Fashion for Lesbians? The new market .....

Discussion in 'Fashion... In Depth' started by stylegurrl, Mar 22, 2004.

1. kit

kit New Member

This has been a superb thread with really telling comment . B)

I have found it truly enlightening . :eek:

Thanks to all . :flower:

KIT :blush:

2. RedActrice

RedActrice New Member

I agree, this HAS been an interesting forum. Didn't realize so many people were so passionate about the stereotypes promulgated in the media, by designers and of course in history itself about lesbianism. But, I truly feel that it has something to do with the fact that the male gay population is much more "out" in their behaviours, appearances, lifestyles and personalities...I wouldn't want it any other way since I have don't know anyone who is more optimistic and in love with life and themselves, despite their tribulations in society's acceptance of them. It is truly a lesson to be learned. Still, I think there is something to be said for the stereotypes and the fact that lesbians, and their looks have helped women in general break down what is acceptably feminine. (since it is undeniable that in outward appearance we ALL derive a certain meaning and attribute characteristics and categories to those physical style choices) . Designers I don't think are trying to "tap into a market", I think they are trying to celebrate and explore the ideas behind the looks, whether they be cultural, political or just plain aesthetic. That is something more interesting than just blatantly thinking that "modern" means being futuristic, and feminine means wearing pink.

Nevertheless, this thread has been an eye opener to peoples' thoughts and perspectives about what fashion means to them and what they think about the sexuality that lies within what you wear and how you wear it.
    :shock:

:heart:

3. onehotgrrl

onehotgrrl New Member

Great articles RedAtrice! Thank you...

4. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

some interesting views from the long The Secret Power of Lesbian Style NYT article from today's Style section :flower:

is America fresh in realising the existance and social 'importance' of lesbianism?
    the whole article is written as if US is going through somekind of 'awaking' in a lesbian reality :rolleyes:

extracts:

dykedolls? do me a favour.. is that ridiculous or what :rolleyes:

i was a bit suprised to read the following since just about everyone goes around in flat fronts and tank Ts here during summer.. since when is this a lesbian style :unsure:

what really makes me wonder is the recent 'trend' of focusing on lesbian & gay fashions. Obviously it seems to be a rising 'niche' market, that people want to de-code and quickly cash in but still.. there is too much interest all of a sudden.
    is the american society changing towards lesbianism?
    any views on that?

for the full The Secret Power of Lesbian Style NYT article click the link

5. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

oh yes.. i forgot the :rolleyes: lesbian visuals :lol:

[​IMG]Patricia Field, right, made gay trends mainstream in "Sex and the City."
    (excuse me what's gay about the sex&the city fashions? i never watched the series but i really dont think sjp's looks are in any kind lesbian inspired.. is scarf wearing lesbian chic? are we serious? :unsure: )

6. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

[​IMG]

:blink: "The slacker look of the gay model Amanda Moore, left, is echoed in Undercover's Paris show." :rolleyes:

(excuses ...to me she's dressed just like everyone else, i can't see the 'gay' style here or its connection with the Undercover look.. IT'S JUST A simple BASIC everyday LOOK :p )

7. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

[​IMG]

"Erin O'Connor in a Moschino ad inspired by drag kings."

:rofl: i must be missing something .. drag kings? excuse me? :lol:

8. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

[​IMG]

"Ashton Kutcher's trucker hat look last year on "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno" owes something to lesbian bikers"

:blink: say what? they must be joking :rofl:

9. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

[​IMG]

"A woman at the 1995 gay pride parade in New York"

aww ok, that -hehehhehe- explains the whole "the truck hat is a lesbian trend" look , much more since it is a 1995 photo :rolleyes: they are clearly joking

10. Meg

Meg inspired contemplation

that Amanda Moore picture is simply stupid. Seriously, what about pictures of Kylie in boots over jeans and a blazer? oh wait, that picture doesn't count because it doesn't prove their point :rolleyes:

11. prixi

prixi New Member

I echo your opinion. :rolleyes: that is SO stupid. Talk about lame. Lame, lame, pathetic( sorry I can't get over it :blush: )

12. prixi

prixi New Member

Good one. :rofl: :rofl:

13. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

in the gay clubs there are female performers who impersonate men and call themselves drag kings...the flip side of drag queens...

and the US IS having a bit of a love affair right now with gays and lesbians...
    the "L" word ...the show on HBO...has a lot to do with this...although i don't really know any lesbians who look or act like the characters on the show...but then again i don't really know anyone who looked or acted like the characters on sex and the city either...

then there is ellen degeneres...whose talk show is wildly successful...and who did a superb job as the voice of a talking fish in finding nemo...

and the whole gay marriage thing is a big news story these days...

if you ask me...the article is just a bunch of hype really... :wacko:

thanks for posting lena... :flower:

14. LolitaLuxe

LolitaLuxe Vision of Paradise

15. Incroyable

Incroyable New Member

It's very Helmut Newton, and Marlene Dietrich.

[​IMG]

16. kleinesdeutsch

kleinesdeutsch New Member

That was shocking...we ought to continue with 50s conservative Republican sensibilities instead.

17. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

What was shocking?

18. kleinesdeutsch

kleinesdeutsch New Member

It's just rather insulting what they have turned a lady into...masculine and sex-driven.

19. meme527

meme527 New Member

just discovered this thread so am catching up. I must say, the original article's academic tongue flapping is the kind of thing that floats my boat! :lol:

i am not sure if any lesbians ever weighed in onthis topic, but i must say as a bi-female it is hard to carry the weight of an entire community on your shoulders. as a black woman i get this more often, since ethnicity/skin color are more obvious. a roomful of people are discussing something and when the question comes up, "how does the african-american community feel about this?", guess who all eyes turn to? :shock:

but i think that the answer to what lesbians want in fashion is probably what all women want which is to feel comfortable in their own skin, to feel confident and to wear whatever reflects that for them. i think the trick MAY be that, without intimate male pressure (as opposed to societal male pressure, which exists for everyone in a sexist world regardless of sexual orientation) women are naturally that much more self-determining. and our natural diversity is harder to mass market!

regarding butch women - having known plenty of butch women my sense is that "they" (and i hate to group people together, and i am NOT speaking for butch women) dress in what makes them feel most comfortable. i know as a preteen adn teenager, i refused to wear dresses for a while - i just felt girls were...too...girly, although now, when the mood strikes me, i am as femme as they get. and the butch women i know express themselves in ways that make them feel good, just like everyone else.

great thread, can't wait to finish it!

meme

20. meme527

meme527 New Member

but did you notice that, now that everyone knows ellen is a lesbian, homsexuality doesn't get mentioned on her show, no matter whose she's talking to? :lol:

meme

#80 meme527, May 12, 2005
    Last edited by moderator : May 12, 2005