Editors Threaten to Skip Milan Shows Next September

I don't understand why the start date of NY fashion week would affect Milan's production?

I also don't get why Milan would disrespectfully try to overlap other cities' fashion weeks. The change of NYC dates does not overlap any other cities so I don't see it to be nearly as rude.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why the start date of NY fashion week would affect Milan's production?

I also don't get why Milan would disrespectfully try to overlap other cities' fashion weeks. The change of NYC dates does not overlap any other cities so I don't see it to be nearly as rude.

They're not overlapping because they're pushing everyone else back and that's what is affecting Milan's production because it will be a week late.

I find it rude because the CFDA didn't take anyone into consideration here except themselves, thinking they can dictate what everyone else will do instead of creating a solution unanimously.

i can work on holiday... double pay after all.. truly ridiculous!

They're not overlapping because they're pushing everyone else back and that's what is affecting Milan's production because it will be a week late.

I find it rude because the CFDA didn't take anyone into consideration here except themselves, thinking they can dictate what everyone else will do instead of creating a solution unanimously.

It seems that there has always been that "Second Thursday" agreement in place regarding the timing of fashion week so this is not some rude surprise move. Adjusting for the holiday is not selfish--it's practical. I'm sure no other country would face this type of criticism if they had a major holiday they had to work around.

To deliberately schedule your fashion week to conflict with that of 2 other cities is more rude IMO.

i can work on holiday... double pay after all.. truly ridiculous!

In the US Labor day is a major holiday. Most businesses are closed and workers get --for many of us--a much needed day off.

Fashion month is about to get a whole lot messier.
A few days ago, it was reported that Milan had put forth Spring 2013 Fashion Week dates that would conflict with London and New York Fashion Week. In response, Condé Nast’s International chairman Jonathan Newhouse had personally written to Mario Boselli, head of the Italian Chamber of Fashion, threatening that none of his Vogue editors (including those of the American, Italian and French editions) would be allowed to attend Milan if the dates were moved. Honestly, we thought that was that: If Condé Nast wants to throw its weight around, it will probably come out victorious. We thought that, at the least, a compromise could be made, since this is after all an industry employing thousands of people and not a case of sibling rivalry. But we were wrong.

Milan has essentially told New York and London Fashion Week to go f**k themselves. According to WWD, the Milan Chamber of Fashion decided today that it would stick with its proposed dates, and that Milan Fashion Week will run from Sept. 19-25 next fall. Since New York is set to run from Sept. 13 to 20, and London from Sept. 21 to 25, Milan Fashion Week will bite into New York’s show dates and completely eclipse poor London’s.

This announcement comes on the heels of the CFDA’s letter posted on WWD yesterday, reasserting their position that they cannot, and will not, shift their Fashion Week dates any earlier. The letter cited the “Second Thursday Rule,” a pact that states New York Fashion Week will always start on the second Thursday of the month and a pact that the CFDA asserts was agreed upon by the British Fashion Council, Chambre Syndicale, and Camera Nazionale della Moda in 2008. Unfortunately from there the letter devolves into a classic case of he said, she said: “As you may have read, the dates for showing the spring-summer 2013 collections are now being disputed. Milan is claiming that the agreement was for three years only. This is not the case; the agreed-to schedule was always meant to be a long-term/permanent one.”

Does anyone else feel like this seems more akin to a power struggle between high school’s most popular clique, rather than a matter of conflicting schedules in a major industry? Boselli’s attitude certainly isn’t helping to fix that. The head of the Italian Chamber of Fashion told WWD, “Let the best one win.” Well, that’s certainly mature.

On a more serious note, though, we really can’t see how this can be allowed to happen. Will Vogue editors–especially Vogue Italy’s team–really be made to forgo Milan Fashion Week? How will London Fashion Week, who boasts considerably less designer star-power, be able to compete with big names like Prada and Dolce & Gabbana showing at the same time? On the other hand, how will the Italian labels–especially the young ones that depend on Fashion Week to bring them international exposure–be able to cope with none of Condé Nast’s editors in attendance? More importantly, how awkward will the Fall 2012 shows in February, be?

fashionista

O boy..

r1fqti.jpg

livejournal.com

Oh god, I didn't realise fall/winter was overlapping too?! What a mess.

Honestly this whole mess makes me so angry. Everyone loses out.

I think Milan Fashion Week is bloated, tacky and overrated and if I had to choose between Milan and New York/London, it will always lose out. Sadly I think London is likely to lose the most out of this debarkle - the reason why it's my favourite (it's the least commercial) is the reason why it will stand to lose as we all know money talks.

It's worth nothing they did not decide to overlap with Paris. Good move. Cuz there is no doubt who would "win".

^No way anyone would pick on Paris. I think London is set to lose from the beginning. As for New York...we'll see. This going to be one hell of a battle so bring your popcorn.

Good move. Cuz there is no doubt who would "win".
Exactly. It's clearly my way or the highway for the CFDA so why accommodating to that if you don't want to? glad they responded with a taste of their own medicine.

GO MILAN! :rofl:

(really feel bad for London though, but they should've sided with Milan and Paris from the start.. )

They will probably move the bigger shows from New York in earlier dates so they can get the best models... but I'm sad about London.

Poor London, but I'm sure things will be fixed before fw comes along.

This season, Milan was the weakest, imo. London was (and I think it is) stronger, and it's is only getting better. It is horrible that Milan and London will overlap, totally crappy. In a way it is good that London has the support of someone. What would Milan have done for London? I.e., if London had sided with them?

NYFW is overlong, though. Agree with everyone on that.

The best is Paris - please, let's just not muck with that! Paris sounds neutral on this, particularly because of couture and allowing designers who do both that and RTW enough time. And I suppose, as long as there's time for a good lunch, everyone is happy.

Italitans and Americans standing off: should be good theatre. :wink:

Milan has nothing to offer for my personal taste either, I agree with Scott in that London will always remain more experimental than any of the 3 remaining cities, and unfortunately the weakest too, they're in the middle of this chaos so it's natural to feel bad but this is more about the way people are doing business in New York, trying to run over everyone, that's what's infuriating for me, and this is coming from someone that's probably more interested in NY acts (Laing, Ames, Wauchob, etc) than Milan ones (only Marras).

Well, the America-Italia relationship isn't getting any better apparently.
But at least, everyone knows not to mess with Paris, which is the most interesting, imo. That's just sad for London, which is collateral damage of America being as always selfish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->