Favourite Top African and Black Models

sepia said:
Gail O'Neill was a top model in the '80s. Did a lot of Vogue, etc. I love her hair! :heart:

Plus, she made at least a million at year by 1990. Specializing in print(ads,mags & catalogs), although I saw her on the runway a bit. She worked in the 90s, up until 1996 notably. Actually the photo you posted is from 1996 Elle US! She had a very nice career for 10 years.
Lil'Flip, she very much deserved to be in the photo. VERONICA WEBB is the one that realy should've been there. Not only there but among the top of the list, along with Bev J,Iman,Naomi & Gail. For whatever reason she wasn't there. Unlike Donyale, she is very much alive and it was stupid that she wasn't there. Beverly Peele wouldn't have hurt either, but Veronica is apart of the turning point for blackmodels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lana O should've been there! Also Kiara could've been too.
Lana for Banana Republic(2000) scanned by me from In Style magazine.
copyof94289scan00415vz.jpg

Where was Roshumba Williams(1989)?! Photo Credit:Bensimon
copyoftreshautecouturemeghando.jpg

How about Georgina Roberts(1996),too?! Photo Source:collectionsdepubs
georgiannarobertson19967dl.jpg

Another, Louise Vyent(1989). They could've done better with casting who ever was in charge, whether it was Vanity Fair, Iman or the photographer. Photo Credit:Victoria Hess
copyoflou898nh.jpg

Androgeny at it's best, Sabastian(1989) was a well worked print girl in the late 80s & early 90s, especially for Elle. Photo Credit:Bensimon
copyofthepuristssebastianelleu.jpg

The biggest upset in the VF photo for the missing girls, VERONICA WEBB(1988). Photo Source:bwgreyscale
veronicawebb19885wv.jpg

Always in, Naomi Campbell(1991). Photo Credit:Ellen Von Unwerth
scan01290ax.jpg

Tyra did a supermodel group shot for the 40th anniversary of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Magazine...There was another black model, who was she? Can someone post the pics please?

OMIFAN9 said:
Peggy was hot, just as big as the two(Bev & Iman) maybe even bigger. She had Cosmo,Mademoiselle, and Vogue covers in the US. Naomi Sims worked until the early 70s when she retired. Honorable Mentions:Alvin Chinn, Dana Dixon, Pat Cleveland, Sheila Anderson, Toukie Smith.

I had know idea about Shari Belafonte until recently either. She looks just like her father. :lol:

Thanks for the Georgianna pic. Never seen it. :flower:

OMIFAN9 said:
Plus, she made at least a million at year by 1990. Specializing in print(ads,mags & catalogs), although I saw her on the runway a bit. She worked in the 90s, up until 1996 notably. Actually the photo you posted is from 1996 Elle US! She had a very nice career for 10 years.
Lil'Flip, she very much deserved to be in the photo. VERONICA WEBB is the one that realy should've been there. Not only there but among the top of the list, along with Bev J,Iman,Naomi & Gail. For whatever reason she wasn't there. Unlike Donyale, she is very much alive and it was stupid that she wasn't there. Beverly Peele wouldn't have hurt either, but Veronica is apart of the turning point for blackmodels.

I bet there were scheduling conflicts or something. Essence or another mag should do a big feature on all of them. :innocent:

I never heard of these top black supermodels before. I only knew the first name models Beverly J, Beverly P, Tyra B, Naomi C, Naomi S, Donyale L, Liya K, Iman, Noemie L, Alek W, Oluchi, etc..

Lil_Flip246 said:
I never heard of these top black supermodels before.
Well just because they are someones favorite model, it doesnt mean that they are a super.

sepia said:
I had know idea about Shari Belafonte until recently either. She looks just like her father. :lol:

Thanks for the Georgianna pic. Never seen it. :flower:

No prob, that's what I like to do introduce if I can:P. Same with Sebastian wasn't my cup of tea but she was popular for a moment. And is worthy of mentioning here. And Lil'Flip I bet you haven't heard of alot of models, but they exist and many were top girls.

sepia said:
I bet there were scheduling conflicts or something. Essence or another mag should do a big feature on all of them. :innocent:

Maybe but IMO if you're going to do something do it right. It makes no sense that many girls were left out of the VF than, Essence really didn't do any better with the group from 2005:doh:! Especially when 90% of the girls choosen don't eclipse someone like Veronica Webb and even someone like Lana(with the exception of Naomi,Iman & Beverly).

Last edited by a moderator:
forgot to add that the model above is called eva ndachi does anyone know what agency she is with in new york?

Almost a mirror image, Naomi Campbell & Stephanie Roberts(1992 or 93) for Vogue Italia. Photo Credit:Unwerth
copyof67722scan00642mu.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->