Fashion Becoming Too Mainstream?

:shock: excuse me guys but you are absolutely off topic hence be prepared to be edited in the very near future. all talk on ancient influences on Versace's work can now be viewed on the new separate thread HERE

please stay civil, polita and on topic

thanks for your understanding :flower:

I think prince and Sho are both partly right and very bright. on the fun side and movin on
I am Greek and teach African American third graders in Chicago and we luv each other!!
lets get back to 2004
anyhoo BOWLEGS your original thread about mainstream label wearing is not all true because you may have been too young to recall
In the 80's back in the day all the girls in my high school were carrying LV's and Gucci. At the time I was in love with breakdancing, tagging graffiti, and punk rock so I hated all the label wearers. I thought it was horrible and mind control
and I would make fun of them as mindless sheep
When I graduated HS in 87 my mom bought me ....much too my disdain and horror..... a real Gucci watch!! I was shaking in My Doc boots
FORWARD TO NOW
I am 34 and have a little moula..... now..... and I love LV and Gucci!!
So what the hell happened to me!!
just a little old skool anecdote ...so its not a new phenomena ...people are the same :heart:
Theone

Very insightful Theone! I think I would have liked having you as a teacher :wink:

as regards to fashion becoming mainstream,
people want TOP CELEBRITY FASHION looks at HIGH-STREET PRICES.
and with H&M, Topshop and Zara (to name but a few) catering for this demand, its no suprise that ordinary people are chosing to wear designer replica's

fashion becomes mainstream when it's relegated and abused to little more than a passing trend.

fashion becomes mainstream when replicas are generated on a mass-manufactured basis and it loses it's soul and originality.

fashion becomes mainstream when it loses its identity as an art form.

my two cents!!!

SORRY I'VE BEEN MIA EVERYBODY!! :flower: I promise to post more often, the holidays got me so busy... :wink:

HBoogie & Lena ... use it as per your discretion!!!
I'm flattered! I just do it cuz i have to live up to the standards of tFS!
:heart:
Mua!

Its completely obvious why everyone all of a sudden is sooooo fashionable due to mother F'ing main stream pop and rap. These fools are rhyming gucci with coochi and how bout."she got a thang for that gucci that 50 that prada. That bcbg, burberry, dolce and gabana." These are the most main stream musicians talking about all these brands and about how cool it is to wear them. On top of that the main age group that listen to and look up to these people starts as young as 10. So its pretty inevitable that kids are gonna be making their parents go broke cause they have to have that louis clutch or worst of all the f*****g dreadful murakami designs. So you gotta kinda blame pop for taking away so many designers respect for themselves even...like look at dooney and burke...it is a joke what they are doing with their hand bags just to sell to idiots. So talk about how its main stream and always has been but I blame pop stars and some rap artists too.

Originally posted by ebowleg@Dec 20th, 2003 - 10:24 pm
I don't want this post to come off arrogent, pompous, or snobbish in any way, but I just have to get this off of my chest. I was in the Coach store today buying a few last minute X-mas presents, when I realized- the store was packed. Not packed with you the usual women in their mid 30's and older, but with a new generation. There were 12 year old girls, hip-hoppers, and teeny boppers prancing around the store. I was shocked, it seemed that what once seemed exclusive wasn't anymore. It's like that at Gucci, Prada, and Louis Vuitton as well. In my high school (yes, high school), girls flaunt their real and fake bags like it's nothing. What once made me feel outside the box, in a good way, for carrying a designer bag now makes me feel like I'm nothing but a number. One number of the many people who have these things. Don't get me wrong, I understand that this is what's supposed to happen- especially with today's economy, but it just isn't the same.
I totally agree.
However, when I was in high school nothing like that went on. It was just a lot of knockoff designer bags that girls would strut around with and act like they owned the place. My friends and I were the real "outsiders" who actually had authentic pieces, and it drove people nuts.

Originally posted by contessacolette@Dec 30th, 2003 - 9:20 pm
fashion becomes mainstream when it's relegated and abused to little more than a passing trend.

fashion becomes mainstream when replicas are generated on a mass-manufactured basis and it loses it's soul and originality.

fashion becomes mainstream when it loses its identity as an art form.
DEFINITELY agreed.

Originally posted by thebledicone@Jan 2nd, 2004 - 1:56 am
"she got a thang for that gucci that 50 that prada. That bcbg, burberry, dolce and gabana."
Actually it's "She got a thing for that Gucci, that Fendi, that Prada..." :smile:

When I came back from Christmas break, pretty much half the girls showed up with Coach and Louis Vuitton bags and clutches. I wish people would buy things because they are cute or elegant or anything rather than the label on it.

Originally posted by thebledicone@Jan 2nd, 2004 - 2:56 am
...like look at dooney and burke...it is a joke what they are doing with their hand bags just to sell to idiots.

whoa... :shock: how arrogant. to defend these "idiots", most girls i see who carry those bags dont even know what a murakami bag is. they just think its cute. and there is nothing wrong with that.

i dont understand how many people put themselves above others just because they can afford nicer, real :rolleyes: things. whether a brand becomes too commercial or not shouldnt matter. wear what you like; theres no point in worrying what everyone else thinks. (i didnt feel like reading through the whole thread, so if what i am saying has already been said or has nothing to do with it, then sorry. reading a few posts just made me want to put in my opinion on something related to the topic)

I don't think it has anything to do with the price one pays for their clothing or putting "ourselves" above anyone else, but rather the fact that we know the histiry of the designer labels and designers themselves and we appreciate the clothing we wear. It is sad that people walk around with their fake coach bags with the G canvas and try to play it off like its real. Its people like Paris Hilton and Ally Hilfiger to name a couple that have shows where they can show off their $1000 marc jacobs bag or even their $8000 birkin bag. Paris prances around the farm in "the simple life" with her dior pants and manolo blahniks like it is totally normal. Give me a break...she thought Wal-Mart was a store that sold "stuff for walls". SHe either is extremally stupid or shes trying to portray the image that a girl needs to be ignorant of the world around her and wear couture everyday. Sorry i got off topic :blush:

Originally posted by bee+Jan 11th, 2004 - 12:42 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bee @ Jan 11th, 2004 - 12:42 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-thebledicone@Jan 2nd, 2004 - 2:56 am
...like look at dooney and burke...it is a joke what they are doing with their hand bags just to sell to idiots.

whoa... :shock: how arrogant. to defend these "idiots", most girls i see who carry those bags dont even know what a murakami bag is. they just think its cute. and there is nothing wrong with that.

i dont understand how many people put themselves above others just because they can afford nicer, real :rolleyes: things. whether a brand becomes too commercial or not shouldnt matter. wear what you like; theres no point in worrying what everyone else thinks. (i didnt feel like reading through the whole thread, so if what i am saying has already been said or has nothing to do with it, then sorry. reading a few posts just made me want to put in my opinion on something related to the topic) [/b][/quote]
I agree, and I think some of the people in this thread are being unfair towards lower income groups :( . There are lots of people out there who work hard for their money and want to look good.

Originally posted by ebowleg@Dec 20th, 2003 - 11:27 pm
I must admit, I believe that most of the company's we have mentioned here were designed to be mainstream. Maybe I'm just realizing it, or it has just started to take place. :flower:
You shouldn't feel like what you wear makes you unique, since you have just found out anyone can wear what you wear. Your beauty and persona should prevail and make you stand out.

Originally posted by ItaStyle@Jan 17th, 2004 - 2:24 pm
You shouldn't feel like what you wear makes you unique, since you have just found out anyone can wear what you wear. Your beauty and persona should prevail and make you stand out.
i so agree.. :flower:

I think some of the people in this thread are being unfair towards lower income groups . There are lots of people out there who work hard for their money and want to look good.
people should be comfortable with their 'low incomes' and stop pretending their are big shots. Its pathetic to try looking rich when one is not, luxury copies make 'lower incomes' seem pathetic.

Originally posted by Lena@Jan 17th, 2004 - 3:32 pm
I think some of the people in this thread are being unfair towards lower income groups  . There are lots of people out there who work hard for their money and want to look good.
people should be comfortable with their 'low incomes' and stop pretending their are big shots. Its pathetic to try looking rich when one is not, luxury copies make 'lower incomes' seem pathetic.
I agree w/Lena ... we know that you don't need a sh*tload of money to look fashionable ... you have to work with whatever you got ... being classy on a budget makes it even more fun, challenging and satisfactory ... people who don't eat for weeks so they can afford a lux item are plain blah! ... it's just a bit hypocrite.

PS. Here, in tFS there are people from all over the world and all social/economic status, so I beg to differ about everyone at this forum flaming against people w/lower incomes ... I'll dare to say that even you may find solutions and help to all fashion inquiries (on all price ranges) ... I'm not trying to put anyone down, I'd just like to remark that FASHION'S FOR EVERYONE, here we believe on democracy and free speech (and on making people on the street choke when they see how good we all look!) :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"