Debbie Harry: 'Madonna Stole My Style'

yes its true i guess but isnt it a little late (on both sides) to start a fight i mean its all over ladies just dont be bitter about it jeez.

Madonna is happy recording her new album, Debbie is the one with senile dementia, she probably thinks that she's Madonna, isn't she doing songs for Desperately Seeking Susan the musical? LOL! :lol:

Madonna has influenced every mayor pop artist of the last 20 years, that's what is important to trascend time and space, Watch and learn Debbie and Nemova :P

:lol: Big statement Joseph. I am not so sure that every "mayor [sic] artist" would agree with you.

again, is "heart of glass" rock? :lol: it's pure cheap disco, oh yes, the "punks" jumped on the band wagon, c'mon Britney Spears is more punk attitude than Debbie.

I don't care about if Debbie influenced those nobodies, Madonna has influenced every mayor pop artist of the last 20 years, that's what is important to trascend time and space, Watch and learn Debbie and Nemova :P

Madonna is happy recording her new album, Debbie is the one with senile dementia, she probably thinks that she's Madonna, isn't she doing songs for Desperately Seeking Susan the musical? LOL! :lol:

First of all, you mentioned Heart of Glass, not me. :rolleyes: Second, you show absolute zero knowledge of the history of rock and roll, so you should think twice before saying all these absurdities. If you read my post carefully (which you obviously didn't) you would understand that Debbie Harry, along with those "nobodies", influenced every female rock singer after them (from the likes of Courtney Love to Shirley Manson and Gwen Stefani). Who exactly did Madonna influence? Britney Spears? Christina Aguilera? Jessica Simpson? All these plastic singers who (with the exception of Aguilera) need tons of mixing and spazzy choreographies to conceal their lack of talent.

It's this kind of mentality that allows people like Lindsay Lohan or Paris Hilton to go into a recording studio, sing whatever crap they are given and sell millions of copies of anything as long as it has their face plastered all over it. Talent is underrated, it's all about being a celebrity now and selling millions. I bet a million bucks that, if Madonna didn't have all the "help" she got early in her career, she'd never be where she is now. Cindy Lauper is a thousand times more talented than her and her career flunked. She probably wasn't haging out with the "right crowd". :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
again, is "heart of glass" rock? :lol: it's pure cheap disco, oh yes, the "punks" jumped on the band wagon, c'mon Britney Spears is more punk attitude than Debbie.

And this must the most insane statement I've ever read. :rofl: Good Lord... you have no idea of what you're talking about, do you? :doh:

they probably had the same stylist....

either way....why fuss about it now....
we all know DH in the OG!!!!!

well yes debbie probaly is the bigger has been but as for madonna ok yes she may be recording a new album but the whole world ain't gonna care like they used to:wink:

First of all, you mentioned Heart of Glass, not me. :rolleyes: Second, you show absolute zero knowledge of the history of rock and roll, so you should think twice before saying all these absurdities.

once again, Is "heart of Glass" a rock song? god, if that creepy song is rock I promise to kill myself tomorrow, oh wait, now!

If you read my post carefully (which you obviously didn't) you would understand that Debbie Harry, along with those "nobodies", influenced every female rock singer after them (from the likes of Courtney Love to Shirley Manson and Gwen Stefani). Who exactly did Madonna influence?

sorry if I break your little heart :cry: but check this out

Gwen told Elle magazine recently: “Madonna’s had us over for dinner and stuff, and she’s always been very nice to me.”

“[But] I remember telling her I was going to do an ’80s dance record and she rolled her eyes, because I think when you’ve lived through it like she did, she’s like, ‘Whatever.’”

“A lot of my influence came from her early work, like directly, like a Xerox.”
and Courtney Love is a also a huge Madonna fan, she still wants to be her friend ^_^ btw, Kurt Cobain also adored Madonna and Michael Jackson :blush:

Cindy Lauper is a thousand times more talented than her and her career flunked. She probably wasn't haging out with the "right crowd". :rolleyes:

hey! you need more than certain talent to be like Madonna, as I told you before, watch and learn! ^_^

well yes debbie probaly is the bigger has been but as for madonna ok yes she may be recording a new album but the whole world ain't gonna care like they used to:wink:

wrong! Madonna broke the record for highest-grossing tour per concert for her "Confessions" tour, which was seen by 1.2 million fans and grossed more than $200 million. The U.S. recording artist, who lives in England, also earned the record for most No.1 albums by a female artist, thanks to her blockbuster ninth disc, "Confessions on a [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]Dance floor"

http://www.themoneytimes.com/news/20070929/guinness_recognizes_madonna_girls_aloud-id-1010364.html

:wink:

and Debbie? :lol:

hey! you need more than certain talent to be like Madonna

Yeah, a big vagina, thats what Madonna used to get ahead. She couldn't do it on her own, so she used sex and breaking taboos to compensate.

:lol: Oh Joseph26, you're a funny little one. You know Heart of Glass isn't the only song that Blondie ever recorded, right? Geez, you sound like a broken record. :wacko:

And being "influenced" by Madonna (or, in Gwen Stefani's case, xeroxing her) doesn't take away from the fact that those singers all have been influenced by Debbie Harry as well. Or you really think that Courtney Love had Madonna in mind when she started her band? :huh:

And as you seem keen on external info, here's some to you:

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0900entertainment/0050artsnews/tm_headline=deborah-harry%26method=full%26objectid=19787394%26siteid=50082-name_page.html

(Note how the author specifically points out the influence that Debbie had on Madonna. Too bad it's a small article.)

http://previews4.wireimage.com/PreviewImgPopup400.asp?h=&w=&ItemI=7873872

(Shirley Manson on Debbie Harry's influence on her career.)

http://www2.drury.edu/ametz/blondinf.htm
http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/viewarticle.aspx?id=521137
http://www.blondie.net/pressrelease_rock_and_roll_hof_induction.shtml
http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,,2168273,00.html
http://wc07.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll
http://wc07.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:0ifrxqe5ld0e

:wink:

Excerpts from one of the websites I linked before (http://www2.drury.edu/ametz/blondinf.htm)

"In part due to punk's do-it-yourself philosophy, women in the '70s began to express their sexual identities and preferences without outside interference. Long before Madonna or Courtney Love, New Wave trash-glam diva Debbie Harry was pushing the irony button on the myth of the dumb blonde. With her torn fish-nets and black eye makeup juxtaposed against her classically beautiful features, the singer of Blondie warped familiar images with humor and subtlety. 'I wanted to express situations where at one time the person had been a victim,' Harry says, 'and put them in the third person so that they are removed from that situation.'"--On Deborah Harry as a precedent setter for other women rockers (Gaines, 94)

"'In a way, yeah. It was an idea whose time had come. I always felt that if it weren't me, it would be someone else. It was a tough world. A lot of times my ideas and insights about what we should do would only be heard if they came out of Chris's mouth.'"--Deborah Harry in response to a question on her musical influence, "Did you have anything to do with the current surfeit of woman-fronted bands such as Hole and No Doubt?" ("Blondie Ambition," 30)

"In the pre-Madonna era, a sexy, videogenic woman [like Harry] who demanded artistic respect was something of an anomaly."--On Deborah Harry, who helped pave the way for Madonna in the sense that by the time Madonna came along, this notion was more acceptable. (Gardner, 1998, 3)

The "role model to a generation of female recording artists from Madonna to Courtney Love, spawning bleach-happy members of the school of desperate imitation along the way." --On Deborah Harry ("Why Are They Famous...," 3)

"Between 1978 and 1982, Blondie made its mark with a series of hits that blurred the lines of pop, punk, reggae, rap and disco--including No. 1 singles 'Heart of Glass' and 'Call Me.' Years before Madonna and Courtney Love, Blondie lead singer Debbie Harry...was a pioneering frontwoman of rock." (Conniff, 3E)

Deborah Harry "preceded the bottle-blonde likes of Madonna and Courtney Love into the pop-icon realm," thereby setting the stage for them. (Helligar and Stapinski, 125)

"If nothing else, it will prove the debt owed Debbie Harry by every female singer of consequence except Celine Dion" --On Blondie's reunion as a "good thing" (Sullivan, Caroline, 12 February 1999, 12)

Blondie has "been influencing feisty female-fronted pop acts for two decades."--On Blondie's musical influence despite its absence from the music scene until the reunion (Myers, 23)

Deborah Harry has "influenced everyone from Madonna to Shirley Manson of Garbage to Courtney Love to No Doubt's Gwen Stefani." (Vivinetto, 19 February 1999, 16)

:smile:lol: Almost exactly what I said before.)

Blondie is a "seminal band" and Deborah Harry is the "first real woman rock star" and a "diva for our times," who has "influenced performers from Annie Lennox to Liz Phair and, oh yeah, Madonna--bringing an ironic, witty glamour to punk rock." (O'Brien, Glen, 1999, Out, 79)

Deborah "Harry is one of the original powerpop queens who helped pave the way for the likes of Madonna, Courtney Love and No Doubt's Gwen Stefani...." (Johnston, Katie, "Life" section, p. 6)

"...the fabled new-wave rock band from New York was synonymous with Harry, whose smart, sexy image and sly, knowing vocal style influenced everyone from Madonna and Courtney Love to No Doubt's Gwen Stefani and Luscious Jackson's Kate Schellenbach."--On Blondie and Deborah Harry's musical influence (Varga, 27 May 1999, "Night and Day" section, p. 9)

Deborah Harry, "a pop rock Eva Peron,..." is "...the Mother of all Rock Blondes--with Madonna, Courtney Love and Gwen Stefani among her many surrogate daughters." (Tarlach, 16 August 1999, 6)

"...Harry's image, if not her music, would influence a whole new generation of musical chanteuses, one of whom goes by the name of Madonna." (Holdship, "Music" section)

Clem Burke observed that the band's "'music has endured.' Don't believe him? Look around. You can see Blondie's influence on groups like No Doubt and Hole." (Buttars, D3)

And I could go on and on and on... :innocent:

http://www.mathies.com/weblog/index.php?s=debbie

:rofl: :lol:

ETA:
last but not least:
http://www.amazon.com/Deborah-Harry-Cathay-Che/dp/0880642181

The brief commentary by those influenced by her include Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo, Fred Schneider of the B-52's, whose new track "Debbie" on their Future Generation greatest hits is a nod to Ms. harry, Michael Stipe of REM, and Theo Kogan of the Lunachicks is quite rewarding to read. And Che also mentions Madonna, whose fiery independent, self-assured image was surely taken from Deborah Harry.

Attachments

• Mae_West_320x240.jpg
    Mae_West_320x240.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 130-011~Jean-Harlow-Posters.jpg
    130-011~Jean-Harlow-Posters.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 0
  • marilyn-kornman-m.jpg
    marilyn-kornman-m.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 168602~Jayne-Mansfield-Posters.jpg
    168602~Jayne-Mansfield-Posters.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 0
Yeah, a big vagina, thats what Madonna used to get ahead. She couldn't do it on her own, so she used sex and breaking taboos to compensate.

Ha! I have to agree. You need only to compare their singing voices to know where the true talent lies.

OMG :shock:, hollywood is full of vaginas, small, medium, and big ones, hot women 10000000% more beautiful than Madonna and guess what? you need more than a big vagina to be like her.

Besides a vagina Madonna has a brain, the poor Debbie neither the big one nor the brain, that's why she is where has to be, doing songs for Desperately seeking susan, "the musical" :lol::lol:

:lol: Oh Joseph26, you're a funny little one. You know Heart of Glass isn't the only song that Blondie ever recorded, right? Geez, you sound like a broken record. :wacko:

1 - one more time, Is Heart of Glass a Rock song? B)

2 - do you really think that I'm going to read all of that? hey, I have a life :lol: you have wasted your time, sorry.

I can't believe I'm here comparing Madonna with Debbie, I mean, Madonna!!! with all her masterpiece music videos and her legendary shows, with all her chameleonic looks, her #1's, her awards, her iconic influence in the mainstream culture .................... and there's nothing of Debbie to compare. c'mon I'm wasting my time in this thread, where's a Mariah Carey fan? I need a fan of a real star to compete with Madonna!

I only want to see a picture of Debbie where I can see the rip-off of Madonna but there's no picture, there's no rip-off. the poor Debbie only had one look in her entire career and it has nothing to do with Madonna.

celebrityimagedeborahhaze6.jpg

images.easyart.com

^So you're not only repetitive but you also have no solid arguments at all and still you want to keep on pretending you know something about the history of music and of rock and roll. I've collected enough proof to substantiate my arguments. You chose not to read them (probably because they'd clash with your very poor notion that lady Madonna is actually an original "artist"). I rest my case. -_-

You know what they say, ignorance is bliss. You seem to live by those words.

Before you all get your knickers in a twist..I don't think "accusing" is the right word. You know, if you ever watch Debbie in an interview she's really really chill. I doubt she was being all that serious, most likely making an observation, not an accusation.

Personally I never realized it--I'm not a Blondie or Debbie Harry and from what I remember she didn't over accessorize like Madonna did early in her career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->