Fashion Story Ideas

if i was about to shoot a story for the ss08 collections (i just saw ny fw for the moment...)
i would do sthg à la Sofia Copolla... very soft and romantic... don't know why but shooting in Iceland, in summer... or perhaps south of spain...
a girl who's getting away from all the crazyness of her society...

would use a lot of white and yellow... touch of grey and black... maybe blue and brown...
most of the outfit are skirst and dress...
no shoes at all (or only for the last photo)... some jewels... earings and necklaces (because she's from the city, you know...)
model must be very classic... maybe blond... natural/soft hair and make up...

the first one would be the girl getting out of a typical small icelandic house...
she would be riding horses, she would walk on a never-see-the-end icelandic road,
pictures on the icelandic beach, and in the nature... a b&w photo next to the blue lagoon, 3-4 colours and b&w photos in Thingvellir
one colour photo with the girl lying next to a geyser... one by night (hehe in Iceland in summer...) in front of the Hallgrímskirkja church... this would the last shoot... she would be like kneeing, with her luggage, in front of the church... maybe crying... but we wouldn't know because the photo is not a portrait!!! we would have to see the church full...

would actually be a travel of the girl from the icelandic nature/desert to the town... well to the hallgrimskirkja church

it's, I guess, very common story...
she's not having fun at all, she's just happy to be away from the world...

new story...

in town... paris... an executive-agressive-terrorist-strong-glamazon-warrior woman...
a scyzophrenic character... so double model or not...
the other girl (or same girl) : very calm wearing the same outfit but with a different attitude, soft... a mother-to-come...
only 1/2 access./outfit would change...

photog : Newton-Meisel-Klein

first girl : she's wearing Nicolas Sarkozy mask on her face... pretty hair, dark hair... tall legs (so tall heels), strong and good structure... masculine attitude... a girl à la Eleanore B. or vintage Erin Wasson... or Hannelore
second girl : the same without the mask and a feminine attitude because of her pose or changed access.

she's on the streets of Paris by night and day... going to big touristic places and shops... Concorde, le Louvre, Ritz (and place Vendôme), Louis Vuitton etc. going crazy, messy, not vulgar at all... just strong!
the other girl (the calm one) is always close to her in the background or amongst the unkwown ppl crowd... crying, being shocked etc.

for one photo i want the agressive girl on the top of a Hummer... white one... all disgusting... this photo would be a double page, b&w... in the middle of Avenue Montaigne...
with Nicolas Sarkozy mask, wearing pencil skirt, high high heels, big belt and sthg strong and agressive on the shoulders, guns in the hands and a big bag in the other hand... full of cash...... crazy attitude...
a big Louis Vuitton down the Hummer
the other girl is dressed the same but with a white blouse or shirt... col lavalière...
holding a Louis vuitton bag, smaller size and with two kids... dressed very conservative... running away from the Hummer...

tigh high boots, leggings, boots, pencil skirts, white shirts
very grpahic and strict outfits...
the nice girl is wearing the same, but no graphic on tops...
she always have a cooler hair style...
or why not the same outfit in another colour...

at the end of the shoot... the two girls are next like twins...don't know about the last pose... but it's colour photo... at the end of the day... or by night

not a very thinking idea, yet... maybe bad idea...
but im having fun with this thread...

the sources :

{edited by me}

some first ideas for the icelandic story....
it's a start (and maybe an end... actually)...
maybe the editorial would start with a view on Iceland... a landscape...
(iceland view from my archives... looks from style.com... edited by me)

1st image :

2nd image (double page) :

4th image (double page) :

not really sure for this one...

5th image :

6th image :

7th image (double page) :

^ :buzz: that's awesome, berlin.. I lovelovelove the icelandic story! :heart:

I don't know if any other collections will be doing the surealist beauty of Marc besides maybe comme de Garcon but I would a mad hatter story. Set in some English forest with all the models in brightly colored clothes just thown together haphazzerdly. I'd have to wait and hope some other designer go crazy this season. Fingers crossed for Mcqueen and Galliano to go Ape S***.

^you can do a Marc Jacobs Tribute story...

I'm doing one...

A rich old grand'ma with her grand-daughter in NYC (or L.A)... The grand mother's got a puppy with her... maybe two or three... walking in big streets of NYC with her grand-daughter... the grand' ma access. very very luxxxx ( big big Hermes bags, and big Chanel bags... + big jewels borderline on frenc-english bourgeoisie and american blingbling...)
they are doing shoppings for the grand daughter Prom Night... with a Carrie (by Stephen King) ending...
guess David Lachapelle would be good (even though he's not my fav. ...) but I don't want the grand'ma to look like Amanda Lepore...

grand ma' is drinking champain in a shop, a cig' in her mouth... the dog is pooping on the Chanel store carpet... the grand daughter is pretty shy in the background with mean shopwomen...
GrandMa' with a cell phone while driving her big Rolls Royce... the girl is very scared...

etc.

the shopping is coming...

actually the result for the grand ma' is pretty disappointing... the result for the grand daughter is ok...
i thought the shopping would be better... but not really... the idea is, IMO, funny... but maybe i'll have to wait for more stuff and not only a MJ Tribute...

here is the result of my shopping -i just took outfits from MJ SS08 collection, so all the Hermes etc. is not there... :
pics from style.com, edited by me...

the grand daughter

the grand mother

i LOVE this thread...

do you know what would be great?...
to see our ideas for a story that was about ourselves....
kind of like a self-portrait story....
it could be you today....or you as a child....or the evolution of you- how you became to be who you are....the way you see yourself....the environment you're in etc...

or it could even be an idealised version of yourself...
sort of looking forward....who you want to be....
what you hope your life will look like in 10 yrs, for example...
or even looking backwards- the way you see things now...in retrospect...

dont you think that would be cool?...
you could pick a model you identify with...someone you think is very YOU...
and then tell the story of your life....using the clothes, hair & makeup, surroundings etc that really speak to you and that you feel express who you are...

Well, something tells me that I will be directed to a different thread than this to get an answer for my question, but nevertheless, here it goes...

So, how are these ideas interpreted in a shoot?

Does the stylist think of the story and explains it to the photographer? Does the stylist choose the photographer? Does the photographer sometimes get the idea and asks for a stylist to get him the outfits? How is it done??? Who is the director? Does it work like in film production???

Because someone may have the most amazing idea in their minds but not the right photographer to materialise it... no?

Please excuse my ignorance and "primitive" question, but where I live, fashion-shoots are still in a very primitive stage....

^I think I have the same questions myself.
Softgrey, Bette, anyone?. :unsure:

I do know the art director has a major play on this.. is he/she the one that comes up with the idea?, and then the photographer and stylist mold it around their own aesthetic but respecting each other's?. :ninja:

^yeah that's pretty this... though a professional may give better views...
but yes the magazine (editor-in-chief ...-in-chief...) gives the theme, regarding the trends/moods etc. of the season (or the moods that sticks to the magazine image), the "must-have" labels etc. and then the photog' and stylist meet for talk... they both give their ideas about it... stylist tells about his/her shopping etc. and then come the make-up and hair artist-stylist...

sometimes the photog' has the last words...:innocent: with the editor-in-chief about what's gonna be priinted...

^ah thanks.
I guess those who are not very involved in the theme's creation are the ones that ultimately get most of the praise, non?. those being the model and the photographer.. they usually get all the credits.. and certainly reach recognition first. :ninja:
I also see a lot of teams (stylist+photographer) that rarely change.. like thomas schenk and joanne blades.. or oliver rizzo and vanderperre, I remember having many questions about that kind of teamwork that could seem more like a package for publications, one of them was the limits or freedom you get when you work like that.. is it better knowing the other person's strengths and weaknesses and working on them.. or can it just limit your work when you're depending on someone's aesthetic the whole time and focused completely on one line when things could be more... 'fickle' with somebody else.. for better or for worse.. ?.
I hope I don't sound too random. :argg:. I had a 'fashion' conversation with my uncle, who's a photographer, last night and he certainly peeked my curiousity on a lot of things that he didn't even mention haha.. I think my mind wandered off a little too much that I could now be developing hostility towards very time-sensitive magazines :wacko::lol:... weekly publications mainly but also some monthly ones that are screaming for long-term care before being thrown out at the newsstands.

ok just coming back from the trends thread... and having the start of a simple idea with transparency trend...
in the forest (yes i like editorials in nature... and i pretty hate studio... it's too hard for me to create a story in a studio!)

for this story I esp. think to an old story published in Jalouse with Jade Parfitt... (if i find a picture back - i doubt - i'll scan it...)

i thought of a brunette, first... but maybe a red-haired is better, non? it would give a certain old cliché witch touch...
I first wanted to say I would sthg à la Lucy Ewing... but if i once post my story it won't be the same, i guess :wink:....

of course the photog à la B.Alexander Huseby meets Sarah Moon is good... but i would like sthg to clash... but is it a "must"??? NOOO...

Alek, Lily and the 5 Senses

Alek, Lily and the 5 Senses

Creative Director: SHSH
Publication: French Vogue
Photographer: Karl Lagerfeld (inspired by his black and white artistry)

so French Colonial meets lush arab tents, sisha/hookah smoke! In the middle of supposed poverty is an oasis of opulence and couture!

Story: Curious and chic Nomadic Girls who seeks out intense pleasure of the senses so think smell, taste, touch, sight, music inspired

Makeup artist: Pat McGrath (London) theatrical yet minimal/tastefull/commercial exotic makeup, think tangerine/apricot, intense purples, electric blues, Lily coles hair to be tassled down large with volume in a kind of unkept style while alek rocks her natural hair and more vibrant makeup

Models: Strong looks, Alek Wek in the day and Lily Cole (both from london) at night for contrast against their amazing skin tones

41--uyvG9OL._AA240_.jpg
svCOLE_narrowweb__300x494,0.jpg

Clothes: A great variety of avant garde/slightly ethnic Couture Dresses with accessories from Lanvin/Chanel/ChristianLouboutin

00090m.jpg
img-thing

Page 1 &2 for Smell on the first double page its daytime: Alek Wek who is wearing John Galliano couture with her eyes closed and using her amazing smile and a look that emphasise the fact shes smelling, insence sticks candles/arab oud burning pots around. then Lily Cole similar eyes closed in a locked perfume factory at night wearing the Dior couture from Printemps 2007

Page 3&4 for Sight/vanity first double page is lily at night in a cave staring with her trademark end of catwalk pout into a grand morrocan blue mirror wearing oscar de la renta with a vintage gold clutch, Then Alek wek wearing/advertising the 24 carat facial with a slightly shoked expression looking in the camera whilst posing with her Oscar de la renta

Page 5&6 for sound/hearing this i believe Vivienne Westwood rebel couture perfect for, alek wek in a westwood gown watching punky classical arab/african musicians then lily cole at night with one of those musicians whispering in her ear in an intimate scene with heels on on arabian pillow style bed

Page 7&8 for taste/gluttony Lily Cole with chocolate strawberrys laying upside down to the camera in Manish Arora on sand. Alek wek squats down in a colourful Manish Arora gown selling vibrant coloured sands disguised as exotic spices with a naughty look on her face!

Page 9&10 for touch now alek wek is with the classical arab/african musician and their back are against each other and they are wearing and both touching the intricate beading of the chanel cotoure wedding dress Lily Cole wore chanel 06 something more new though (nice and funny twist to the ending). While Lily is wearing chanel couture she is engrossed in feeling her chinchilla coat and lanvin/chanel pearls

ignore my spelling/grammar, the length, inarticulations!
thanx

SHSH what think you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saucednoods
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->