Dolce & Gabbana angry at advertising campaign controversy in Spain

Spike413 said:
So really, you don't agree with Spain banning the ad, you just don't like Dolce and Gabbana and you're glad their banning it.

I don't like Dolce & Gabbana, and I agree the ads are offensive to many.

Moreso, I find it funny how Dolce & Gabbana believe sexual assault and male supremacy is the way of the future. Shame on Spain for being so "behind the times!" :rolleyes:

I think that assuming that the female model is being assaulted only enforces the stereotype that women are helpless victims with no say in their sexual destiny. If a man was being held down with women watching would it be so offensive? I'm guessing not.

xmodel citizen said:
I think that assuming that the female model is being assaulted only enforces the stereotype that women are helpless victims with no say in their sexual destiny. If a man was being held down with women watching would it be so offensive? I'm guessing not.

I was offended by the D&G ads that did show assault of a man. I also do not like this current ad either.

Call me "behind the times," but I don't find assaut to be sexy.

Of course, I'm one of those "narrow-minded" Americans outside the "progressive" areas of NYC and LA, so what do I know?

bwgreyscale.com

Attachments

• dg.jpg
    dg.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited by a moderator:
It has nothing to do with where you're from. Despite what people may think, where I come from is actually pretty conservative. It's all about your outlook. I see nothing forced in those pictures. Some people actually like being treated like that.

I think the ad's hot. I can see why people would think 'OH NO r*pe!!!!!!', but I think they're just trying to load the sex factor.

i dont like the ad.

i think spain has a right to complain as they have laws that govern advertising.

the mayor of my city asked french connection to pull huge ads posted around the city that showed two women fighting saying that it promoted negative images of women and violence. i'm not sure if they were pulled or not.

It sounds like multiple countries have vendetta's against tacky clothing. First the UK, now Spain.

I don't think the ad is too offensive maybe risky but it doesn't offend me anyways. The thing that gets too me is that it isn't even about the clothing to them. It seems they are obsessed with the whole shock factor involved in it. I never really liked Dolce&Gabbana anyways, so it doesn't make much of a difference to me.

To me the ads are typical D&G and what they lack in creativity they make up in formulaic provocation.

Like most of their ads, the figures are seperated by a couple of feet and show no physical connection with each other. Such a placement focuses on the product rather than an expression or reality of life and design.

The placement of a man and woman in the center in a provocative pose does not work well with such a composition and leaves the viewer disturbed.

I don't like the ad and I do think it, however common in the sex ad world, objectifies women. I also don't think Spain should ban it. They would have to be consistant with their "ruling" and thus ban every ad that objectifies women (or men or children or animals).. which is just not likely

The ad is definitely offensive - it is meant to be. So is the opposite one shown a few posts up. We all know it is just a fashion ad - but let's get real now we're over our not being offended session. What clothing is this selling exactly? Nothing, but an image. Are you happy with this image?

Salvatore said:
Maybe something like Elmo.
It does not offend me, but it would have been much sexier if the other guys were not there in my opinion. ^_^

:lol: i agree ... or if the woman wasn't there :ninja: :innocent: :lol: but that would cause another sort of controversy i guess. i can see why it can be offensive though. they have variations of ads for each season anyway so i guess they can choose something that's not as offensive.

peacelover142002 said:
Please. Even cartoon characters aren't safe. I'm sure there's some group out there that wants to ban Elmo because they think he's homosexual. :rolleyes: :innocent:
lol I always thought of Elmo as not being fully developed or slow....LOL! :lol::lol:

jollyvixen said:
Of course, I'm one of those "narrow-minded" Americans outside the "progressive" areas of NYC and LA, so what do I know?

bwgreyscale.com

I apologize for lumping everyone outside those two cities into one category, I was mainly critizing D&G for making that statement when in fact, things like gay marriage are legal in spain, while it's still an issue with conservatives in America, which would make us AS A COUNTRY (CA and NY included ^_^) more behind the times in certain aspects of morality than Spain. And let's not forget the janet jackson incident a couple years ago. It was just a stupid response from D&G's pr, or whomever made the statement, and just because there hasn't been an outcry here in America, OR other countries, doesn't mean we, or THEY, are any much further ahead OR behind the times than ANY other country.

im a little bit on the fence... i agree the image is a little shocking, not because of the two figures in the middle and their positions, but rather the facial expressions of the men peering on and the dark moody colors.... which make it, as said earlier, subcousciously "disturbing". dont think it constitutes banishment, however...its just a strange ad (and i think they could have done better)

as for the comment on cartoon characters, sesame street supposedly has that character in south africa with AIDS that was a huge controversy, parents have always had it in for the smurfs, dont get me started on the controversies surrounding disney, and lastly, on word: teletubbies.
nobody is safe!

The advert is unoriginal, we've seen that hundreds of times. I would ban it for their lack of creativity, it has no meaning and if at least it screamed sex in another way it would be O.K.
It the conventional formula to create a fuss and get people staring at it, but there is no artistic purpose to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adspttsa
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->