Defying the trends

Ryan Riverz

Reaction score
Of course it's always cool to feel like your "on top" of things by having the latest trends, but always following them does not set you apart as an individual. The question is, what have you done fashion-wise that was in direct defiance of the current trend at that time, and what reaction did you get from your friends or the public?

I have worn things that were probably considered antagonistic and gotten some pretty weird looks, but that is the whole point of expressing your own personality and style, even if it spits in the face of the current standard.

Also I'm aware that there is already a topic called "how much of your wardrobe is based on trends?" or something like that, but this thread is based on a different line of thinking and deserves to stand alone.

hmmm
I remember wearing tailored men's shirts and tights and flat boots when everyone else was doing the whole Sienna Miller hippie thing.I had short hair and dressed like Jean Seberg.Still do! I think I got attention for that...in fact one man fondled my neck on the bus.Too bad he was drunk and not interested in my fashion sense!

head-to-toe black, trousers and long-sleeved collared shirt in devore velvet, buttoned all the way up ..... maybe not all that weird, except it was a very sunny and hot day in the big city. you could imagine everyone in white tank tops and distressed short shorts. also wore it in a smaller town later that day, university area

only got looks on the way back to the hotel, after the sun had set. one group in particular, very tall and one obviously impulsive guy, started giggling but as i turned around to see who it was, he made a sound and all three of them went off the sidewalk and into the grass.. made me a little sad, silly little defenseless ol' me. i couldn't have really scared them.

the great thing was that i was comfortable because the shirt was deceptively sheer and it let the air pass through really well. it was like i was wearing nothing

I violently protested that whole feminine/boho thing from 4-5 years back (as per tullepen above as well i guess, haha). And I"m sure when my current/natural gothy-rocker thing goes out of trend I'm still going to be in black and studs and therefore hopelessly untrendy... ha.

naturally i think there's always a lot of 'trends' that one personally despises... things i've never been able to or wanted to pull off would be...
-- flat boots
-- leather pants
-- fur coats/jackets/etc
-- anything floral, ever
-- babydoll dresses

It's always funny too if you wear a shirt with text on it, when someone passes by instead of looking at you their eyes are scanning your shirt..haha.

That always happens when I wear my "Too many freaks, not enough circuses" tee. :P

I used to have a favorite shirt that said,If found please return to the nearest beach.
I LOVE the beach,so relaxing. And now I am SO sick of seeing people wearing skinny black jeans with converse and black nail polish.I have these beautiful beige jeans that are very 90s so I wear them a lot.

^^ haha... but what if we've been wearing skinny black jeans and black nail polish since the 90s?!?!?!

I was quite into fashion in high school, but I come from a town with a major lag in terms of adopting trends. So ironically, it was when I sported the latest trends that I appeared to be "antagonistic" and got weird looks.

I may dress a little too trendy to some more fashion savvy people on the internet, but I just wear what I want, it's only clothes.

In terms of Australian style, I'm not trendy at all. Most of the time people think I'm homeless, and bouncers never let me into bars.

I used to wear brown velvet pants in my high school days. They shine like you wouldn't believe on a sunny day.

Oh and my siblings used to make fun of me when I wore my 'tight' pants. heh. And now look who's wearing skinny jeans. I must have been born in skinny jeans.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never wear blue denim jeans. Ever (wouldn't mind a darker, navy/indigo wash, but most jeans just don't suit me), and everyone loves them where I am.
I also don't/can't ever bring myself to wear peasant skirts, when everyone and their aunt was in love with that boho look I was trotting around in men's buttondown shirts and pencil skirts. My personal style has been on the geeky and simulateneously grungy side for years so I'll probably stay wildly 'out' when people finally stop wearing checked shirts and Doc Martens (but you'll have to pry those and my Converse off my cold, dead feet).
Another trend I'm quite happy to miss out on is the one for extreme high heels. I generally prefer about 90% of my outfits with flats/boots/converse anyway.

I love finding unique pieces at Salvation Army and vintage shops.When I had long hair (mine is like my avatar pic) I'd dress totally like Abbey Lee-long flowing skirts,soft hues of color,high heeled boots.I always got looks for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->