:

Wow...those are amazing softgrey. Which Vogue is that?...the format looks so different. I love the pics, but also the page layout and some of the the type.

jean shrimpton in 1961 by bailey

Attachments

• jeansh.jpg
    jeansh.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 80
anna karina said:
this here is credited to bailey...and i have to post it since it's the gorgeous, gorgeous patti smith:heart::heart::heart::blush: (i didn't think her a bailey type at all)
isnt patti smith ann D inspiration?

David Bailey's wife Catherine continues to be one of his favorite subjects. She was a model when he married her. Since she doesn't have her own thread in Supporting Cast I'll post the photos I scanned of her here.

From Bailey's book, Models Up Close (scanned by me:(

And just for fun, here's a fairly recent photo of the sexy, swinging, and infamous David Bailey -- and his lovely wife. (source: epi-centre.com)

davidandcatherinebailey.jpg

The first time I was made aware of Bailey, was in 2003, I saw his somewhat controversial "Vagina Exhibition" with Rankin in London. I had properly seen some of his work before, but never knew it was him. So through clinically close up shoots of vaginas, a Clam and a flower thrown in the mix, I was introduced to David Bailey!

An interesting article on the Rankin + Bailey exhibition(2003) Here!

07- JS NY 62 - Twist
artwork_images_365_265074_david-bailey.jpg

08- JS NY 62 - Skyscraper
artwork_images_365_265075_david-bailey.jpg

09- JS NY 62 - Cigarette Machine
artwork_images_365_265077_david-bailey.jpg

artnet.de

Last edited by a moderator:
Man Ray(1969)
artwork_images_365_265070_david-bailey.jpg

Andy Warhol(1965)
artwork_images_365_265063_david-bailey.jpg

John Lennon and Paul McCartney, London(1965)
artwork_images_116810_277601_david-bailey.jpg

artnet.de

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fekk77
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->