Edward Enninful Departing British Vogue as EIC, Promoted to New Global Role within Condé Nast

More from Vogue Business:

Edward Enninful is taking on a new position at Vogue

The British Vogue editor-in-chief will become editorial advisor in 2024.

Edward Enninful, the European editorial director of Vogue and editor-in-chief of British Vogue, will be transitioning to a new role at Condé Nast in the beginning of 2024, Vogue Business has learned.

Enninful shared the news with his Vogue House team earlier today, and in an internal memo, he addressed the heads of editorial content at Vogue France, Vogue Italia, Vogue Spain and Vogue Germany, all of whom report to him:

“Anna [Wintour] Roger [Lynch], and I have been discussing how I can play a broader role in enhancing Vogue globally.

“I am excited to share that from next year I will be stepping into the newly appointed position of editorial advisor of British Vogue and global creative and cultural advisor of Vogue, where I will continue to contribute to the creative and cultural success of the Vogue brand globally while having the freedom to take on broader creative projects.

“To optimise my increased global responsibilities, and to give British Vogue the new focus it will deserve, we saw the opportunity to hire, in concert with our global editorial structure, a head of editorial content for British Vogue. The position will partner very closely with you all and Anna, and will initially report to me until we have onboarded them.

“For now everything remains the same, and I’m so excited about what the future holds for us. I would like to thank Roger and Anna for their continued support.

The new advisory position will allow Enninful to pursue outside interests while continuing his long standing relationship with Condé Nast, which spans over 25 years. Enninful was named editor-in-chief of British Vogue in August 2017, becoming the first man and the first black editor to take on the role, and assumed the European editorial director position in December 2020. Prior to this, he was made creative and fashion director of W in 2011, and for many years before that contributed extensively to American Vogue, Italian Vogue and Japanese Vogue.

VOGUEBUSINESS.COM

WWD via Yahoo:

Edward Enninful Promoted to New, Global Role at Vogue

LONDON – Edward Enninful is moving on, and up, at Condé Nast, with a new, global role that he’ll take up in 2024 after stepping away from his post as editor-in-chief post of British Vogue.

Enninful will take on the new position of global creative and cultural adviser at Vogue, and will also become editorial adviser at British Vogue, according to a memo obtained from a Condé Nast spokesperson.

He will continue to contribute to the Vogue brand globally “while having the freedom to take on broader creative projects,” according to the memo.

On Friday, Enninful told staffers in London that his promotion was the result of discussions with bosses Anna Wintour and Roger Lynch, chief executive officer of Condé Nast, Inc., about how he could play “a broader role in enhancing Vogue globally.”

Although it’s a promotion, the management structure won’t change, and Enninful will continue to report to Wintour, who is global chief content officer for Condé Nast, and editor-in-chief of American Vogue.

Starting Friday, Enninful will also begin the hunt for a head of editorial content for British Vogue, a move aimed at bringing the publication in line with the new management structure at Condé Nast, where content is shared globally and editors in chief are a thing of the past.

Enninful has been working with Condé Nast for more than 25 years. He is widely considered to be a jewel in the editorial crown, and has long been tipped as Wintour’s heir.

He took over as editor-in-chief of British Vogue in August 2017 and in December 2020 was promoted to European editorial director of Vogue. He also served as creative and fashion director of W.He may be committed to Condé – for now – but he’s made no secret of his future ambitions beyond the world of magazine publishing. It’s clear that Condé is keen to keep him on side – and in pole position to take over if and when Wintour decides to leave.

Last September, during an interview about his memoir “A Visible Man,” Enninful told WWD about the myriad possibilities that lay before him.

“When I started [at British Vogue] in 2017, I was dealing with a magazine. Today, I’m dealing with a brand that includes print, digital, audio, video and podcasts, which is so exciting for somebody who’s so forward looking. At the moment, I’m really happy doing what I’m doing. I never plan for whatever the future brings, whether it’s in this industry, or another. I’m open. Anything’s possible,” he said.

An early adopter of Twitter, and a tech lover, Enninful said during the same interview that he’s particularly interested in the intersection point of fashion, technology and retail. “This is what fashion is really dealing with now,” he said.

In his new, global role at Vogue, he should be able to explore that intersection, and other creative challenges, further.

YAHOO.COM

LOL Of course. Now the fashion mediocrity and consumer-appeasing aesthetic of his UK/Italia/France will be double-downed on a global scale. Not even Korea and China will be safe from his plague.

Well, I suppose that's just the name of the game with consolidation and shared content. Amy Astley is Global Editorial Director for AD now, Wintour is Chief Content Officer and Global Editorial Director, now Edward's is Global Creative and Cultural Advisor. Perhaps this new position will allow for more more lucrative side gigs consulting with brands? Or maybe EICs will just be a thing of the past.

Edit: and seeing @vogue28's second post, it appears it is indeed about being able to take on more lucrative side gigs.

They have money for this (which I don't even know what it means), but they don't have money to improve the sh#tty content that's been...

We always knew it was all about money, but before they still managed to hide it with the fashion present on covers and editorials, but now they screamed a resounding "f#ck you" to all readers and subscribers!

My understanding from reading the article is that his new position is more like a “freelance” than a promotion??

They have to explicitly frame it as a promotion to avoid backlash. I'm pretty confident it was Edward's choice, anyway, so it's not entirely inaccurate.

I guess they’re slowly phasing out the EIC title. How this fares when Anna is gone is still up in the air. It’s still consolidation.

Its not gonna change anything, even as Editor of Vogue Uk they pushed this dull reprints, imagine now

They have to explicitly frame it as a promotion to avoid backlash. I'm pretty confident it was Edward's choice, anyway, so it's not entirely inaccurate.

Not surprised if Edward decided to step down because He’s basically running a reprint magazine now with less editorial freedom. As a creative person, that can be frustrating in the long term. Also with Edward stepping down that means we probably won’t see Meisel’s work in British Vogue (or any Vogue) anymore. And that also means He is no longer running as Wintour’s successor?

Not surprised if Edward decided to step down because He’s basically running a reprint magazine now with less editorial freedom. As a creative person, that can be frustrating in the long term. Also with Edward stepping down that means we probably won’t see Meisel’s work in British Vogue (or any Vogue) anymore.
That’s what I think.
and now we will see a lot of people losing they jobs at British vogue

Clever!
He has earned a more important position in the fashion industry today than any other Vogue Editor in the past. He used being the « first » at his advantage and now, he is able to pull the strings.

‘He is an asset to Condé Nast, an asset they can’t get rid off and this will allow him to have an influence in that « world of magazine » and make more money outside of the limits of the position of an EIC.
All I see is advantages on his part.

‘This put him still as the top, and maybe now the sole contender to take Anna’s place. They are creating ridiculous position names all around it but I think the role of the EIC of Vogue US will evolve into something even more centralized.
Vogue in the western world might probably speak from a unique voice.

Now, let’s see the type of profile he will choose to replace him…

As he wait to take over as EIC at American Vogue...

I'm more concerned about the replacement at British Vogue! Love him or loathe him, he had brought a lot of high fashion and mainstream prestige to the magazine. He made it more geographically inclusive. And he made that statement with Meisel shooting his debut cover. That's what set the tone for everything else.

I can't imagine anyone taking over and continuing in his direction, so it will have to be a rebrand. I'm ready for another point of view. Ideally a woman and ideally someone who is less obsessed with American culture and politics, and more tailored to the homefront.

I'm sure Edward will have a hand in picking his successor anyway.

Last edited:
They have money for this...

It actually means they don't have money. There is no money real in magazines. Whenever you see these outlandish job titles just know that the person is a glorified consultant being paid peanuts (sometimes off the books). Like sustainability editor, Tonne Goodman.
He loves fashion and he certainly loves the hyped-up profile he managed to build since editing UK Vogue, so I doubt this is by choice. They likely can't afford him and he shopped around.

Don't be surprised for this role to be phased out entirely within the next few months.

Probably his last cover will be by Steven Meisel, like closing in circle.

It actually means they don't have money. There is no money real in magazines. Whenever you see these outlandish job titles just know that the person is a glorified consultant being paid peanuts (sometimes off the books). Like sustainability editor, Tonne Goodman.
He loves fashion and he certainly loves the hyped-up profile he managed to build since editing UK Vogue, so I doubt this is by choice. They likely can't afford him and he shopped around.

Don't be surprised for this role to be phased out entirely within the next few months.
For me this is the true story

As he wait to take over as EIC at American Vogue...

I'm more concerned about the replacement at British Vogue! Love him or loathe him, he had brought a lot of high fashion and mainstream prestige to the magazine. He made it more geographically inclusive. And he made that statement with Meisel shooting his debut cover. That's what set the tone for everything else.

I can't imagine anyone taking over and continuing in his direction, so it will have to be a rebrand. I'm ready for another point of view. Ideally a woman and ideally someone who is less obsessed with American culture and politics, and more tailored to the homefront.

I'm sure Edward will have a hand in picking his successor anyway.

Exactly! So sick of the constant inclusion of world politics being shoved down our throats..which has no business in fashion magazines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ponyproductions
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->