Elie Saab Haute Couture F/W 09.10

The white really makes it look like a bridal show. Some pretty dresses, a lot of Chanel influence. I guess these will be popular for red carpet season. A bit boring though...

Days later and this collection still irks the h*ck out of me.

Why on earth would Saab do an all white collection with flower detailing just one season after Lagerfeld did the same thing for Chanel? There's even an outfit in this collection that has skinny white pants with a flower hood that is so similar to outfit Freja wore at Chanel. Plagiarism is just sickening, and boring. Saab's work isn't that bad that he should feel the need to copy others, especially so balantly.

the chanel "reference" was noticed by style.com

PARIS, July 8, 2009

By Sarah Mower

Quite what thought process did Elie Saab go through in choosing to stage an all-white Couture show in the selfsame former Rue Cambon bank where Karl Lagerfeld put on his amazingly lyrical all-white show in January? Did he think the audience wouldn't notice? Or does he really feel comfortable comparing himself to the Kaiser? Or was he simply oblivious to what had taken place there six months ago? Any which way it came about, Saab would have to be remarkably insensitive not to realize that it was going to cause a sharp intake of breath and suppressed giggles among people who know about fashion.

That noted (which it must be), following in Lagerfeld's footsteps—with short, white, graphic-shouldered and fluffy-skirted dresses—did seem to effect an update in Saab's point of view. A lot of work went into the surface decorations: the flowers made of raw-edged disks of tulle, the appliqués of single ostrich feathers, and the sprinklings of crystal. At one point, so many variations on the short theme had passed that it almost seemed like Saab had decided to devote himself to a whole new young, hip customer. Yet it wasn't to be: The lineup then reverted to the designer's more typical long dresses as if a separate collection were commencing. The shapes in this section were Empire or mermaid, silver-beaded Hollywood siren gowns interspersed with some more modern takes on Amazonian asymmetric shoulder straps and shoulder architecture. Taken individually, and put into real-life social events, there'll be nothing egregious or at all embarrassing about any of these Saab creations. They'll look current, but more thanks to Chanel than Elie Saab.

i've checked other sites for reviews. neither hilary alexander, suzy menkes, or cathy hoyrn blogged on the show. to them it's like the show didn't even happen. wwd has a review but it's for subscribers only.

some of the garments have a "bridal" feel to them, thats not necesarilu a negative, i really like the collection it is impressive

is it me or this is something far from being Elie Saab?????

thanxx for pix.

Over all this was not a horrid collection but, way to Chanel. The problem was the silhouette's of some of the dresses, plus alot of them had the floral cut outs and feather detailing which Chanel did not just starting doing. Plus this dress... Dior anyone...

http://www.imagebam.com/image/2fd21d41479341

Plus there was the long dress that Magdalina work that had the spiral lines on it...looked reminded me of the red dress that Alteir Versace did for SS 2009 (Jessica Biel wore it to the Costume Institue Gala) This collection was nice woth alot of cute peices but over it had some insperations for other designers collections

I like the collection... I think is very original wearing in white colour for Winter time.... not only black, grey or dark colors in general.

I think Elie Saab's dresses are always gorgeous.
And maybe Elie Saab is one of the designers who design the most beautiful dresses.
Great collection.<3

I like those pretty dresses so much ,they all looked like snow angels :D

The collection is really great.. I adore all the dresses... and I think Mr. Saab is one of the best designers nowadays !!

i really hope Diane Kruger wears the second dress in post 12 it was made for her xxxx

it looks like fashion oriented heaven.
like where all the designers and model's would go.
ha ha

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->