finding what 'works' for you

*mette-marit*

Reaction score
I have hear things described as just 'working' for someone.....I really have troubleknowing what suits me, and what is the best way to hide certain points, and emphasize others. Is it something you just have to do by trial and error?

Trial and error, for sure!

But...you say you are having trouble with knowing what "works"...maybe it's just me misunderstanding the way you said it, but I am wondering (and I hope I don't come across the wrong way)....

...assuming that there ARE times when you look great (and I'm sure there are MANY of these occasions!), were you AWARE that you look great? Did you recognize the fact that you did look good? :flower:

It's one thing not to know WHY you look good and it's another thing to just plain NOT KNOW that you look good. Which category do you fall into?

Also, you may find this "determing your personal style" thread helpful.
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f58/determining-your-personal-style-40438.html?highlight=determining+personal+style

Starts of with 'what fits' wich is a big step...:rolleyes:

Trial and error is the best way. Also ask someone who you know to be honest what they think and any suggestions they have. If you see a picture of a look that you feel 'works', try to analyse why it works for them and how it would or would not work for you. Try things on in different combinations or try something you think may not 'work' and see if it does or how it could be changed to work better. It's fun to keep trying - enjoy it!

But it is confusing! To be honest, I don't think i have a particulary good eye for this sort of thing. So i would def. need a lot of help. oh well. thanks everyone!

figure out what shape your body is, then try to bring attention to the part you want to show off and go as plain as you can on the part you try to hide

I agree that finding what really fits is the first step. For me this has always been about lengths. Maybe you can take a few different tops out and put them on, which one falls at the best point that flatters your overall shape? I'm sure there are pointers out there in books and such for people who aren't really perceptive about it. Maybe you could read some books, like The Pocket Stylist, or something to that nature.

Comfort is a big guide for me. If you're not physically comfortable in a cut, then it isn't for you. I have to make sure things are long enough, and not too tight in certain places.

Colors help too. I love black in general, but I find that black tops really minimize my chest. It's amazing, because with a black top I look pretty flat, but if I put a white top on, I look like Pamela Anderson. :ninja: Just play with dark versus light for a while, it's pretty easy to do. But always remember to look proportionate. If you're trying to minimize/maximize one part of your body, then also be mindful of how other areas react to this. Find a good balance.

It helps to recognize your best feature, or the one you want to focus on, and move toward accentuating that. For example, I like to highlight my neck and collarbone, this led me toward scoop neck t-shirts instead of crew-necks, strapless dresses for summer, high collar coats that accentuate the length of my neck for winter, things like that. I found that when I started focusing on one thing other things occurred to me. The strapless dress garnered many compliments and I wasn't sure why, so I really looked at it, it was mid calf with a simple pattern and an a-line skirt. I realized that it made me look taller (I'm 5' 2") and that the pattern was simple enough not to ovewhelm my small size. It all kind of builds on something else for me, so don't let yourself get overwhelmed with trying to figure it out all at once :smile:

When I get lots of compliments on a piece, I assume that it's "me". So far, I get the most compliments when I:
-wear yellow
-wear clothes that accentuate my waist
-wear eyeliner

It took me a while to realize that emphasizing my waist makes me look more womanly and less like a potato, and it took me less time to realize that eyeliner bring out my "cat eyes".

Basically I experimented a lot, took what I found most comfortable, what pleased myself, what pleased my boyfriend, and what my girlfriends raved about, and that's what I wear now. It's still in progress...

And I learned to ignore trends that don't suit me. I'm basically never comfortable showing cleavage or going without support, so that rules out halters, low-cut shirts, and clothes I can't wear a bra with.

good luck mette marit! it also helps to have a friend with a good eye. One of my friends, she is my hero whenever we go shopping together. Sees things I'm not even aware of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacur368
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->