Personal style: Rejecting trends..

I've realised that you just need to try to do your own thing regardless and not think about it too much. Although I must say I do tend to avoid buying an item when it it is at the peak of 'trendiness'.. but trends come and go at such a speed it's almost impossible to be comepltely oblivious to them as well as completely catch up with all of them. I do think that a distinct personal style is the most important thing of all..

I find that I've always had a certain asthetic that's been with me forever, and no matter how much I may like a trend, I will always go back to that original style that I've been comfortable with. I tried heels for some time, but they're not my taste at all, as I'm really not into bitchin' shoes. I never went near the skinny jeans even when I wanted to because I knew I'd cringe at myself soon after.

Trends should add to/ bring new ideas to personal style, not dictate it.

Softgrey you took the words right out of my mouth!

softgrey said:
i think that from a practical point of view this is what you can do....
think about it...don't act on impulse!!!...
if your heart is beating so loudly that you can't hear yourself think...
then you must leave the store to clear your head!!!...
:wink:

don't rush to buy things at the beginning of each season...
this is when the marketing machine is churning at it's strongest...
all the press and hype around certain 'looks' and 'trends' is what keeps magazines and stores in business...
*this is why we call people fashion victims...
because they fall victim to the 'machine'...
fashion victims are people who don't think for themselves...
they just follow blindly along with whatever they see everyone else doing...
whether it looks good or not...:lol:...

wait a month or so...
it probably won't be the right weather to wear the new trends right away anyway...
see if you are still really loving that military jacket or embroidered skirt...

think of how you will wear it with what you already have in your closet...
if you can come up with at least 3 different outfits...
then i say go for it....

*and who knows...
by then it may be on sale...^_^...

good luck...
:flower:

I can't give you Karma again so soon, but thats just what I think about it.

I usually just have to go home before I buy something, and let the emotion pass.

Think with my mind and really consider
1. Would I like this if it weren't a trend?
2. Do I have stuff i could wear it with
3. will i feel comfortable/ myself when i'm wearing it?

for instance, in the store, i really liked some platform heels. i thought they were really hot.

but when i got home and thought about it, I decided that they seemed to "sexy" and too costumey to fit my lifestyle

on the other hand, a leapord print skirt, I decided to get, because I have lots of solid color tops, shoes and bags that can pick up it's colors and tone it down a bit

all the press and hype around certain 'looks' and 'trends' is what keeps magazines and stores in business...

hehe , i really liked that :smile:

softgrey said:

This reminds my of my marketing teacher who kept telling a classmate of mine that she's a marketer's dream :P I let trends inspire me and open up my mind to new ideas and possibilities, but I don't let them dictate what I wear. I never pay high prices for trendy items and I prefer to browse through vintage stores to find similar items if I feel that they are right for me.

Easy peasy. Dont get influenced by fashion and magazine get influenced by the world. Art, cinema, nature, culture. That is how it should be. Just like a filmaker shouldnt be solely influenced by the auteurs that went before him. Otherwise his films will be about filmaking only and not the emotion and the life that goes into it.

Which is why I think it is sad that art education these days doesnt require broader knowledge. The Renaissance men would have been apothecaries, astrologers, mathmeticians, rhetoriticians etc alongside being painters. And their art was so much more astute because of it. Kids here do an A-level in art and go off to art school without knowing about literature or maths or whatever.

That said I do think certain basics need to be updated around a wardrobe otherwise your look, whatever it may be, will be dated. Hopefully most of you will have longer t-shirts, skinnier jeans, longer trousers etc than you did in the 90s. It keeps things fresh.

Last edited by a moderator:
loubylou said:
as an 18 year old i have endured somewhat of a 'fashion desert' as someone else put it throughout my teenage years, as unlike any other recent decade, the 'noughties' has failed to produce any real vivid images, only a series of disjointed and juxtaposing trends.

Very intersting point. Of course only hindsight will tell us if indeed there is no overiding theme to this decade because the 90s seemed as messy living through it but certain looks emerged as unquestionably 90s. I don't however think it is necessarily a bad thing that there is nothing to conform to - people can wear what they want nowadays. You can dress like Dita Von Teese, or like the members of Incubus, like Clara Bow, or like the kids of Misshapes NY but providing you have the right aesthetic spin, you can make it work. It seems a far cry from the days where kids had to choose between the Mods and the rockers or further back when they had to have the smallest corseted waist in London.

So funny, shutterbug!:lol: I have never heard that line before, but I definitely won't be forgetting it!

shutterbug said:
This reminds my of my marketing teacher who kept telling a classmate of mine that she's a marketer's dream :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionhill
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->