Fendi To Rescue Crumbling Trevi Fountain

Egoiste

Reaction score
Luxury fashion will meet Roman architecture as Italian fashion house Fendi has pledged €2.1 million to restore five of Rome’s beloved fountains, including the iconic Trevi Fountain.
Fendi, founded in Rome in the 1920s, is now part of French luxury giant LVMH. The fashion house opted to invest in restoring one of Rome’s architectural treasures due to a self-described “deep bond with the Eternal City.”
“We are proud of being tied to the city, but I believe not everyone knows, and this is a great occasion to do something for the city that hosts us,” Fendi CEO Pietro Beccari told WWD. “Rome is a home of Made in Italy. There’s an incredible savoir faire, but as well it’s a source of inspiration for many.”
The Trevi Fountain was last restored in 1989 by skilled artisans who repaired signs of deterioration and scrubbed the stonework.
Last June, large chunks of stonework crumbled from the left-hand side of the Trevi Fountain after being weakened by harsh weather last winter. Additional pieces of cornice were also removed due to a fear they could cause further collapse.
Fendi responded to a private funding plea to restore the fountain by Rome’s Mayor, Gianni Alemanno, who acknowledged their extensive contribution.
“The restoration of the Trevi Fountain, one of the most known roman monument in the World, shows the importance of cooperation between public and private support and how the best roman brands, such as Fendi, are involved in bringing back the historic center of Rome to its original shine,” he said.
Fendi creative director Karl Lagerfeld said the fountain stands as a symbol of Rome along with the Colosseum and St Peter’s Basilica.
The elaborate baroque statues of the Trevi Fountain will be thoroughly cleaned through the restoration with new waterproofing installed and the strength of the steel supports to be checked.
Fendi will also contribute an additional €320,000 to cover all of the Le Quattro Fontane (Four Fountains), which are located at the intersection of Via delle Quattro Fontane and Via del Quirinale in Rome.
The proposed project will be titled “Fendi for Fountains” and will take place over four years so as not to prevent tourists from visiting the celebrated landmark.
Upon completion, a plaque noting Fendi’s contribution will be placed on the fountain and the 2015 completion date is hoped to also align with Fendi’s fashion show to be staged in front of the fountain to celebrate the fashion house’s 90th anniversary.
-designbuildsource.com.au
Really excited about show in 2015 ! :woot::heart:

I can't imagine how the city allowed something as iconic (and a HUGE tourist draw) come to a point where private donors are needed to fund restoration. It's really a pity.

^I agree, it is a shame that the city had to rely on private funds to restore these fountains. Unfortunately art isn't always given the same treatment/budget as other aspects of government funds. But on the upside, at least the four fountains are getting repaired, it would be awful if they had become even worse for wear. The fountains, especially Trevi fountain, are iconic. Personally, I have fond memories of the place, of course it's quite touristy, but who doesn't want to throw a coin into the fountain? So while it's definitely a bit of a publicity thing for Fendi I still think in this case it was the right thing to do.

LVMH are really not playing around, huh?

they'll want their name on the Eiffel Tower next :lol:

^I agree, it is a shame that the city had to rely on private funds to restore these fountains. Unfortunately art isn't always given the same treatment/budget as other aspects of government funds. But on the upside, at least the four fountains are getting repaired, it would be awful if they had become even worse for wear. The fountains, especially Trevi fountain, are iconic. Personally, I have fond memories of the place, of course it's quite touristy, but who doesn't want to throw a coin into the fountain? So while it's definitely a bit of a publicity thing for Fendi I still think in this case it was the right thing to do.

I don't think this is the neglect of art specifically as much as Italy not doing so well economically in general, though.

I think a few other things including the Colosseum also had restorations paid for privately. It's unfortunate that it's come to this, but I do think it's good that there are people willing to pay to protect culture.

glad Fendi is doing this ... so long as the plaque isn't 10 ft tall with a logo the same size ...

I can't imagine how the city allowed something as iconic (and a HUGE tourist draw) come to a point where private donors are needed to fund restoration. It's really a pity.

It doesn't surprise me after my tour guide told me that the Palace of Versailles relies on private donations for it's upkeep. Most of them are American. I said why don't the rich French people help. Tour operator said they don't care. I don't think that's completely true though.

^ they care, just not enough to pony up.

part of it may be that some of them have their own ancient properties to keep up ... not such an issue here. but we know better than to wait for our government to step up & do the right thing ... it's not exactly progressive here.

Agreed on both points. I'm glad someone is stopping the decay because it's very sad that it's in such a state of disrepair, but now I have a huge fear that the Fendi logo will be emblazoned upon the fountain somewhere.
glad Fendi is doing this ... so long as the plaque isn't 10 ft tall with a logo the same size ...

^ Maybe they'll change Posiedon's face into Karl's. :lol:

^ hopefully no baguettes will be worked into the 'restoration' ... if anyone starts to refer to it as fendi fountain, i'd take that as a bad (i typed 'bag'--am i succumbing already??) sign.

:shock:

Karl...Karl, is that you?
tumblr_mj00tsWHYN1qbk3ppo1_500.png

starrydivisions.tumblr.com
^ Maybe they'll change Posiedon's face into Karl's. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebbbbty
Back