Dolce & Gabbana angry at advertising campaign controversy in Spain

spottie

Reaction score
http://www.eitb24.com/new/en/B24_36294/life/MILAN-BASED-FASHION-HOUSE-Dolce-Gabbana-angry-at/

Dolce & Gabbana angry at advertising campaign controversy in Spain

02/23/2007
Dolce & Gabbana plans to pull the advertisement, which shows a man holding a woman to the ground by her wrists while a group of men look on, following complaints from consumers' groups.

Dolce-Gabbana-2007022008111517xm1.jpg

Italian fashion house Dolce & Gabbana has branded Spain as being 'behind the times' for demanding it withdraw a controversial advertising campaign, a newspaper reported on Friday.
Dolce & Gabbana plans to pull the advertisement, which shows a man holding a woman to the ground by her wrists while a group of men look on, following complaints from consumers' groups. "We will only withdraw this photo from the Spanish market. They're a bit behind the times," La Vanguardia newspaper quoted the Milan-based fashion house as saying.
Dolce & Gabbana, known for their risque clothes and adverts, declined to comment on the matter.
Spain's Labour and Social Affairs Ministry branded the campaign as illegal and humiliating to women, saying the woman's body position had no relation to the products Dolce & Gabbana were trying to sell.
"One could infer from the advertisement that it is acceptable to use force as a way of imposing oneself on a woman, reinforced by the passive and complicit manner of the men looking on," the ministry said in a statement.
Dolce & Gabbana defended the campaign as art in comments reported by La Vanguardia. "What has an artistic photo got to do with a real act?" the paper quoted the firm as saying. "You would have to burn museums like the Louvre or the paintings of Caravaggio."
The fracas follows criticism from Britain's advertising watchdog last month about another Dolce & Gabbana campaign showing models brandishing knives.
The British Advertising Standards Authority upheld more than 150 complaints from people concerned that the pictures glorified and condoned violent crime. In that case, the company said the ads were heavily stylised and mimicked early 19th century art.

Hmm, I actually kind of have to side with Spain on this. I personally don't find the photo offensive because I actually understand it's just a photo insinuating rough sex, but I can see why people might be offended by it.

I am definetily offended by it. Another reason for not to like Dolce & Gabbana.

Oy vey. Censorship is the devil! It obviously wasn't so offensive that they had to pull the image worldwide, so why Spain had to be the holdout is beyond me. I personally like the image and am not offended by it.

I wish I was that girl in the ad!

Get in. Thats a HOTT ad and its not as if the model looks unpleased by a gorgeous man "having his way with her" (notice how she is thrusting her pelvis at him)

I dont even necisserily like D&G's clothes but I would plaster my walls with that ad!

On a side note: Spain Being so pressed with this photo is only aiding D&G in its endevors*

Last edited by a moderator:
D'Felipe said:
its not as if the model looks unpleased by a gorgeous man "having his way with her"

I agree- it doens't look like r*pe to me, but merely agressive, but consentual sex, and sex in advertising is nothing new

I think censoring this image is stupid-

the placement of the other men is what makes this ad offensive... agree with the spaniards as well

is there anything in the world that doesn't offend people:huh:

I'll side with Spain, not because I am offended by the ad, but because Dolce & Gabbana needs to stop using their shock tactics to get attention.
They are selling clothes, not condoms, why must all their ads ALWAYS be sexual? Probably because their clothes suck and it's the only way to lure potential buyers.

Sweet rus said:
is there anything in the world that doesn't offend people:huh:

Maybe something like Elmo.
It does not offend me, but it would have been much sexier if the other guys were not there in my opinion. ^_^

I knew this was going to happen. I don't find it offenseful but I might be biased due to the fact that I wouldn't mind being in Shannan's situation with 5 other hot guys around me...:innocent:.

arlekindearrabal said:
the placement of the other men is what makes this ad offensive... agree with the spaniards as well

Yeah, it certainly makes me a bit uncomfortable too.

Ads in general are getting risque... I no longer take fashion mags to school for fear that someone will look over and see a Sisely or Dolce and Gabbana ad or something!

Salvatore said:
It does not offend me, but it would have been much sexier if the other guys were not there in my opinion. ^_^

Please. Even cartoon characters aren't safe. I'm sure there's some group out there that wants to ban Elmo because they think he's homosexual. :rolleyes: :innocent:

Maybe if the other guys were touching each other, it would've been less offensive? ^_^

[sarcasm noted]

Salvatore said:
haha:lol:
Agree, it would be much sexier, the situation looks sort of strange, there was no need to put so many men in one ad

Tourni said:
I'll side with Spain, not because I am offended by the ad, but because Dolce & Gabbana needs to stop using their shock tactics to get attention.
They are selling clothes, not condoms, why must all their ads ALWAYS be sexual? Probably because their clothes suck and it's the only way to lure potential buyers.
So really, you don't agree with Spain banning the ad, you just don't like Dolce and Gabbana and you're glad their banning it.

peacelover142002 said:
Please. Even cartoon characters aren't safe. I'm sure there's some group out there that wants to ban Elmo because they think he's homosexual. :rolleyes: :innocent:

So true. :rolleyes:

they shouldn't have to ban the ads. Dolce & Gabbana ads are almost a parody of themselves anyway. I have a hard time seeing this as genuinely offensive.

is this look even new i swear ive seeen something like this before from them or someone else

im not siding with spain, but id hardly call that country "behind the times" when it comes to morality

have dolce&gabbana ever seen America outside new york and probably LA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adspttsa
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->