Flight Attendant Uniforms : Then and Now

borjacappella and bubbles1234 please credit your pictures or they will have to be removed.. :flower:

I know there are other pictures in this thread that do not have credits, but they were posted before the crediting rule was enforced.

Pierre Balmain designed the uniforms for Singapore Airlines in the '60s. I can't find pictures of the originals, but the modern uniforms remain true to the style of sarong he adapted:

singapore.jpg

2000: Singapore Airlines knows better than to tinker with a formula that works: the company hasn't changed its flight attendant uniform in more than three decades. The airline is known for (and shamelessly plugs) its beautiful, sarong-clad "Singapore Girls." The trademark "Sarong Kebaya" was first whipped up by French designer Pierre Balmain
time.com

I also hit a goldmine upon finding the picture above, in the form of Time magazine's 100 Years of Flight feature. Here were the others in the gallery, with their captions:

1940s.jpg

1940s: With the world at war, airline uniforms had a decidedly military bearing. But crisp pleats and good posture weren't enough: warm smiles were also considered part of the job. Chicago & Southern's flight attendants were trained to reflect the hospitality of their airline's southern roots

pucci.jpg

1965: Emilio Pucci creates the "Gemini 4" line for Braniff Air. The uniforms feature astronaut-like bubble helmets, which, according to flight attendants, were "very difficult to hear in." They did, however, provide complete hair protection on windy days

united.jpg

1968: United Airlines introduces an A-line dress for its stewardesses — a marked departure from the ubiquitous skirt-suit that ruled the more conservative airlines for 30 years

1970s.jpg

1970s: Southwest Airlines experiences a dramatic jump in ticket sales when its flight attendants start wearing white go-go boots and hot pants. The airline adopts a new motto to match ("Sex sells seats") and begins serving in-flight drinks with names like Passion Punch and Love Potion. Not to be outdone, TWA follows suit in 1971, sending its attendants into the air wearing Valentino-designed hot pants

quant.jpg

1970s: Same decade, different direction. Designer Mary Quant gives Court Line Aviation flight attendants the radical option of covering their legs. In addition to long pants, Quant's line includes double-breasted overcoats and aprons for prepping meals
time.com

^That bubble astronaut helmet is SO SO ridiculous....for windy days?? And the Valentino hotpants with GO-GO boots....wow...that's like hooters in the air.

so_jealous said:
^That bubble astronaut helmet is SO SO ridiculous....for windy days?? And the Valentino hotpants with GO-GO boots....wow...that's like hooters in the air.

Actually ... I quite like both :P:blush:
-tho the hotpants on the pic, I think theyre not Valentino- ...

Both Christian Dior and Calvin Klein have designed uniforms for Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS). :smile:

I love the hotpants, though I do find it to be very degrading. I adore the Pucci bubble, it's so insane, you just have to appreciate it.

the pucci uniforms were so adorable! i could wear them :lol:

i really like mary quant's uniforms...nothing overt like the hot pants and go-go s..i think the hotpants are just a little ridculous

I'd rather wear something like this than the normal uniforms (if I'd work in the indrusty, that is).

I know this is a little off topic but someone said HOOTERS in the air and there was actually a HOOTERS airlines for a while some years ago.

Gianfranco Ferre designed Korean Air's new uniform last year.. :flower:

11755661_a54be5c3e1_m.jpg

55.gif

New_uniform_red.gif

The Christian Lacroix ones are nice. Very basic, but I guess that's how airline uniforms are supposed to be.
On the other hand, I'm not sure I like the Gianfranco Ferre designs. Looks too much like an airline uniform...and I really don't like those colors.

How much does it cost the airlines to use these designer names? I would think that with the financial state most of them are in right now, designer clothing should be the first thing to go.

Macario Jimenez (mexican famous designer) did aeromexico´s uniforms, but I cant find the pictures online, would love to see them, can anybody help??

^I've actually seen the Korean Air uniforms in person (b/c I went to Korea..not knowing they were specially designed) They are quite stylish compared to all the other N. American airlines but I didn't really like the color combo too much.

I love this thread! Not to date myself, but I actually was hired to wear one of the Braniff uniforms but by that time they'd changed them some.It was the last year if I remember correctly. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waffleninja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->