Editorials with Similar Themes

Faith Akiyama

Staff member
Reaction score
Art in fashion photography possesses vast boundaries, yet it also bears many limitations. Over the years, countless fashion photographs have graced the pages of magazines, and in the 21st century, redundant ideas in editorial theme and art direction almost seem inevitable. But in your opinion, who did it better...and why? What makes one film noir-themed editorial more exhilarating than another? How does Steven Meisel capture the environment of a rehab center better than his predecessors? Does Paolo Roversi improve as he continues to use a "snow wonderland" theme? Even with the same, beige backdrop, why is a jumping Caroline Trentini more/less intriguing than a jumping Gemma Ward? Better yet -- why do they keep on jumping?

Some guidelines to keep this thread flowing:

1. Please provide Magazine (Date/Issue), Photographer, Stylist, Hairdresser, Makeup Artist, & Model information if you have it. Additional information makes for better comparisons.

2. Only editorials and magazine covers please!

3. Discussion is much encouraged. Possible questions to ask: What concepts/events may have been the initial inspiration? Is an original source actually attributable? What particular elements of one editorial is better expressed there than in other versions?

In the end, the ultimate questions are no doubt critical to the future of these artistic expressions of fashion: Has "originality" become a word of the past? Or are there still many more creative ideas that have yet to be explored and expressed?

Let the discussion begin...

Last edited by a moderator:
I know there is a thread about different stylists using the same clothes in different editorials and how they compare, but there isn't one about editorials with extremely similar themes (which is I suppose due to the art director's choices). Recently I noticed these 2 eds...they are practically the same! Any others you can think of?

Vogue US December 2007

Vogue Korea April 2007

omg I had an idea for a thread like this :lol: But you beat me to it I see :P

that ed. actually makes me think of Natasha Poly's editorial in Flair Italy June 2006.
I think it's the spraying of the hose. :wink:

Lol I'm sure we're not the only ones who have thought of this! It's too hard not to notice the similarities sometimes. It's funny, fashion is supposed to be so "forward" and unique/creative, and yet we're stuck with so many editorials that look just the same as the last.

Hmm...this thread will probably require a similar organization as the Stylists' version of theSame Look thread. We'll come up with something! :flower:

Hey maybe we should do this in a more organized fashion, similar to the Stylists Version of the Same Look thread. We should include the photographer, stylists, hair + makeup artist, etc. For one, it's always good to credit the people involved in the fashion story. Secondly I know many times a photographer will copy something he or she has done earlier, but give it a slightly different spin in the later version, so it would be a good idea to know when that's happening.

I'd also love to see which version people like better, which they think is more effective, etc. :flower:

ETA: Oh lookie that! A mod thinking the same way as me :shifty: :rofl:

I.D Magazine
Photographer: Kenneth Cappello
Stylist: Francesca Burns
Hair: Ramona Esbach
Makeup: Yuka Washizu
Model: Jessica Stam
Production: DoubleNY

Russian Vogue

Photographer: Kenneth Cappello
Stylist: Francesca Burns
Hair: Dennis Gotsoulos
Makeup: Yuka Washizu
Model: Marcelina Sowa
Production: DoubleNY

I find it strange how they wouldn't just try to reprint the same editorial rather than copy their own work for another magazine:lol::ermm:

Thanks Faith for sprucing this up! :D I hope this turns out as good as I once imagined ^_^

^No prob :flower: I'm sure it will!

^^Great find Rochas! It's unbelievable how he even used the exact same pose for the trampoline shot and the leotard shot. For me, Stam has the edge with the boxing gloves photo (What a don't-mess-with-me look!), but Marcelina is more convincing with the dumbbell :wink:

I know several editorials have used the "blues/jazz singer/Billie Holiday" theme. I've seen Naomi Campbell, Beverly Peele, Chanel Iman and a few others in this kind of theme.

Has "originality" become a word of the past?
I was often wondering lately if I should actually forget about this idea of originality when I look at various piece of work like art or fashion photography...
The obsession of originality is/has been everywhere and I sometimes think this hunt has become useless, for some reasons, and even worse, it might prevent the imagination to run where it has to run whenever it has to run, after, during and before the process of creation.
Great thread Faith, I really like the idea :heart:

In the end, the ultimate questions are no doubt critical to the future of these artistic expressions of fashion: Has "originality" become a word of the past? Or are there still many more creative ideas that have yet to be explored and expressed?

Let the discussion begin...

imo, yes it has become a word of the past...
and i don't think it's that bad...
but it must remain interesting by re-interpreting things...
why people should be ashamed of using "already done" things?! those things are part of history and authority... so don't feel ashame...

From J'ador Dior

POP MAGAZINE WINTER 2007
"Fire walk with me"
Ph by: Phil Poynter
Stylist: Victoria Young
Models: Meghan Collison, Oxana Pautova, Sheila Marquez and Laragh McCann.

from testinofan

VogueIT March1998
Model: Gisele Bundchen, Audrey Marnay, Magie Rizer, Karen Elson, Sunniva Stordhal, Audrey Quock, Malgosia Bela.
Style: Unk
Photographer: Steven Meisel.

2ll4.jpg

stevenmeiselvogueitmarcnj4.jpg

omg the Kenneth Cappello ed... :ninja: I like both eds but it's weitd to copy your own work so litterally.

Vogue U.S. x Vogue Brasil

Vogue Paris X Vogue Brasil

Vogue U.S. X Vogue Brasil

1º Image:
"Bohos in Paradise" - U.S. Vogue - May 2007
Raquel Zimmermann and Doutzen Kroes
Ph.: Inez van Lamsweerde e Vinoodh Matadin
Stylist: I can't find it.. but here's the link of all the ed.
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f52/raquel-zimmermann-10943-146.html

2º Image:
"Instinto Selvagem" - Brazil's Vogue - October 2007
Vanessa Cruz
Ph.: André Schiliró
Stylist: Giovanni M. O. Frasson

3º Image:
"Chic en Seine" - Vogue Paris - September 2007
Raquel Zimmermann
Ph.: Terry Richardson
Stylist: Emmanuelle Alt

4º Image:
"Verão a Vista" - Vogue Brazil - November 2007
Isadora Di Domenico
Ph.: Jacques Dequeker
Stylist: Giovanni M. O. Frasson

5º and 6º Image I'll look and try find it!

Source: www.oficinadeestilo.com.br/blog

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->