Gabriela Hearst - Designer

Benn98

Reaction score
LVMH Takes Minority Stake in Gabriela Hearst

The investment in the nascent New York-based label was made by the conglomerate's venture arm.

BY LAUREN SHERMANJANUARY 14, 2019 13:18

NEW YORK, United States — LVMH Luxury Ventures, an investment arm of the multinational conglomerate, has taken a minority stake in New York-based luxury label Gabriela Hearst. The terms of the deal were not disclosed, although LVMH Luxury Ventures typically invests between €2 and €15 million per deal.

Hearst, who ran contemporary-priced label Candela for more than a decade before launching her namesake luxury brand in 2015, has briskly built a ready-to-wear business based on sharply tailored silhouettes rendered in ultra-expensive fabrics, with a focus on sustainably sourced materials. In 2018, just three years after she launched her label, the collection — which also includes a robust handbag business, mostly sold direct-to-consumer — generated between $15 and $20 million in sales revenue, according to sources familiar with the company. In September 2018, the designer hired former Bottega Veneta Americas president Giuseppe Giovannetti as chief executive.

Before the opening of her first retail store in November, Hearst told BoF that she would only be open to investment if it was from a strategic partner. “I like our independence,” she said. “I like having our choice and not being pressured by a stock market or a private equity return on investment. It would have to be was something strategic that we could learn from, something more.”

Launched in 2017, LVMH Luxury Ventures invests in emerging labels that have already shown an ability to scale. (Previous investments have included French apothecary brand Officine Universelle Buly and sneaker resale shop Stadium Goods, which was subsequently acquired by Farfetch for $250 million in December 2018.) The company uses the phrase “already iconic” to describe its targets.

To be sure, Hearst — who is married to Austin Hearst, an heir to the media empire — has worked hard to ensure her label fits that description. The designer, raised in Uruguay on her family’s cattle ranch, has applied rigor not only to her brand-building process, creating signature stitching and hardware as early as the first season, but also in the way she sources material and approaches sales. A trumpeter of “honest luxury,” she has made sustainability a significant part of her message, touting transparency around the provenance of her materials and the process by which her goods are made. (She has even sourced wool from her family ranch.)

In 2016, she won the International Woolmark Prize. She has also been careful about distribution, limiting the availability of her popular handbags, in particular, the “Nina” bag, an origami-inspired mini-satchel beloved by the likes of Apple designer Jony Ive. About half of her business was direct-to-consumer before the November opening of her first-ever store, adjacent to the Carlyle Hotel on the Upper East Side. The flagship boutique is the only physical place in the world where Gabriela Hearst handbags are available to purchase.

Hearst’s skilful women’s suiting — a notoriously difficult category to crack for emerging designers — has also helped to earn her a fast following. Her elongated trousers and jackets in sumptuous fabrics have, for some retailers, helped to replace the gap left by former Céline designer Phoebe Philo, whose pants were a go-to for fashion-conscious women. Industry heavyweights like MatchesFashion founder Ruth Chapman can often be found wearing one of Hearst’s sets. Hearst’s sleek evening wear also regular appears on red carpets, while Duchess of Sussex Meghan Markle is often seen carrying that famous “Nina” bag.

While the designer could not be immediately reached for comment regarding what she plans to do with the investment, scaling up physical retail would be a logical next step. Hearst has already at least dipped a toe in virtually every product category — including jewellery and home goods. Opening more physical stores would allow consumers to touch and feel the product, which is more impressive in person.

Regardless on the outcome, news of the investment could have an overall positive effect on the American fashion industry, which has struggled in recent years to establish US-based luxury brands that can compete with its European counterparts in terms of positioning, quality and retail distribution. It’s also certainly just the beginning of what will likely be a busy year for luxury mergers, acquisitions and investments.

Business of Fashion.com

Gabriela Hearst Is Launching Menswear—With the Help of One Exceptionally Well-Dressed Guy

MAY 17, 2019 2:00 PM
by NICOLE PHELPS

• Gabriela Hearst, “is that I’m a woman designing for women; I understand our psychology.” Today, after a year and a half of development, Hearst is launching menswear, where the same formula doesn’t apply—even if the collections will share fabrications and rack space at her Madison Avenue store. So, how does Hearst plan to retain her edge? “Men are a whole other species,” she laughs. “I couldn’t do it without having feedback from a guy.” But not just any guy: Hearst enlisted the help of her friend, the graphic designer Peter Miles. He’s an Englishman whose reputation for exactitude extends to his wardrobe; he’s been having his suits tailored to his personal specifications since 1993.

The duo began working together when Hearst asked Miles to design the logo for her eponymous brand and wouldn’t take no for an answer, circa 2015. They had bonded a year earlier, during the 2014 World Cup, when Uruguay (Hearst’s team) played England (Miles’s team) and Uruguay won. “Before launching GH, I met with everyone you can imagine, all the different agencies,” Hearst says. “I called him and he picked up the phone—Peter himself, not a secretary. He was too busy to work with me—he didn’t have the time. But I’m persistent.” (Some of Miles’s other clients have included Marc Jacobs and Céline.) What started with just Hearst’s logo eventually evolved into her first brand book. Now, she says, “Peter’s somebody I’m always checking everything with.”

The menswear collaboration wouldn’t have gelled if Hearst didn’t admire Miles’s personal style, of course. “Peter has a casualness about him, but at the same time there’s a sharpness. He has particular ideas of how things should fit on a man, but it’s absolutely relaxed. It doesn’t look over-thought.”
Vogue

upload_2019-5-20_9-14-50.png upload_2019-5-20_9-14-57.png

Now, I understand why the clothes look like they look xd

Chloé Designer Gabriela Hearst on Witches, Chocolate and Creativity

Before her fashion shows in New York and Paris, Ms. Hearst, a self-described witch, sat down to talk everything from mezcal and acupuncture to her short-lived modeling and acting careers

By Marshall Heyman
March 4, 2022 9:00 am ET

GABRIELA HEARST might be the only ready-to-wear designer who studies fusion and clean energy in her spare time. That is, when she has spare time.

The Uruguay-born Ms. Hearst, 45, juggles heading up her New York-based eponymous line, which she founded in 2015, and her role as the creative director of Paris brand Chloé, which she took on in 2020. (Her fall 2022 collection for that brand debuted on March 3.) Ms. Hearst’s dual gigs require frequent travel between Paris and New York—sometimes twice a month. To cope, she has learned to get work done whenever (and wherever) she has a free moment. She sketches collections on trans-Atlantic flights.

“It’s like the life of an athlete, but I sleep eight hours a night. I have an Oura Ring,” Ms. Hearst said, referring to the trendy sleep tracker. “Everything in my life is about my passion, my mission and my family. I don’t have too many fun nights. Maybe four of those a year, maximum.”

Those rare evenings will “for sure” include good food. “I’m Latin, and you cannot come to a place where the food is no good.” Also, mezcal and “amazing friends with unpretentious vibes.”

Just a few days before her signature brand’s New York runway show in February, Ms. Hearst, dressed casually in a beanie of her own design, logged on to Zoom to discuss her love of jewelry, country music and her many “witchy” proclivities.

im-494887

One of Ms. Hearst’s expressive notebooks.
Photo: Tess Ayano for The Wall Street Journal
I consider myself: a witch. I’m the daughter of one. I don’t do spells, but I have a wish list. Some people call it visualization. I’ve used wish lists for years. I get a lot of what I want. I put things out there with my magic and hope people around can make it happen, too.

If I’m going to drink alcohol: it’s going to be mezcal. I like Ilegal and Agua Mágica. I love it when they’re a little aged and have that golden flavor. It’s the drink of witches, if you ask me.

I just read: “The Ministry for the Future” [about climate change]. It’s science fiction, but I would call it science prediction....I suffer climate anxiety and I believe fusion energy is a solution for clean energy by 2030. I want to learn everything I can about it.

im-494885

Ms. Hearst often sketches her collections on trans-Atlantic flights. ‘It’s like the life of an athlete, but I sleep eight hours a night.’
Photo: Tess Ayano for The Wall Street Journal
I grew up: on a ranch [in Uruguay]. My mom’s family has been there for 170 years. She still lives there, off the grid. She used to compete in the rodeo. Then she became a taekwondo black belt. Then she was a Zen Buddhist. She defies structures of how powerful women should behave. I admire her, but she’s also embarrassed me. She would pick me up from school in her taekwondo outfit. I spent my teenage years being completely mortified.

I have always preferred: stationery stores to fashion boutiques. As a kid, my favorite time was when the school year started and we had to buy pens and pencils.

I drew: 32 sketches for the new Chloé collection on the plane trip back from Paris. I don’t know if they’re good or bad. I try to keep ego out of the [creativity] equation. I follow where my curiosity drives me.

I take notes: with [Pilot] pens and I sketch with pencils. I don’t like using erasers on the back of pencils so I always have a Caran d’Ache or Faber-Castell eraser. I like classic brands.

I go through: around seven notebooks a month. For Chloé, I use notebooks from Aspinal of London. For Gabriela Hearst, I use small ones by Fashionary. Inside my notebooks, there will be an article about climate change I cut out, a design note, a drawing that I saw or something that I dreamt and notes about fusion energy.

im-496851

From top left: An Oura Ring; Agua Mágica mezcal; Biologique Recherche’s La Grande Crème; dream dinner guest Miles Davis; Kim Stanley Robinson’s ‘cli-fi’ novel ‘The Ministry of the Future; a Pilot Frixion Erasable gel pen; algorithm-free tarot cards.
Photo: Getty Images (Tarot, Davis)
Among my favorite hotels are: the Aman Tokyo, the Bristol in Paris and the Carlyle in New York—the bar is a scene.

I’m obsessed with: cherries and chocolate. Charbonnel et Walker’s dark chocolate [ceri-settes] with cherries and [cherry liqueur] inside are insane. They only sell them in London. They’re for special times of need.

My twin teenage daughters are into: a pinstripe suit I made for the Gabriela Hearst show before Covid. My kids are getting more excited about my closet. I feel like it’s a victory.

One of my coolest garments is: a Manchester United official team Nike shirt that is probably 20 years old.

On walks, I love listening to: country music. Lately I’ve been playing “Sleeping on the Blacktop” by Colter Wall, “Clay Pigeons” by Blaze Foley and music by Ryan Bingham.

Energetically speaking: it’s good to have a stone close to your skin. I [recently] strung ruby beads very simply into a necklace. I like how it feels on my body. I love jewelry. I make these one-ounce rings that have a hidden precious stone. I like things that have secrets.

im-497810

The Aman hotel in Tokyo.
Photo: Aman Tokyo
My weekly regimen includes: Reiki and acupuncture. My acupuncturist tells me I’m like a Formula One car. He has to calibrate me, and then I’m ready.

I was a terrible: model. At 21, I was already too old. I looked very androgynous. I shaved my head, and I liked that people could confuse me with a guy. Modeling taught me rejection. Most of the time you don’t get the gigs.

I was also not a good: actress. I studied acting for two years at the Neighborhood Playhouse in New York. Acting teaches you to be honest, to reach for authenticity all the time. I couldn’t do my job without that training.

I’ve been watching: “Yellowstone.” I understand these people: It’s about ranch life.

I’m a very: impulsive person, so I use the Osho Zen Tarot app to slow myself down. I ask it, Should I post this picture on Instagram? Should I send this email? But is it the universe or the algorithm talking to me? I’m doubtful. I’m going to buy an actual tarot deck instead.

A few years ago, I discovered: the skin-care brand Biologique Recherche, and I’ve stuck with it. I use the Lotion P50 and La Grand Crème. Sometimes I’ll get a facial from Sarah Smith in New York. She’s a master.

My dream dinner party would include: the young Bob Dylan. He was so sexy. And I’d love to have Miles Davis but he wouldn’t come, unless I also invited Jimi Hendrix—[Davis] went to his funeral. I’d make sure the alcohol was good. I think they’d like picking food, tapas style.

—Edited from an interview by Marshall Heyman
wsj.com

Before her fashion shows in New York and Paris, Ms. Hearst, a self-described witch, sat down to talk everything from mezcal and acupuncture to her short-lived modeling and acting careers ”

Praying her fashion career is also short lived.

I don't understand it, at all, but her clothes do very well. Her space at Bergdorf's is probably the third largest on the floor after The Row and Eskandar. And her Chloe has a crazy sell-through.

I'm totally befuddled by it. At least I've heard she's a really nice lady.

Does anyone know how well the Chloe brand actually does under Gabriela Hearst?

Does anyone know how well the Chloe brand actually does under Gabriela Hearst?

I've been told it's been flying off the racks.

I saw it at Bergdorf and thought it looked like the sale rack at Anthropologie, so I find it hard to believe.

I've been told it's been flying off the racks.

I saw it at Bergdorf and thought it looked like the sale rack at Anthropologie, so I find it hard to believe.

ironically they now sell mostly the commercial pieces of N. Ramsey Levi tenure

ironically they now sell mostly the commercial pieces of N. Ramsey Levi tenure
Does anyone know what Natacha Ramsey Levi is doing now? I really liked her vision of Chloe...

Does anyone know what Natacha Ramsey Levi is doing now? I really liked her vision of Chloe...
Living in Ibiza.. she ended six months early and probably had a gardening leave of a year.. so she has probably only been off the Chloe payroll for some months

Regarding Natacha.

She probably laughs to herself whenever she thinks of that poor old attempt-at-a-designer they replaced her with. “How funny life is” she says while she enjoys the sunset.

I don't understand it, at all, but her clothes do very well. Her space at Bergdorf's is probably the third largest on the floor after The Row and Eskandar. And her Chloe has a crazy sell-through.

Makes sense, look at the main audience of The Row and Eskandar - rich older ladies. That's exactly the type of people Gabriela's designs would appeal to.

(this is not a knock on The Row or Eskandar, btw, I have a few pairs of Eskandar pyjamas and the fabric quality is superlative and they are incredibly comfortable - a thing that would naturally appeal to older consumers or anyone who went through body changes during the pandemic)

I do not like her Chloé at all but I can see why it would sell. Who cares that it doesn't look like the youthful label we all knew for 20 years?

Regarding Natacha.

She probably laughs to herself whenever she thinks of that poor old attempt-at-a-designer they replaced her with. “How funny life is” she says while she enjoys the sunset.

What's more, she's taking part in a new project called AT.Kollektive, which seems to be actually interesting from a creative perspective. There's a preview of that small collection and honestly, I can't wait for the full thing to be revealed later this month.

Makes sense, look at the main audience of The Row and Eskandar - rich older ladies. That's exactly the type of people Gabriela's designs would appeal to.

Older customers purchasing The Row and Eskander are buying into the brands for luxurious and wearable fabrics that they don't have to think about. I would put the brand affinity closer to Joseph, Brunello, Max Mara, etc than the current iteration of Chloe. If you see the collection at Bergdorf, it looks strikingly heavy and challenging to wear. The accessories are also completely unremarkable... I was actually walking past them wondering wtf they were they so ugly before I realized it was Chloe lol.

Example, what The Row customer in their right mind would spend $17k for this jacket?

w1370.jpg

https://www.chloe.com/us/coats_cod16118822mb.html

Older customers purchasing The Row and Eskander are buying into the brands for luxurious and wearable fabrics that they don't have to think about. I would put the brand affinity closer to Joseph, Brunello, Max Mara, etc than the current iteration of Chloe. If you see the collection at Bergdorf, it looks strikingly heavy and challenging to wear. The accessories are also completely unremarkable... I was actually walking past them wondering wtf they were they so ugly before I realized it was Chloe lol.

https://www.chloe.com/us/coats_cod16118822mb.html

oh god yikes. That is h i d e o u s (and not even in an interesting way). If the piece+styling manages to make even the model look weirdly proportioned, that's a red flag to potential buyers right there.

But I guess someone is buying them, and I very much doubt any of the GH-era designs appeal to younger consumers on an aesthetic or price level. The obvious conclusion, based on this frumpy sh*t and the decision to ditch See by Chloe, is they are ditching their previous identity as a young women's (even youthful 30somethings with money) label, doesn't make it less painful to see though. Also I'm guessing that, even though it's very expensive, it's not as eye-wateringly expensive as The Row and Eskandar? Admittedly, I haven't checked out the prices - this is just the impression I got from past knowledge of prices. Still awful though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redspot
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->