Garage #1 Fall / Winter 2011

ok i just got the magazine.
first thing: it's huge. it's bigger than purple, let's say it's more or less like V but with 5 times the amount of pages. this is good.
Then. It's as pretentoius as you might imagine, but it works. It really is an interesting publication, maybe not necessarily fashion wise, but overall it's great, it's different. Especially being interested in art it's great. There are a lot of exclusive features on people like marina abramovic and boltanski, plus the contributions from the cover artists (lol the damien hirst tattoo) and more. Nick Knight's ed is incredibly creepy, it's one of my favourite eds of the year. And the thing about the clothes made of fruit/food does actually work. i thought it'd be a mess but it's fun and well done. I'll post the table of contents in a minute

Does anyone know where else it is sold? For now I only heard Colette! Thanks in advance!

ok i just got the magazine.
first thing: it's huge. it's bigger than purple, let's say it's more or less like V but with 5 times the amount of pages. this is good.
Then. It's as pretentoius as you might imagine, but it works. It really is an interesting publication, maybe not necessarily fashion wise, but overall it's great, it's different. Especially being interested in art it's great. There are a lot of exclusive features on people like marina abramovic and boltanski, plus the contributions from the cover artists (lol the damien hirst tattoo) and more. Nick Knight's ed is incredibly creepy, it's one of my favourite eds of the year. And the thing about the clothes made of fruit/food does actually work. i thought it'd be a mess but it's fun and well done. I'll post the table of contents in a minute

sounds fantastic!
thanks so much

the table of contents (once again, this one is truly impossible to scan, every page is actually bigger than my scanner)

Thanks for all the info! I would love to see it. :heart:

Can you tell us more about Nick Knight's editorial?
:flower:

^nick's ed is a 'reconstruction' of dinos chapman's daughter's dollohouse (or so it says in the mag) with lily being the 'doll'. it's very creepy! i really wish there were more infos on the post production cause even if you can cleary tell it's her (at least, the body) she also really looks like a doll. (hands, legs, everything). I wish i knew how they proceeded to do that. i can snap a couple pics of the ed, but it's rather dark im not sure anything good will come out of it. i'll try later

You can order this on Colette's website, but it costs a fortune with the VAT tax.

Is it available in the UK or exclusively at Colette? If so, how much does it cost and where can I find it?

Thanks in advance!

so here's the nick knight ed. these snaps really do him no justice.
the fashion editor is francesca burns

Another interesting feature/ed is a series of sculputers made by the turkish artist pinar yolacan in collaboration with margherita misson (who provided the fabrics) inspired by the anatolian pre-nneolithic mother goddess statues . There's also a feature called 'stalking stefano pilati' that, as a fan, i appreciate dearly. (lol)

garage comp already. . .

http://www.garagemag.com/stops

theyve already got an online presence and competitions going. an art publication with a self-styling fashion competition . . it sounds interesting.

competition involves readers uploading photos of themselves wearing vintage or new pieces from their listed designers and interpreting it in the most creative way possible to win.

thoughts?

There are currently a few issues at Indigo in the Yorkdale mall for anyone in the Toronto area who wants to pick it up. All but one were wrapped and I have to say flipping through the magazine really put me off purchasing it. The store did not have the cover I wanted (all were Damien Hirst), but most importantly I thought that the physical quality of the magazine was not great. I understand the issue I looked at must have been handled a lot, but even so I could see that the cover, spine and back had already come right off the issue. Also I didn't like the matte pages, being a fan of glossy. But I suppose that comes down to personal preference.

I suppose small quibbles like that were proof that I just didn't want the magazine enough, though I believe I'd be in possession of it right now had they stocked the Nick Knight cover.

Price was CDN $18.95 (or thereabouts) for anyone interested, which is much less than what I thought it would have been.

I was hoping to find this somewhere in my country, but no luck. I'd love to see more of the content before I order it for a ton of money from somewhere.

I think Ruby Aldridge and Hailey Clauson have editorials inside, could anyone possibly post snaps of them? :smile:

Nevermind, I think I found Ruby's editorial that is in this issue:

Second Skin
Photographer: Maxwell Snow
Model: Ruby Aldridge

maxwellsnow.com

Attachments

• [Garage - FW 2011] Second Skin (01).jpg
    [Garage - FW 2011] Second Skin (01).jpg
    47 KB · Views: 339
  • [Garage - FW 2011] Second Skin (02).jpg
    [Garage - FW 2011] Second Skin (02).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 338