The ‘Fashion Documentaries’ Thread

Loic Prigent did another documentary for Arte called "Qu'est ce que la Haute Couture?" (What is Haute Couture?) which is really about the spring summer 2016 couture season.
It's really an interesting view on couture. It's a 1 hour documentary that features all the major players of Couture: from Chanel to Dior, from Valli, Armani to Elie Saab and Stephane Rolland.

We sees the President of Couture from Dior & Chanel, some clients who are shopping after the Gaultier show, les petites mains...etc.

There's this quote from Armani who is saying that he regrets the fact that the Couture clientèle today is less inspiring because it's mostly Nouveaux Riches, there's this very touching moment with karl and his new Premiere d'ateliers who is crying while presenting her parents to Karl.

It's not the most groundbreaking documentary but it's still informative. It will be available on Arte+7 website tomorrow.

Here's a link for those who are interested. I hope it will work.
http://www.arte.tv/guide/en/065878-000-A/what-is-haute-couture

PS: During Paris Fashion Week, Arte is always doing documentaries with Loic Prigent and Olivier Nicklaus usually during the first weekend following the beginning of PFW.

^Really liked it. But everything was in black and white, did others have that too?

25 minutes documentary about street style during paris fashion week.

There is a Dries Van Noten documentary on its way!! :woot::clap:

AFM: Dogwoof Boards Fashion Designer Documentary ‘Dries’ (EXCLUSIVE)
Leo Barraclough
Senior International Correspondent

Dogwoof has picked up world sales rights to Reiner Holzemer’s “Dries,” a movie about cult fashion designer Dries Van Noten. The company will present the pic to buyers at AFM in a work-in-progress screening this week.

Following a deal signed with the film’s writer-director-producer Reiner Holzemer and co-producer Aminata Sambe, Dogwoof will handle all rights, excluding Germany, Austria and Switzerland, which Prokino picked up for distribution for a theatrical release next year.

“’Dries’ is a fascinating account of a fiercely independent designer whose use of vibrant color and texture has set him out as a fashion giant and innovator,” a statement explained.

“Reiner’s access to the personal and creative mind of Dries is captivating. Van Noten is one of the most private fashion designers out there and it is a privilege to represent the first film ever made about him, and to witness his creative process,” Ana Vicente, Dogwoof’s theatrical sales chief, said.

Featuring interviews with Van Noten as he designs four new collections over one year, the film looks back on his 25 year career — the highs and lows — as well as going behind the scenes in his atelier and home. The film features interviews with Van Noten and his team as well as Iris Apfel, Suzy Menkes and Pamela Golbin, chief curator of fashion and textiles at the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris. Colin Greenwood provides the score.

“It took me a very long time to convince Dries to share his passions, his creative and intimate world in front of a camera,” Holzemer said. “I followed him for a whole year and I think I came as close to him and his world as it is possible. I hope the result is a very personal insight into his life and career.”

http://variety.com/2016/film/global...igner-documentary-dries-exclusive-1201905118/

^YAY! Ugh, it's gonna be forever until I see it but how exciting!

^Really liked it. But everything was in black and white, did others have that too?

Finally got around to watching it, it was a wasted oportunity to do it in b&w. Part of couture's magic comes from the colours.

The doc was ok, if not a bit bland. Once again, the fault seemed with the interviewer and his vapid questions. And what was with the halos? So random, only Donatella's one made sense. There was very little about Viktor & Rolf, which was a bit unfair. Loved Dior's lady, she had that French bluntness which is sometimes quite comical.

I got the feeling the interviewer tried to make fun of Karl near the end, but got outwitted, lol. And of course Armani would say something offensive, but I'm more surprised considering those very 'noveau riches' are the ones keeping his bread buttered.

Anna Cleveland really bowled me over with her runway closing for Elie Saab. It was almost too beautiful.

A new Dior doc is coming to British TV next week

Remember Dior and I? The 2015 documentary about Raf’s first collection for Dior ft. that now-iconic scene of the designer crying over a Diet Coke moments before the show :'( Well, that film is now getting a sequel, kind of.

On February 9th (the first day of New York Fashion Week, FYI), British TV channel More 4 will be airing a new two-part series called Inside Dior. The first episode will follow the house as it gears up for its 70th birthday, while the second will capture the lead-up to the inaugural show of its new creative director, Maria Grazia Chiuri.

According to the channel, the series “provides a talking point for discussions about fashion and female identity and how that has changed since Dior launched in the 1940s.” Chiuri’s first collection certainly sparked discussion around these issues, with show notes referencing the first-ever female creative director’s “boldly feminine outlook” and t-shirts bearing the slogan “We Should All Be Feminists”.

However the house’s synonymity with femininity long precedes Chiuri’s rein – as International Vogue editor, Suzy Menkes, says: “I think that Christian Dior stood so much for a kind of femininity that just doesn’t exist anymore. I don't think we need a gentle world now; the world is tough out there…”

Catch the first installment of Inside Dior at Thursday, 9 February at 9pm on More 4.

dazeddigital

^^^ That kind of attitude that the masses associate with fashion— whether genuine, or fabricated in that horrible Vogue UK doc, does trickle down to the impressionable, the wannabes, and to the lessors far far far down on the fashion parthenon.

I’m a nobody working in this industry, and the stories I can tell you— as I’m sure you an relate to, how insipidly, shamelessly, and completely lacking in self-awareness, in irony so many of these people parrot the caricatures they surely have been impressed by, by watching these sort of doc, or even worse, ANTM where the worst stereotypes of the industry have become role-models…. There are editors I’ve met that are Schulman mini-mes, there re diva photographers straight out of some cartoon episodes of ANTM, there are stylists that are the living embodiments of some Sacha Baron Cohen sendup… And in the greater scheme of the fashion industry— these are all nobodies: But given that they’ve secured a role, as insignificant as it is, they feel they have the right to cop the attitude that someone like Schulman has. It’s all hilarious, tragic and I can’t take it all so seriously, even if I’m relying on their approval for jobs.

I do wish Tim Blanks— or just someone like him, who clearly adores high fashion and all its twisted components, but still very much an nonintrusive observer with something passionate to contribute, were somehow involved in docs that didn’t come from a place like that Vogue UK doc did. But I get that the general public would likely be bored with down-to-earth, thoughtful, and nice individuals in this industry… They just want to see the freakshow and catfights.

I just finished "Casablancas: The Man Who Loved Women" on Netflix -- which I didn't know anything about before watching -- and found it to be comical in an unintentional way.

The documentary seems to be set-up as a direct copy of Robert Evans' "The Kid Stays in the Picture" -- titular voice-over, animated renderings, etc. But what was the most disappointing was how superficial it was and almost condoning any thinly-veiled reference to the more controversial or unsavoury parts of his work/life. Not surprising as it was narrated by John, after all. It's hard to describe save to say that it felt like there was no self-awareness at all.

Has anyone seen this?

I just finished "Casablancas: The Man Who Loved Women" on Netflix -- which I didn't know anything about before watching -- and found it to be comical in an unintentional way.

The documentary seems to be set-up as a direct copy of Robert Evans' "The Kid Stays in the Picture" -- titular voice-over, animated renderings, etc. But what was the most disappointing was how superficial it was and almost condoning any thinly-veiled reference to the more controversial or unsavoury parts of his work/life. Not surprising as it was narrated by John, after all. It's hard to describe save to say that it felt like there was no self-awareness at all.

Has anyone seen this?

this is a must see. was that his own voice-over? i couldn't tell because he was in really rough shape when the documentary was in production.

my favorite part was the rivalry with gerald marie. hard to determine if the BBC expose that showed gerald engaging in unlawful activity was coerced or not.

New short "AZZEDINE ALAIA" documentary by Joe McKenna.

https://www.joesfilm.com/

Couldn't finish it, but thanks for the link, Lola. All that God-like fawning turned me off. I do still have a profound respect for his contribution to fashion. People say Chanel is classic, but I actually AA's clothes stood the test of time.

Some nice vintage footage of the supers though.....

Do we really need ANOTHER Dior documentary? Especially when what's happening there now is so beyond uninteresting? LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->