Dries Van Noten Talks

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
Dries Van Noten talks to Cathy Horyn of the NewYorkTimes

extracts from the three page Style Magazine article
29wvan.1.583.jpg

photo by :heart: Paolo Roversi

Van Noten, who is 46, says he underwent a radical shift in his own thinking about four years ago. After leading one of the biggest revolts in fashion history, as a member of the so-called Antwerp Six, Van Noten felt he was being frog-marched by magazine editors and stylists, who used their power to promote a claque of names and looks. ''There was a period when it was quite difficult to survive as a designer,'' Van Noten tells me. ''The worry was, 'I must be fashionable.''' The truth is that for all the talk about globalism, the fashion world has shrunk to the size of a walnut, and the walnut is named LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton (or Gucci Group; take your pick). The big luxury companies may create buzz for the rest of the industry, but ultimately they're looking for a consensus.

Rather than play along, Van Noten decided to pass. ''Now my biggest concern is what I make -- do I like it, and are people going to want to have it,'' he says. ''I don't really worry if it's good for the young girl or the older woman. I just try to make something really beautiful.'' He adds: ''Are all the hip stylists going to like it, yes or no? I don't care anymore.''

Van Noten, who worked at his father's haberdashery as a teenager -- his dad now runs the Association of Open Gardens of Flanders -- isn't nostalgic for the years when he and Martin Margiela and the rest of the Antwerp Six were so hard up that they had to travel to a Florence fashion fair in a pair of campers. But he sometimes misses the creativity that such limitations afford. He recalls a teacher he had at the Royal Academy, a Madame Prigot. ''She thought knees were the ugliest part of the body, that women with long hair were sluts and that Coco Chanel was a genius,'' he says. ''We had to be very creative to work within her restrictions.'' Which may be why Van Noten isn't itching to do a perfume or something equally grown up. This month he will open a store in Hong Kong with the retailers Joyce and Adrienne Ma -- his elegant flagship remains in Antwerp -- and in November he will release a limited-edition book to mark his 50th collection. But beyond that, he has no plans. ''The business is large enough so that we can live very well from it, and still a size that we can control and have fun with,'' he says.

link to the NYT Style article

Wow!
EXCELLENT article! It condensed a lot of Van Noten's bio/life in quite a small amount of space (believe me, that's tricky) and I loved every piece of juicy details!

PS. He looks young for his age! (Yeah, his yummy AND smart!)

PPS. What's a haberdashery?

PPS. Tks, Le! :flower:

[attachmentid=25083]you are welcome ultra

haberdashery: ribbons, trims, tassels, fashion accessories

from Dries fw04.05 catwalk

fw03.04

(tFS exculsive pictures from the show :innocent: :blush: )

Originally posted by Lena@Aug 31 2004, 05:34 AM
fw03.04

(tFS exculsive pictures from the show :innocent: :blush: )
[snapback]351085[/snapback]​

I'm SO gonna look for a greek profile sitting first row on the upcoming Paris Fashion week.

PS. These pics are from the dreamy show that had 1000's of lights, isnt it?
*swoons*

yes, that was the million lights show ultra... :blush:

i wont be in the shows this season.. too busy launching the new line,
no time for serious fashion journalism at the moment.

It's so rare to hear an interview with Dries. :heart: He sounds sensible and smart.

Thank you again for posting!

I really like his outfit in the picture.

Ironic question -- do you think a stylist picked it?

Originally posted by seraphelle@Aug 31 2004, 01:53 PM
I really like his outfit in the picture.

Ironic question -- do you think a stylist picked it?
[snapback]351208[/snapback]​

he's not the kind of guy that would be told what to wear,
so i think he picked his own clothes probably from his own line

you are most welcome, glad you liked the interview

ps; one of the most proud days of my life:
when my coat was worn over a Dries dress for the christmas window in the Parisian boutique we were both selling our collections, i so adore him :blush:

what a fascinating little article. thank you for posting it and the pictures, lena :heart: ^_^

''The business is large enough so that we can live very well from it, and still a size that we can control and have fun with,'' he says.

What a fine, straightfoward comment!

Originally posted by metal-on-metal@Aug 31 2004, 07:06 AM
It's so rare to hear an interview with Dries. :heart: He sounds sensible and smart.

Thank you again for posting!
[snapback]351155[/snapback]​

If you have access to passed issues of Surface, there is an excellent articel with Dries. I have it somewhere, but don't remember the exact issue. That's how I got interested with Surface magazine.

This article is good, but could be so much better if Cathy touched more upon the fashion processes, which seem intricate yet not easily discernable. But I guess Cathy was much more interested in hanging around Dries' house :lol:

He is such a class act :heart: . I applaud him, as well as other Belgians for not spending money on advertising, and therefore not passing additional costs to their customers.

:heart: veyr ncie sweet article, i lvoe his clothes

thank you lena :flower:

excellent article: one question though...does mr. van noten have a mrs. van noten?

i'm just curious :innocent:

Originally posted by mikeijames@Aug 31 2004, 10:40 AM
excellent article: one question though...does mr. van noten have a mrs. van noten?

i'm just curious :innocent:
[snapback]351360[/snapback]​

it said "partner", so I'm assuming that's his lover. :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->