Discussion: The Givenchy Dilemma

Let’s please stop romanticising Tisci, he is completely different designer now than when he was leaving Givenchy.

IMHO there’s not much of Givenchy dilemma, they ended up low with Williams so the only one thing would be to appoint any designer with strong pov which would take this poor black dress and turned it into something relevant and sellable. That’s the bottom line they need to get to be able to even think about proper revival. I’d stay away from HC, focused on strong accessories and decent rtw. That being said I no longer believe Burton would be the best fit but then who else could. I’d give Givenchy to KVA and keep it medium size for now.

I think Tisci has been pretty consistent throughout his entire career. His Burberry was more or less a continuation of his Givenchy, just with an emphasis on beige, checks, and trenchcoats.

With him, you know for certain what you would get, and given the market I don't think that's a bad strategy.

Hiring someone like KVA, who I never thought was particularly strong, failed at Berlutti, and who has no experience with womenswear, would be a mistake.

Hiring someone like KVA, who I never thought was particularly strong, failed at Berlutti, and who has no experience with womenswear, would be a mistake.
I’d disagree, KVA is a strong designer and his Berlutti failed not because of his design or sales but because of lack of business acumen of Antoine Arnault. He, on contrary to his sister, has no idea how to run a successful brand and how to make conscious choices and achieve goals. KVA was a victim of AA stupidity at finest. Haider too as we know…

I think Tisci has been pretty consistent throughout his entire career. His Burberry was more or less a continuation of his Givenchy, just with an emphasis on beige, checks, and trenchcoats.
The fact that Tisci implemented his aesthetics without growing up to Burnett was a failure. How come you can offer to conservative British audience mermaids and elbow holes ? What does his mythical aesthetics has to do with Britain and its history etc. ? His aesthetics hasn’t evolved since Givenchy and he though he can just copy and paste it whenever he goes which proved how limited he is nowadays.

What does his mythical aesthetics has to do with Britain and its history etc. ?

after his success, i think tisci was a designer that you hire because of his aesthetic not because you want someone to fit your brand. Now that he has been out for a few seasons, he will have to find a new aesthetic, which hopefully isnt peace dressess/costumes.

I’d disagree, KVA is a strong designer and his Berlutti failed not because of his design or sales but because of lack of business acumen of Antoine Arnault. He, on contrary to his sister, has no idea how to run a successful brand and how to make conscious choices and achieve goals. KVA was a victim of AA stupidity at finest. Haider too as we know…

The fact that Tisci implemented his aesthetics without growing up to Burnett was a failure. How come you can offer to conservative British audience mermaids and elbow holes ? What does his mythical aesthetics has to do with Britain and its history etc. ? His aesthetics hasn’t evolved since Givenchy and he though he can just copy and paste it whenever he goes which proved how limited he is nowadays.
By your own words, he was consistent.

What's KVA up to now? I believe he's doing children's clothes for China.

^ posting his pics with flowers on ig and recently he published album of his works (eponymous brand, Dior and Berlutti).

Tisci was at the right place at the right time - I don’t think his approach will work again. Givenchy was the main luxury house doing streetwear convincingly at that time. This is no longer unique and the market is saturated with luxury hoodies/t shirts.

I’d prolly just close the house tbh. Mayyybbe do more collab with Tiffany and focus on high jewelry.

although tisci had good streetwear, his success was mostly because of his gothich/romantic collections not streetwear only
i think for menswear it was the streetwear he did that resonated allot, womans it was the gothic romantic edgy stuff that was the backdrop for the hit bags and shoes /acc /merch rtw

Some of my favourites from the Givenchy archive (all pics taken from Pinterest )

View attachment 1287476View attachment 1287477View attachment 1287478View attachment 1287479View attachment 1287480View attachment 1287481View attachment 1287482View attachment 1287483
Of course the new CD probably will make Audrey Hepburn cosplay and logo merchandise...fashion industry these days, you know...
Thank you for posting this.

The insistence that Givenchy is nothing more than Audrey Hepburn and a little black dress is lazy and simply not true.

Had to post this, I think it´s the most beautiful pic of Audrey wearing Givenchy (pic from Pinterest )

514d72eb14e94f081815a706915c997e.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bunny1212
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->