from Runway to Retail (who is in charge)

caryanne

Reaction score
I was wondering who makes the adjustments from runway to retail and who has the most control? Is it the designers or is it someone elses job? Also do certain brands make the adjusments better, if so who? Please post ics if you have any!!!

found some examples on ebay

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 68_1_sbl.JPG
    68_1_sbl.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 4
  • c7_1_sbl.JPG
    c7_1_sbl.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 4
I'm curious about this too, I've especially seen so many adjustements in shoes. I think the balenciaga dress was produced just like it is on the runway, the yoox picture is just another version of it.

i found more examples in case those were fakes, from luisaviaroma and style.com

alexander mcqueen the fabric looks different and the bust is way lower on the runway and lanvin the fabric looks shinier on the runway but could just look more matte in black and the dress is longer on the runway

Attachments

• 00390m.jpg
    00390m.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 0043.JPG
    0043.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 00450m.jpg
    00450m.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 0055.jpg
    0055.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 85
I don't know because I thought LVR sells no fakes and I keep thinking they are the same dress. Perhaps my eyes are playing tricks?

oh augustus sorry if i confused you the ebay items could be fakes but the lvr items are real, I was just noting the slight differences between the runway version and retail version

Often the designers will offer a garment in the showroom that was on the runway but in a different fabric. That's a matter of choice on the buyer's part. And then I agree with what guessgirl said as well.

yeah-sometimes buyers with a certain ammount of power (meaning $$ to spend) can ask for certain variations which are exclusive to their store...

for example-
i have a pair of prada sandals that were only made for barney's ny...
even the prada stores didn't carry it...
*it's sort of an exclusive...
an incentive to buy more and/or a payback for buying a lot...

I found an interesting article about this subject here: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Clothes Articles/Runway Reality Check.htm

here are some of the most ineresting tidbits:

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]In fact, designer shoppers may find the fashions available in department stores to be noticeable different from what was shown in Milan and New Your. That’s because only a certain percentage of any designer’s runway collection is bought by retailer, colors and details are often changed from the original runway look, and many basic items carrying a designer’s label are never showcased on a runway at all. What’s more, some eye-catching runway pieces are never produced because hey were created strictly for show and never intended for retail customers.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]More often than not, however, stores write up orders with a majority of pieces that are not taken directly from a runway. “Everything is custom-made from these collections,” said Kalenderian. “The one-and-only permutation of the look on the runway is not the only way to do it. The runway show is really an abridged edition of what the designer is offering.” That means colors can be changed, different fabrics chosen from sample swatches, pleats eliminated, buttons added or taken away, and lapels notched or peaked. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Ralph Lauren has been known to tweak certain runway looks before they hit the selling floor of the Rhinelander mansion. For example, a natty, three-piece, pinstripe suit from the fall ’02 runway show was only sold in a two-piece version at retail, while a crinkled leather trench coat from the spring ’03 show turned up in a smooth version. Similarly, at Gucci a spokeswoman noted that while what is shown on the runway is always realized for retail, occasionally slight alterations are taken to render pieces more wearable. In the spring ’03 collection a pair of high-waisted pants were manufactured with a lower waist for retail. [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaykaystake
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->