Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), New York

To anyone who knows anything about FIT:

I'm entering in the fall as a transferring sophomore, but I just realized I want to change my major from fashion merchandising management to fabric styling. Does anyone know if I can do this even though I'm doing the one-year AAS, or if I could get the AAS in FMM and then switch to fabric styling for the bachelor's portion? Thanks!

Merged with existing thread ... please search before starting a new thread.

Anyone applied/applying to/currently attending graduate school at FIT?

Co-ed traditional rooms

Hey guys, I am an incoming freshman for fall 2010 and I will be majoring in FMM :smile:
I applied for housing on 22th April and I got the Co-ed traditional style room, which made me kinda frustrated because it is not the type of room I applied for (Alumni Hall Quad apt)

But anyways I have a question for you all, especially for people who live (or used to live in) Co-ed hall traditional room....How is it there? Is it hard to share a bathroom with the whole floor? It is easy to make friends?

And my mum is kind of concerned with the me being in a co-ed dorm, can anyone tell me how it is sharing a floor with guys?

I am thinking about withdrawing my housing app and get an apartment off-campus, is it a good idea?

please feel free to leave me any additional information about the dorm or campus life :smile:
thank you so much!!

@fishballesque: Okay, I don't go to FIT, but I do live on a co-ed hall in college and share a bathroom with 14 other girls (two showers, three sinks, three toilets). I'm gonna have to say that the bathroom situation sucks. I constantly have to pull hair from five other girls out the drains and it gets dirty VERY quickly with so many people using so few facilities. Hopefully you will have more sinks, toilets, and showers per person that us.
But the co-ed thing? Don't sweat it. You'll see members of the opposite sex in towels or robes on the way to the shower, but that's it. No one will look at you sexually because it's so normal that everyone's desensitized to it. It creates a balanced hall life and these people will become your friends. Tell your mom not to be worried. Nothing inappopriate will happen just because you live on a co-ed hall. In most schools "hallcest" (dating or hooking up with hallmates) is taboo anyway (though I did it my first year and am now engaged to the person I hallcested with...shhh). I think that for freshmen, living in a coed traditional hall is the way to go whatever school you go to. There will probably be lots of socializing and activities facilitated by your RA to help you meet people. Withdrawing your housing app and moving off-campus is a terrible idea for a freshman. You will feel isolated and out of the loop and will have a much harder time meeting people.

Good luck!

Hey guys, I am an incoming freshman for fall 2010 and I will be majoring in FMM :smile:
I applied for housing on 22th April and I got the Co-ed traditional style room, which made me kinda frustrated because it is not the type of room I applied for (Alumni Hall Quad apt)

But anyways I have a question for you all, especially for people who live (or used to live in) Co-ed hall traditional room....How is it there? Is it hard to share a bathroom with the whole floor? It is easy to make friends?

And my mum is kind of concerned with the me being in a co-ed dorm, can anyone tell me how it is sharing a floor with guys?

I am thinking about withdrawing my housing app and get an apartment off-campus, is it a good idea?

please feel free to leave me any additional information about the dorm or campus life :smile:
thank you so much!!

ugh so jealous! i applied for a large kauffman 2-person room and i got an alumni suite instead :(

Fashion Merchandising

Interning ... or assisting is a great way to do it. Most stylists fall into it via connections and being in the right place at the right time.... have no formal training in "styling" at all ... or even fashion school. Fashion editors or magazines are stylists too ... just on a payroll. All of that info is in the Stylist thread ... It's a long read, but there are several of us who are actually stylists who talk about all the ins and outs of becoming and suceeding as a stylist.

I don't know why people get an AA in "fmm" ... it is not a logical career path. I think they may have been mislead by someone ... maybe the fashion schools themselves, since they need to make a profit.

Anyway ... we are off topic here ... so if you want to learn more about becoming a stylist, go here: All About Becoming a Fashion / Wardrobe Stylist

Hi Bette T...I am farely new to the site and I have been trying to do some research and get opinions on studying Fashion Merchandising Mangement. I am intersted in going to FIT for their AAS program. I dont however want to waste time in a gimicky tpye degree. I am very curios to know why do you feel AA in FMM is not a logical career path?

If anyone else who has an insight on this subject matter please feel free to chime in. Thanks!

Welcome to the Fashion Spot!

I made that comment because we were talking about someone who wanted be become a fashion stylist.

Fashion Merchandising Is often mistaken for one of several other jobs. Merchandising in general is about numbers, profit and loss, and how order the right amount of inventory and the right mix to make that maximum profit. A merchandiser normally oversees the buyers and the visual merchandisers and sometimes works closely with the advertising and PR people. To be a merchandiser, you need an interest in business, numbers, statisics and statistical trends ... skills which you can use in any retail business. It's not exclusive to fashion and it's not styling. Only visual merchandisers do anything like styling ... but that, too, is another profession (and we have athread about that and one about buyers, as well).

If you goal is to be a fashion merchandiser or a buyer, then this is possibly the right direction, or al least one of them to reach that goal. I know nothing about FIT's FMM program ... I"m a stylist, not a "merchandiser"... so I don't know if the course is good or not. However, FIT is a respected school for fashion design, so I would think it's got some value. Do more research ....

Here are some related threads about Fashion Merchandising:
Fashion Merchandising
Buying and Merchandising/PR and Marketing - similarities and overlaps

Thank you and for the quick response too! i am interested in possiable becoming a buyer..not sure as of yet. I have to be honest and say what really has my attention is FIT Accessorie Design Degree but in todays economy that may not be a smart thing to do..atleast for now. I am thinking about looking into the field of becoming a buyer as a second career choice because it is business related and it deals with fashion which I love..even though it is dealling with numbers which I dont love.:P was thinking about taking FFM AAS and as my upper-division alternative, Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing BS degree. I have a background in both fashion and beauty. I know I have to choose which world I want to be in but i figured this is a great way to build a better a foundation for myself education wise especially with the experience I have obtain through freelance work as a design, production, and merchandising assistant. I have also studied esthetics (skincare) worked in spas. At this point I would not mind in the future taking my knowlege in beauty to a corporate enviroment..even to create my own skin care line...but for now would love to work in the world of fashion. What do you think about combining these two degrees?

Also if anyone feels to chime in please feel free to do so. thanks!

Marketing and Merchandising are related ... so they seem like a good combination, if you want to go into any kind of business.

I do beleive that it's not necessary to take a product specific course (fashion or cosmetics) when we are talking about marketing or merchandising. I'd make sure that the foundation in the courses is really mostly about marketing and merchandising which is going to be the foundation that you will need. I'd compare it to courses offered at non fashion shcools ... you might find that the regular school teaches more about your subject and will better prepare you for the business world.

However ... if you are trying to take design classes too ... then I can see that your main focus might not be business .... but more focused on being creative.

So that might make more sense to go to FIT, then. It's hard to do both effectively ... so do take a long hard look at where your skills and passions lie, before you decide.

And if you are looking at someday running your own business .. having your own line of accessories ... then you will need both skills ... business and creative. Or, what most people do ... find a partner. One of you is the creative person and the other is the business person .... just sort of thinking ahead.

Re: the economy. Economic times change ... it's a cycle. So, by the time you are ready to start your own line, we probably will be looking at a better economic picture. So preparing now so you can be ready when things turn around is a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Bette T for your sound advice! I do have some thinking to do.

hey guys! when can we pay for the tuition and housing? i haven't received any notifications yet :-/

Hello everyone! First off, I want to congratulate everyone whom had gotten accepted to FIT! Reading your scripted happiness, I am really excited for you and hope you all the best once you start.

Moving on, I am starting grade 11 in high school the end of this summer, hence I'm quite nervous about college already. Although I'm puzzled regarding applications and when to apply and all that, I sure do know my number 1 school choice is FIT. I was wondering if anyone could tell me when it is the best time to apply? Should I do it by the end of junior year or senior year? I will be majoring in fashion design if that helps at all. As you may have inferred, I have so many questions regarding the timing of application and what to do if accepted and whatnot. If you have a link to direct me for some reading, that would be so so so helpful too.

Hello everyone! First off, I want to congratulate everyone whom had gotten accepted to FIT! Reading your scripted happiness, I am really excited for you and hope you all the best once you start.

Moving on, I am starting grade 11 in high school the end of this summer, hence I'm quite nervous about college already. Although I'm puzzled regarding applications and when to apply and all that, I sure do know my number 1 school choice is FIT. I was wondering if anyone could tell me when it is the best time to apply? Should I do it by the end of junior year or senior year? I will be majoring in fashion design if that helps at all. As you may have inferred, I have so many questions regarding the timing of application and what to do if accepted and whatnot. If you have a link to direct me for some reading, that would be so so so helpful too.

You would apply the fall of your senior year. I applied last year and I believe the earliest you could submit materials and portfolio was October/November. And the deadline was mid January. I applied for Fashion Design AAS- and did not get in. I had two horribly pretentious men interview me, and yah it was pretty bad :angry:. And I had a pretty fab portfolio in my opinion. However I did get into Parsons and will be starting in August :D

Anyhow- I would suggest applying to a few backup schools as well considering that FIT is so hard to get into. Since it's a state school and so affordable they're acceptance rate is around 40%. If you want some info to read I would suggest reading through all the discussions on FIT's facebook page- I read through all of them while I was applying to try to ease my mind!

I found this on their site, fitnyc.edu on the Admissions page. This tells me it's useless to apply too soon.
1. Online application.
Apply online at http://www.suny.edu/student/. After you apply, you’ll receive two letters confirming that your application has been received. The first letter will come from the SUNY Application Services Center. The second letter will be sent from FIT to the email address indicated on your SUNY application and will have what you need to complete the admission process. The FIT email will include:
  • Your assigned Student Identification Number
  • FIT Username and Password
It can take 7-10 days to receive the first email from FIT after submitting the SUNY application. PLEASE NOTE: Spring applicants will receive this email after September 15. Fall applicants will receive this email after November 1.

This tells me that if you want to start in Sept., they will start to process apps around November the year before. They won't even respond or open a file for your application before then. So ... do it fall of your senior year at high shcool ... October sounds good.

Hi! The best time to apply is around 3rd/4th week of August during your senior year. You'll be one of the first to be contacted if you did apply at this time. Your application will be then activated by 3rd/4th week of October. And just an advise, you have to submit all the requirements before December 31st just so you'll be in their priority list (if you have an impressive portfolio and essay) and your chances of getting accepted will be greater.

Good luck with your application! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
yyycontrol, first off, I'm glad to hear you'd gotten in Parsons- that is my second choice and probably the only choice I would consider if not FIT. It's a great school, I'd heard, and I'm sure it will be worthy of your $$ and time! Your post was really helpful, thank you.

waxy, thanks for your post; it definitely boosted my self-esteem and optimism. By the way, I enjoy your blog very much!

Hello everyone,

Congratulations to all who have been accepted for Fall 2010! I got accepted back in March for two-year AAS Accessories Design and like all of you I'm super excited!!!!! I feel like August is light years away! Can't wait to go apartment hunting in NYC, I'm looking to rent a nice studio or a one-bedroom in West Village/Soho:D My only problem now is trying to fit 20 pairs of shoes in my
suitcase!

GWOD - I'm exactly the same as you, looking forward to the Facebook updates! Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcos11
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->