French Electronica

Recommend Some French Music

Can anyone recommend some good French songs, particularly "contemporary" (aka pop-rock-alternative) ones? I'm not too fond of "slow" songs and such. There are a lot that I've found and like for Spanish (Latin music) but as far as French goes, I have yet to discover them. Merci. :smile:

french pop/rock is uber-cheesy- why not try Charlotte Gainsbourg's 5:55- breathy and melodic...and oh so french..

^ I admit, so is Spanish, particularly when translated to English is...usually REALLY cheesy...but I got hooked, lol! :P Definitely not "teenage" or "bubblegum pop" kind of stuff though. :smile: As for Charlotte Gainsbourg, I've listened to her music way before (including "5:55" of course) and I didn't like it at all. Not my type. :smile: A lot of the "contemporary" French songs I've heard are kinda similar in the sense that...I don't know, it's just sort of different from English/Spanish/etc. songs. It's usually not my type. :(

Hopefully I find some artists/songs that fit my taste more. Maybe the French language/culture just isn't "like that"? Which is a shame cause I'm learning the language right now (several hours/times a week) and I was hoping that through music that I actually liked, it could help me. Maybe I should have taken Espanol! :P Hopefully someone could prove me wrong with some music. :smile:

[SIZE=-1]Noir Désir :heart: French pop fused with a little L.A. punk, to provide an idea.
[/SIZE]

All the French music I have come across, has led me to believe that French music is like English food, American politics, Australian manners, Italian fashion, Iraqi law and order, Spanish holidays, Swiss passion... not to my taste.

As for "electronica"--SebastiAn and Kavinsky I believe are French. Check out the French-based half Japanese label "Kitsune" for some music, but most of the stuff on there is sung in English. :?
Gangpol und Mit are certainly French... but most of their songs are in Japanese and English with French titles, haha.
Happy to see Vive La Fete and JUSTICE recommended. :P

Keren Ann and Emilie Simon are pretty ok for contemporary not-too-electronic music.

Eh... for faster French pop/rock -- Jacques Dutronc? Hahaha. not modern but either way he is supercool. Stereototal and Stereolab sing in French sometimes... uh, I'm pretty sure stereototal are french and the lead singer of the groop (stereolab) is french-english. Paris Combo...uh, not really rock, but pop and fast. m'eh. I just like francophone music and decent electronic house music, which more than a couple of French bands are putting out there. :]

The french music scene

What do you think of these artists?

Benjamin Biolay, Trash Yéyé
51iREDTE5dL._AA240_.jpg

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ5Yc1VPBu8

Raphaël Haroche, Je Sais Que La Terre Est Plate
41oZrTMbT6L._AA240_.jpg

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=k_7CG4twSHQ

and of course Vanessa Paradis!! Divinidylle
41cNZr7gBzL._AA240_.jpg

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=2PpOO50thVY
all photos credit : amazon.fr

I love all these new releasese even if imo, nothing will either beat Raphael's previous album (Caravane) ! Any other good french artists to share?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->