Fashion for Lesbians? The new market .....

Originally posted by softgrey@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 5:06 pm
well...it wasn't meant to be amusing...we obviously have the boys in the gay community represented, i was just wondering if we had any girls around...it seems they would know something about trends and culture and could share some insights...i'd rather hear from the community than some fashion writer who sounds like she's making it up a she goes along...
what's the big deal?
Yes, softgrey, I definitely agree. I was just making fun as it sounded like an open call for any lesbians to make their presence known.

The writer of the article basically flipped to style.com a couple weeks ago and thought "hmm. . . what looks hard-edged and butch?" then decided to write about it. Poorly, no less.

It would definitely be interesting to hear another voice on this topic.

i don't think we have any takers...looks like lesbians don't like fashion all that much after all...hmmm...i've only ever know one lipstick lesbian in my life...she just oozed sex...all the rest have been rather butch...and i've know quite a few...i wonder where are they now.... :innocent:

Sally Melanie Lourenço: "...lesbianism..."
Inigo Montoya: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Originally posted by Atelier@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 4:24 pm
Sally Melanie Lourenço: "...lesbianism..."
Inigo Montoya: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
brilliant!!!!

in-con-ceivable!! :woot:

Well I skimmed through the article, and I think the author was all over the place- writing alot, but meaning very little. :unsure: I guess it had to do with the Male/Female elements our evolving ideas of "feminine"?

I have some lesbian friends- the stand-out being my best friend of 10++ years, who is also a gorgeous model BTW. I think the lesbian scene is NYC is pretty self-contained, and even self-referential- example- we had a party this summer at a loft I used to live with a les. friend and hundreds of lesbians attended and they all knew each other.

I do think that the lesbian scene has a unique vibe to it style-wise. I find it alot more accepting of personal quirkiness than the hetero or gay male world. But I also find, true to cliche, a sub-divison of "tough"-chic lesbian that kind of turn me off(not in the sexual sense) :flower: They seem to me very rigid both in fashion and in attitude. My boyfriend has been given the "what are you even doing here" stares countless times by this "type" at clubs and parties :angry: . They seem to want ot be the "gatekeepers" of their own world, and I think the world has enough dictators already. I think that the beauty of lesbian fashion and culture is that is does feel it has to answer to anyone- what about this quote- I think its an interesting statement if anyone wishes to dicuss it--

Lesbianism sex sells, unlike male homosexuality, because women are seen as more sensual, soft and the aggression simultaneously contradicts that softness

A woman secure and confident in her sexuality and appearance is neither totally butch, nor totally frilly and femme.
What does confidence in your sexuality have to do with how butch/femme you may or may not dress?

America is being sexually reeducated, losing it's puritanical embodiment
Has this genius not heard of the FCC and their recent capers?

....Pop culture's interest in p*rn*gr*phy is fizzling out
As long as the average man remains fascinated with Paris Hilton, that's a damn lie. (She was on FHM last month and is on Maxim this month, and all with negligible cleavage!)

This person keeps contradicting itself and needs a beating from a journalism professor and anyone with a lick of sense and perspective.

well episturnem...while i disagree with your first statment...and *shock* agree with the writer...the rest of your post had me rolling :flower: :lol:

Originally posted by Episternum@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 5:44 pm
A woman secure and confident in her sexuality and appearance is neither totally butch, nor totally frilly and femme.
What does confidence in your sexuality have to do with how butch/femme you may or may not dress?

I actually think that this statement has alot to do with what I was trying to say about what see in lesbian fashion. It's about not dressing for "the man" (or the machine that is the fashion industry :innocent: ).

I'm curious about your opinion, 'cause I can be a little thick. How do you see it?

I agree with episturnem and softgrey,too- whoever wrote this article really didn't know where he/she wanted to go- I'd suggest back to the drawing board on this idea :blink: :blink:

But I do think its still an interesting topic for discussion--

Originally posted by paprika_hiccup@Mar 23rd, 2004 - 12:26 am
I actually think that this statement has alot to do with what I was trying to say about what see in lesbian fashion. It's about not dressing for "the man" (or the machine that is the fashion industry :innocent: ).
of course thats what makes lesbian market so hard to get 'marketed' its a big headache for the fashion analysts , really pisses them off that they cannot pinpoint the niche (not to say about losing those hot lesbian money :lol: )

Originally posted by Episternum@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 6:27 pm
I'm curious about your opinion, 'cause I can be a little thick. How do you see it?
it's not about playing a role-masculine or feminine...when you are confident you can just be...whatever that may be...usually it's something in the middle because all people have both a masculine and feminine aspect to themselves... :flower:

Originally posted by Episternum@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 6:27 pm
A woman secure and confident in her sexuality and appearance is neither totally butch, nor totally frilly and femme

I think that confidence in one's "sexuality and appearence" is a very powerful tool for an individual to possess. You asked-

I think that is has alot to do with it, when one is not watching the runways or glossies to see if "fem is in" this season or if "high, stached collars" are the new black :ninja: , more of your own individuality comes into play with the clothes and accessories you chose to wear. :flower: And yeeeaaa for that!

Originally posted by Alejandro+Mar 22nd, 2004 - 3:01 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alejandro @ Mar 22nd, 2004 - 3:01 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Acid@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 1:34 pm
i can understand with gay men can be feminine, cause they wanna be like their diva idols...
That is so not true Sean...not true at all :doh: [/b][/quote]
hahahaaaa diva hahahaaaa
who said all gay men liked cher or stevie? :yuk:

and don't be offended but butch dikes scare me, they scare me even more when they kiss. they've never been nice to me. on the other hand lipstick dikes are awesome.

Originally posted by mode_addict+Mar 22nd, 2004 - 11:55 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mode_addict @ Mar 22nd, 2004 - 11:55 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Alejandro@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 3:01 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-Acid
@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 1:34 pm
i can understand with gay men can be feminine, cause they wanna be like their diva idols...

That is so not true Sean...not true at all :doh:
hahahaaaa diva hahahaaaa
who said all gay men liked cher or stevie? :yuk:

and don't be offended but butch dikes scare me, they scare me even more when they kiss. they've never been nice to me. on the other hand lipstick dikes are awesome. [/b][/quote]
yah...okay... :wacko:

Well, what about a butch straight chick? 'Cause I think I might be one of those...

I'm mechanically inclined, do my own D.I.Y., rarely wear makeup, I'm brash, frequently crude, and if you've been to the Pictures thread, you can see I am not in the least bit traditionally pretty. I walk with big strides, swing my arms freely, and kind of roll from side to side (why yes, I do believe that is called a swagger!) I like rock-n-roll, science-fiction movies, and alternative comic books. I cuss--a lot. I dress solely for myself--if my husband happens to like my outfit, that's just a bonus.

I think it's daft to say "lesbians are more sensual and wholly female" or imply that straight women lack some kind of confidence or are not exotic enough. Who you shag is not the sole determiner of who you are and what you are like.

I think this article is one of those that attempts to create a trend or manufacture a buzzword. It just tries too hard to make something up out of nothing. I've got to say, all of the lesbians I have known have dressed much the same as any other women I know..jeans and tee-shirts (okay, some of the tee-shirts had rainbows, smartass LBGT slogans, or were light purple) when bumming around at home, suits and Office Casual at work, sundresses when it is really hot, ect. Granted, I do live deep in the Midwest, and most people don't dress that crazy, gay or straight.

Originally posted by Spacemiu@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 10:11 pm
I'm sos ick of thsi lesbian/ bi sexual girl trend.

People will captilise on whatever they can, its all bullsh*t :sick:
Totally in agreement with Spacemiu - What a load of doodoo!

Hmm. I personally don't think that wearing tight-and-frilly or jack boots-and-overalls is really a good indicator of sexual confidence, and that being somewhere in the middle also doesn't indicate diddly. A person could be an emotional wreck and having a lot of doubts about herself or could be a dynamo, but the way they dress, at least from my experience, is more situationally-determined than a sign of sexual confidence. Of course, I see lots of exceptions (Saturday night on Sixth Street is a flesh parade), but for the most part the people I see dress like their friends. Discussions are fun! :wink:

The article is a load of pretentious RUBBISH !!!! :yuk:

If we are talking a style that is ' totally by a woman for women , full stop ' , could I mention JIL SANDER's clothes that have an essential ' sexual neutrality ' that possibly could be taken as ' lesbian style ' , if such an elusive concept could be made manifest in a way of dressing ? B)

Just an idea . :unsure:

KIT :innocent:

I couldn't make it through the article, found it to be very poorly written and meandering as others have said.

I think Spacemiu summed it up nicely! :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->