East Asians are Misrepresented in Western Media

Reaction score
I have observed that the media only contains stereotypes of Asian people and not real, average people who are just like everybody else. In North America, few Asians get 'normal' roles where they play an average person (unless, of course, it is an all-Asian cast such as in Memoirs of a Geisha, so I am not counting those films). The women are usually your stereotypical 'dragon lady', either a seductress who poisons/stabs her prey or a secret martial arts expert. Men are either triads/yakuza, or martial arts masters. Both genders can be geeks/workoholics.

I can only think of one western film where I have seen an Asian man play the role of an average person, which is Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle. It isn't even that great of a film, but at least it is a step towards portraying East Asians as normal people. There is one other film called Saving Face, but that was written and directed by an Asian, so it seems natural they portray Asians as average people. There is only one Asian actress I know of who has played several average roles and that is Lucy Liu. However, she is not exactly the same as most Asian actresses because she was born an American and raised in the US. I suppose her being Asian-American allows westerners to view her as more 'normal'. There is another single Asian actress who has played a semi-normal role and that is Sandra Oh in Grey's Anatomy, but she is still a bit of a stereotypical geek/workoholic... once again she was born and raised in Canada, so is pretty North American.

There are great actors and actresses who are incredibly popular in Asia. Some of those have attempted to go to Hollywood, but apparently have only been offered these stereotypical roles. Tony Leung says he would love to do a Hollywood film. There is definitely no problem with his English as he is fluent. I don't know if it is because of being offered stereotypical roles that it has not happened, but I know it must be a great offence if that is indeed the case. It would be similar to a Black actor such as Samuel L. Jackson or Laurence Fishburne only being offered roles to play rappers when clearly they have the talent and skill to go far beyond such a stereotypical, one-dimensional role.

I have even discovered that a recent film (I can't remember what it was called or what it was exactly about) based on a true story replaced the lead character with a White man when, in real life, it was actually an Asian man. He was either leading a team of hackers or a team of thieves, I don't recall. Is it because the media's stereotypes of Asian males are already too ingrained for people to be able to believe an Asian could be such a person?

I haven't included those who are part Asian, part something else because their being half non-Asian seems to get them more normal roles. E.g. Kristin Kreuk, Michaela Conlin, Keanu Reeves, Jennifer Tilly, Rob Schneider...

I also won't include films with an all-Asian cast as (unless it is a martial arts film) it is impossible and ridiculous to portray every single character as a stereotype, so it most likely wouldn't happen.

If anyone knows more western films or TV shows where East Asians are portrayed as normal people I would be more than happy to find out about them!

What is your opinion on East Asians being misrepresented in western media? Do you agree or disagree? Why?

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I really agree with you, and I have felt this way for many years.

I don't know what is wrong with the media- why every race has "regular" roles except asians (and native americans). They never seem to play a person, but an asian person.

I am mixed race (not asian, I'm afraid), and I remember being very pleased in the late 90s (?) When Angela Bassett played Robert DeNiro's girlfriend in The Score. Not his black girlfriend, or her white boyfriend, just his girlfriend. I know it may sound silly, but it was nice to just be a normal role that could of been, and should be open to anyone. (A very good movie by the way). That may of had something to do with DeNiro...it's good either way.

Other movies have done similar things, oddly notable is Will Smith, who often just plays a male charachter, not a black male charachter....I Am Legend, Men in Black, etc.

But, back to mis-reperesentation of asians, Lipstick Jungle and Cashmere Mafia both seemed to do the right thing. While Gossip Girl has the nerd, and the Lolita stereotype (great lesson for the kids).

I am not sure what the problem is for casting directors. Movies like Sixteen Candles and Breakfast at Tiffany's were not that long ago.

It would be nice if a film was done about modern asians in the western world, just as people. Even extras- it's a start.

I haven't included those who are part Asian, part something else because their being half non-Asian seems to get them more normal roles. E.g. Kristin Kreuk, Michaela Conlin, Keanu Reeves, Jennifer Tilly, Rob Schneider...

I have noticed this as well, slightly odd, and possibly a bit sad on the part of casting directors.

You taught me something new today however, I didn't know Rob Schneider was mixed race.

Very interesting discussion.

It annoys me. I live in the UK and I'm caucasian, but I feel sorry for Asian people. People just call them Indians even though they are not Indians. Some people I know don't even know the difference between Japanese and Chinese people.

Which reminds me why one of my favourite Asian actors choose not to take offers from Hollywood. Takeshi Kaneshiro!!!

He said that more often than not all roles offered to him are stereotypical!

And I seriously believed that a lot of Asians are boxed up especially in Hollywood. I hate it and it's no wonder I have stopped watching Hollywood films on a regular basis. Nothing new, nothing interesting, just a rehash of things past done in a very bad way.

Which reminds me why one of my favourite Asian actors choose not to take offers from Hollywood. Takeshi Kaneshiro!!!

I love him...he did do that movie with Mira Sorvino, a loooong time ago.

it's no wonder I have stopped watching Hollywood films on a regular basis. Nothing new, nothing interesting, just a rehash of things past done in a very bad way.

Truer words were never spoken. I am so tired of remakes of remakes, nostaligia movies (speed racer anyone?), tired biopics, and movies based only on books that are insanely famous.

The UK has had a lot of good, orginal films- This is England, Run Fat Boy Run etc.

I agree with what everyone is saying. Its weird and upsetting to see how little representation we have of ourselves. And most of the Asian characters on tv and films are Chinese and Japanese, even though Asia is rife with diverse peoples other than just Chinese and Japanese. I agree, there is something really insidious and dismaying with the absence of substantial characters played by Asians, especially roles meant for Asian-Americans. If tv shows are (very very abstracted) form of reality, what does that mean? Why are we being written out of it? The subtext of that is really disturbing.

The only show that made a big impact on me is All American Girl with Margaret Cho. I know this sounds too corny too be true or something, but when I was a kid I was flipping channels and could not believe there were Asian people on tv. As in, all the main characters/family was Asian. It felt like I was watching some alien tv show from outerspace or something. I think I watched every episode of the show and was devastated when they cancelled it. It's been years since it was on tv, and we've gotten absolutely nowhere since then.:( Actually, recently since I barely sleep I caught a few episodes of MASH, and I was actually shocked to see Asian actors and watched the whole episode. Is that sad or what?

I know this is kind of off topic but besides Tina Chow, Maggie Cheung, maybe Gong Li, Joan Chen (Twin Peaks!), Sandra Oh (Double Happiness!), its really difficult for me to think of any other notable female Asian performers (that are known in the west fairly well) that I truly admire.

EurasianMelange, you are thinking of 21. The team got "whitewashed" in the film:yuk:, even though in real life many of the members of the blackjack team from MIT used their ethnicity specifically to their advantage (they pretended to be high rollers from Asia). I think the worst show that got white washed and I had zero in common with was Friends. No minorities in New York City, and each of the friends was white? Must be a different ny they were talking about.:lol: As for Asian films, Hollywood has this weird thing, that maybe we're too stupid here to understand films and are unable to read subtitles so the settle of remaking and dumbing down films. I think that plays a huge part, this belief that people don't like foreign films. Its very lazy.

I don't know, I don't see too many strong powerful Asian women who speak to me these days, (and Wendi Deng, Julie Chen and Ziyi Zhang's relationships freak me out) so it's difficult for me to think of any role models in a way either. So yes, I think its really bad for children's self esteem, super creepy on the part of Hollywood and networks, and just terrible state of affairs for writers, film makers and actors. I wish there more Asian-Americans playing American characters instead of fobs or immigrants, its so tired. Another thing that I find hugely disturbing is when actors/noted persons who are part Asian don't admit it at all or talk about it. That is some freaky stuff right there; like are we self-hating now too?? I can only think of one person that really embraced and talked about his heritage and that Kirk Hammett from Metallica LOL, he went and took some courses about SE Asia because he is part Filipino and he really sounded like he learned something and appreciated it.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ugh I have so many typos in that but you get the point. also the mixed actors Eurasian Melange posted are really Caucasian looking, and all of them could pass for Caucasian, when in reality not all, (maybe even most), mixed Asian kids look like that. That creeps me out too.

I am surprised that I got this many responses on this topic and that makes me happy, but then I realise it is very depressing that I seriously expected nought responses because of what I posted about... :unsure:

LolaSvelt said:
It annoys me. I live in the UK and I'm caucasian, but I feel sorry for Asian people. People just call them Indians even though they are not Indians. Some people I know don't even know the difference between Japanese and Chinese people.

I'm a Brit myself (but not 100% ethnically) and lived there for around 20 years. I was never called Indian, but I think I know what you mean... in the UK 'Asian' always refers to South Asians (India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Bhutan, etc.) and never East Asians. East Asians are the ignored ethnicity in the United Kingdom, but I suppose it isn't surprising seeing as they only make up 0.8% of the population. South Asians make up 3.6% in comparison.

North America, on the other hand, doesn't have much of an excuse for ignoring East Asians when in the US they make up 4.54% (more East Asians than there are South Asians in the UK) of the population and in Canada they make up 6.3% of the population.

.:sprigged:. said:
The UK has had a lot of good, orginal films- This is England, Run Fat Boy Run etc.

Europe and Asia also have many good and original films (The Devil's Backbone, Das Leben der Anderen, Joint Security Area, Joy Luck Club), though I have noticed specific countries and regions in Asia have common themes, such as Japan doing quite a bit of horror.

EurasianMelange, you are thinking of 21. The team got "whitewashed" in the film:yuk:, even though in real life many of the members of the blackjack team from MIT used their ethnicity specifically to their advantage (they pretended to be high rollers from Asia).

Yes! That's the one!

As for Asian films, Hollywood has this weird thing, that maybe we're too stupid here to understand films and are unable to read subtitles so the settle of remaking and dumbing down films. I think that plays a huge part, this belief that people don't like foreign films. Its very lazy.
That is another thing that bothers me: Americans creating remakes of great Asian films and it becomes just another typical Hollywood film (like the ones others here are also bored with). They lose the touch of the Asian culture, perspective and so on and without those characteristics it simply isn't the same any more. The fact that it was made in Asia, by Asians, for Asians is an enormous part of the film... it's atmosphere, storyline, characters, etc... taking that away is like removing the heart of the film for me.

I'm a Brit myself (but not 100% ethnically) and lived there for around 20 years. I was never called Indian, but I think I know what you mean... in the UK 'Asian' always refers to South Asians (India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Bhutan, etc.) and never East Asians. East Asians are the ignored ethnicity in the United Kingdom, but I suppose it isn't surprising seeing as they only make up 0.8% of the population. South Asians make up 3.6% in comparison.
For some reason, I've always referred to South Asians as just Asians and East Asians as East Asians. I, for don't ignore East Asians. But I do get what you mean, if I asked people randomly on the street what countries are in East Asia, they wouldn't know, but if I mentioned some of the countries that are in East Asia, they would know...

Shocking really.

East Asians are the ignored ethnicity in the United Kingdom, but I suppose it isn't surprising seeing as they only make up 0.8% of the population. South Asians make up 3.6% in comparison.

In Northern Ireland, East Asians are the largest racial group after white people, and the MP for my area is Anna Lo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Lo

I find it mystifying that East Asians have been my schoolfriends and my neighbours for three decades, yet they don't seem to exist on national TV as the ordinary people they are.

I always thought that was a smart marketing tactic to make the series appeal to networks (and viewers) all around the world. Including racial diversity in shows doesn't have to be a social issue, it can also be a wise financial decision.

For some reason, I've always referred to South Asians as just Asians and East Asians as East Asians.

I have always been the other way around.

I, for don't ignore East Asians.
When I mentioned they were 'ignored' I meant by the media in general, not by anyone specifically (especially not you, else you wouldn't have posted at all!).

In Northern Ireland, East Asians are the largest racial group after white people, and the MP for my area is Anna Lo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Lo

I find it mystifying that East Asians have been my schoolfriends and my neighbours for three decades, yet they don't seem to exist on national TV as the ordinary people they are.

Wow... that is even worse and they seriously have no excuse at all to be ignoring East Asians so much if they are the second largest ethnic group!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->