Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), New York

I don't think the dorms at FIT are awful at all. I have a suite and I was surprised by how big and clean it was. My friend has a dorm at Parsons and it looks like a jail. But then again, I've only seen a few of Parsons dorms. And FIT isn't going to be full of fashionable people because they have all sorts of majors there, not just fashion design.

really? you must be in a different building then the one i viewed. which parsons dorms are jail-like? i want to make sure not to be in that one :wink:

Marlton was crazy. Maybe it was because my friend had a single but just don't get that one if you end up applying. And Loeb as well. It wasn't really jail-like, but it was old, a bit dirty and cramped. I've heard the dorms on 21st are really nice though. A bit more expensive and further away, but a lot nicer.

k so i take like saturday and sunday classes at FIT and i think i want a go there but i really just want to go to a regular collage with like a campus and stuff but i dont want my career in fashion to get f'd up so if i went to regular collage would i be screwed?

i know a few people who have gone to places like OSU and is currently in the fashion business right now. they've designed for like a&f, limited too and justice mostly though. may be because they live in ohio though. i certainly think going to FIT and schools with a strong fashion program will help because networking is important i think. i mean im sure some designers have graduated from regular colleges and have made a successful career. im no professional on this, but just my opinion.

If your looking for a normal "college campus" experience. You won't get it at F.I.T. People at F.I.T tend to care more about their career's than they do about that. And New York is your campus. Don't see how it can get any better than that.

I'm getting my bachelor in fashion design (not from FIT, Im in Canada) pretty soon but I wanna improve my construction skills...

I've heard FIT is great with construction, better than Parsons but does anyone know if construction is emphasized more on the AAS program or the BFA program....

I'm only starting out at F.I.T and we've already done so much construction-wise. F.I.T also has 4 years of construction, rather than just 3 that Parsons has, and I've heard that they rush the construction part because of that. I'm not sure about emphasis between the two programs, but I'm pretty sure it's both. At F.I.T, you start off with construction in your first year and continue onto higher levels each semester, becoming more advanced as you go along. People in the AAS still learn a lot in terms of construction, and the BFA just expands on the specific fields. So if you were going into Evening wear, you would learn to construct with different types of delicate fabrics, etc.

Hmmm... I guess I would have to start from the beginning *dizzy*

In their BFA program.. Do you actually have to chose between knitwear, special occasion, active wear, whatever whatevr..?? or can you take some courses from all of them??

I work 3 blocks away from F.I.T. I also took a course there. Urghhh. Someone also mentioned that F.I.T. is more of a career oriented College. That is very true, and that is just what I could use if I was going for fashion design. I am still debating.

They are very competitive though. They are cheaper too, but I like Parsons A LOT better eventhough they are sooooo expensive.

Does anyone know anything about the evening and week-end associates degree program? I'm in NJ, work a full time job, but would love to do it. Only problem is, I work until 5pm, so I'm not sure if the classes are too early. For me the later the classes the better as it gives me more time to get there from NJ via train.

For those who know a little about FIT, maybe you can help me.
I'm looking forward to apply into a Fashion US School in fall 2010. I'm from France, and right now I'm preparing a two-years diploma. I would like to apply into communication, management or marketing. I would like to know if FIT is a great school for those majors ? Because I read some bad things about FIT, but maybe it's just about design classes ? And I know, every schools aren't perfect, I know a lot about that. Anyway, do you know if Parsons has a great program about fashion communication/management/marketing ?
I'm also interested into FIDM, but it seems that NYC would be a better place to live, and to work into fashion.
And do you think I should come to NYC first and visit the school before applying ? Because doing all apllication trough internet seems pretty hard, especially when I'm not from the country.
Thanks for you help.

I have a bit of a conundrum. I recently graduated from the University of Delaware with a Bachelor's of Science in Fashion Merchandising and a minor in French.

I've been going on interviews in the city, but it has gotten quite tiresome b/c I haven't gotten any jobs, PLUS the 2 1/2 hr each way commute on Amtrak is severely draining my funds. I know NYC is really where I want to end up- but moving down w/out a job isn't really an option for me.

So then I got to thinking about going to FIT and pursuing an additional degree. (Merchandising is not something I'm so keen on doing the rest of my life). That way, I would be down in NYC full time, making connections, and doing more internships to flesh out my resume (I only had 1, which I did this summer and had to cut short b/c of commuting expense). I'm not too concerned about tuition, since I am in-state.

I was thinking specifically about the Fabric Styling program. Anyone have specific info about it? Do you think this is a worthy idea, or should I continue to go back and forth on interviews hoping to land one?

does anyone know about the Advertising part of FIT!

I've applied and paid, when does my email from FIT come in :angry:! Do i need to send in my transcript also, even thought it's sent now, and then i get it or...what!

If you mean that you have paid and applied through the SUNY website then
DON´T DO ANYTHING UNTIL YOU GET THE FIT USERNAME AND PASSWORD

i was in a similar position as you ,mcnuwave.
I had paid and applied SUNY last week and only got my FIT username and password today. However once you do get your FIT email it will be pretty easy since you just go onto myFIT.com and then you just go through all the steps (history form with all your attended school and the Essay which you admit online) and only THEN you send them the transcripts.

Hope this was relevant to your concern!

k so i take like saturday and sunday classes at FIT and i think i want a go there but i really just want to go to a regular collage with like a campus and stuff but i dont want my career in fashion to get f'd up so if i went to regular collage would i be screwed?
I'm at FIT now studying Fashion Event Planning and I also attended a liberal arts college, Spelman College, which was not fashion-oriented. As long as you have a degree, whether you get an Associate's or a Bachelor's, potential employers will not penalize you for going to a liberal arts school. But the downside of a liberal arts school is that you will not make as strong fashion industry connections because your classmates/friends/professors/mentors will not be as interested and involved in the industry as you plan to be. At a fashion school, you will have a greater opportunity to network in the industry, which will lead to internships/jobs/or freelance gigs.

Hey Christian, do you know how late the classes can be? My perfect class time would be anytihng after 7pm, but I'm not sure how FIT works. Most colleges have classes that are 55 minutes long.

I'm in my first semester at FIT as an FMM major. I love it so far! It is definitely not the "College campus" experience that you might get at say Penn or Rutgers, but the opportunities in New York City alone are abundant. All of my teachers have great industry experience, particularly my advertising teacher who happens to work for 2 separate advertising firms. The work load is intense, but I feel that FIT is what I need to become prepared for an actual job in the industry.

A great advantage of being in the city is having the opportunity to visit showrooms and job interviews at any time during the week. I got the opportunity to work at the Spring '09 fashion shows at Bryant park back in September which was AMAZING and I'm going to visit the David Yurman showrooms this Wednesday. I'm part of the Merchandising Society club that always has guest speakers from successful companies who are looking for interns all the time.

Just in the past 2 weeks, I've gotten job interviews with American Apparel and Bath Junkies. And as far as the dorming goes, I'm in the Alumni Hall, which is the best dorming situation. We have these nice little apartments with a kitchen and a bathroom for 4 girls. My suite happens to be at the end of the hall, so my bedroom in particular is huge.

I love FIT and would reccomend to anyone SERIOUS about working in the fashion industry. It is a lot of work but there are great connections to be made with professionals in the industry. Hope this helps! :blush:

they seem to really emphasize knowing how to make clothes. is it required to understand how to construct clothes and knowing how to sew a piece together?

sorry but didn't anyone get their portfolio requirement outline thing? i just realized i got mine in my FIT account, which i NEVER check, and it was sent like 2 weeks ago.. now i have one week to make it according to their preferred deadline, does anyone know if they really care about when you do send it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->