Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), New York

I was gonna choose the fashion design major when I apply to FIT but it's intimidating to read about that you need to know the basic stuff of sewing. I did take a sewing class for 1.5 year throughout my high school years but I honestly didn't learn much there. So I think I should go for the fine arts major but I've never read or heard reviews on FIT's fine arts department. Is it any good as the fashion department? Should I even apply to FIT for fine arts major or apply to other schools that are have good fine arts department?

i wouldn't be intimidated by the garment test. just do a simple shirt, skirt and a dress. they don't care if you drafted it, so just buy a pattern. i think they just want to know that you know how to operate a sewing machine, and know what a seam, dart and things like that are. idk much about the fine arts department either.

I just sent in my essay a couple of days ago. Did anyone get anything that said that they received your application?

im about to complete my online essay and school history right now. ive sent in my portfolio, but no word on whether they received it yet.

^
how fast did you get your FIT portfolio requirements?

err this is making me worry a bit, its so late... alrdy. i should have applied earlier... its amazing how fast you finished your portfolio though if your submitting it already.

Does anyone know when decisions are coming out or if it's rolling?

This is killing me.

i hear around march or april...

i signed up at suny and got my id and a few weeks later i checked my id and they had sent me my portfolio requirements.. i opened it two weeks late!! so i did my portfolio in two weeks and turned it in a week late, which makes me a bit nervous. i thought they'd give me instructions after i completed my online essay form, but that wasn't the case. i mean it did say they don't start your application till you finish that form, so what happens to all the portfolio that's turned in before? im gonna be so mad if they discarded it or something.

From what I hear, January is the due date for portfolio. I haven't sent in mine yet, I haven't touched a sewing machine in years and of all things to hold to me back, the bobbin kept stuck!

^
that can't be true, at least for fashion design since "recommended" application deadline is jan.1. and it takes like a week for them to give you your homework.
did you get your account yet?

I'm in the 2 year fashion design program (Spring '09 is my last semester) and I have to say, I love my program. There are some really amazing teachers and I have learned SO MUCH. I'm actually sad to be graduating.... a lot of people put it down for being "more technical" but honestly, above everything it's my art skills that have increased dramatically since I have been there...

Got my account. 3 weeks? well... hmm........... -_-; ........
i'm lost for words.

For all fashion design applicants, or any other major that offers it, I would recommend you go to the in person interview if possible. It really helps.

hmm.. why does it say on their website that they don't conduct interviews?!

^^ They do conduct interviews if you show up in person and do all the testing. I'm pretty sure it's limited to a number of applicants but I have seen it done while walking the halls one day...

Last edited by a moderator:
ah, yeah i was a bit confused cause the guy i talked to at portfolio day talked me a lot about the interview, and then i go on their website and it says they don't..

does anyone know what it means when your admission type is 'freshmen advanced standing'? it's doesn't say advanced standing hold, which there's an explanation for at the bottom, so im just curious. it's on my application statues.

I was planning on applying for first year menswear for next fall, the website says all they want is 10 fashion sketches and then general portfolio requirements, so are they just not looking for any sewn garments?
also I had no idea I could go to the states and they said its best to apply before JAN 1st, which has clearly passed, will I still be able to apply for the fall term or only spring?

I'm not sure if every major offers interviews, but I know some programs such as fashion design and communication design do. You get the interview information in a packet if you applied. It's basically just a big interview day where they give a big group of people one date to come in and show their portfolio and get interviewed, and if you can't show up, then you just mail everything in instead.

^
that can't be true, at least for fashion design since "recommended" application deadline is jan.1. and it takes like a week for them to give you your homework.
did you get your account yet?

Yup got my account about a week after I submitted my online application.

Believe it or not, I'm still working on my portfolio! It's much harder than I thought.

Yup got my account about a week after I submitted my online application.

Believe it or not, I'm still working on my portfolio! It's much harder than I thought.

ya i understood what you meant after i got my portfolio req. i'm still doing the garments. i think 3 weeks is bit ridiculous though. i mean isn't this also the time where we work our ***es off on other school application hwks? whille exams and final projects are launched all over the place? too much overlap .
srry for ranting too much :D

you applied to womenswear right?

@DIAMONDBUTTS
Jan 1 is recommended application Date. You can still apply for fall, and seeing is menswear i think you still have pretty good chance of equal judging.
i applied for womenswear, but when you apply you get a mail that gives you heck loads of other requirements. Since we are on different courses, idk what the hwk will be for yours. But in our hwk, we had to make garmentS.
and FIT being a technical school, I'm pretty sure they'll at least require 1 garment construction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm planning to apply into advertising and marketing communications for fall 2010. I want to know if as an international student I have special things to do or to get before applying. I know that I have to get the TOEFL, but do I have to pass SAT too ?
And for the tuitions costs, does someone know if an international student is consider as an out-of-state student ? And are the fees are really expansive ?
Last question i pormise, can i take an interview to get more information, someone already did this ??
Thanks in advance !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->