Gucci boss: Frida Giannini takes over / John Ray resigns

completely agree kimair...
i was one of those people...
in fact- i think those are my very words..
then and now...

i like to look back on those threads...
it's interesting to note what people say from 'then' to 'now'...
it's not always the same...^_^...

I agree on this, the previous 'sex appeal' era was decribed as 'TOM FORD for GUCCI' & not 'GUCCI', & it was the same thing at YSL.

Alessandra Facchinetti had these poor reviews & critics because she followed TOM FORD stepsn & that's why she was fired.

I miss TOM FORD style & spirit & can't wait till he launch his 1st collection & stores.........but on the othe other hand he is not there anymore in GUCCI & things had to return back to its origin........
as MARC JACOB said: '1st collection doesn't count'.

the same thing happened to STEFANO PILATI & now he is the hottest ticket..

what she did was to introduce A new direction of the house, & I think she was trying to return to the original florintine spirit of the house which makes the name GUCCI before TOM FORD was born .....let wait & see & ONLY TIME WILL TELL... :innocent:

Yes yes yes. Gucci should undertake a new direction but Giannini made it a little too new. I wouldn't mind if she twisted the style a little but right now, she completely transformed Gucci from 'sexy' to 'granny'.

eternitygoddess said:
I honestly do not understand why Facchinetti left. I found her collections to stay true to the Gucci 'sex' image, with a twist of her own. Her fall collection was superb. .

you may liked Facchinetti she had very poor sales.. and the Gucci stores seemed very dull while she was in charge..

on the contrary Frida had poor Press reviews but the stores/buyers seemed pleased from her collection, it's all at the wwd article i posted here yesterday.
at the end of the day, its buyers not Press that make the fashion world turn round :wink:

why is everyone at Gucci quitting? the Curse of Tom Ford:smile:)
what does Tom think of all this? Fortunately they werent his chosen successors...He chose Pilati at YSL and hes still there...
Maybe with all this designer shuffling, maybe the big bosses at Gucci will get some sense and call TF back at Gucci

It doesnt feel "Gucci" anymore...more like order-by-mail- catalogue stuff. i;m not paying top dollars to buy that

^i agree with everything said above.....she'd have to come up with something very different in the future to impress me or to have me invest my money in ......so far, there was really nothing special to it, if i wanted clothes like these, i'd go to cheaper places instead of gucci!

i know it will seem sexist or whatever, but i want my clothes to be designed by a MAN. i do not get the idea of a woman dressing a woman. the man will look at it from a "what is sexy for me" standpointy and hence i would much rather trust a (gay) guy to dress me up than some woman - even though she knows a womans body blah blah:unsure:

^ well, you have only too many choices around.. most womenswear is designed by (gay) guys after all..

and what about those 'other' women who like to get dressed by women designers? do we stone them or what?

I am a woman, I dress myself, and I *know* what sexy is, thank you very much.

I don't have anything against Frida, but i cant stand FW0607 by John Ray, come on!
It is one thing to try to show your roots in design´, but if you are Scottish? bad idea...

I am a HUGE Tom Ford fan, I think that his work for Gucci saved them, helped them and rebuilt the brands name. Of course they have a hard time replacing him, he is such an icon.

John Ray is not a favorite of mine, I am glad that Frida is taking over, I think she can make a good job over there.

JD

Pastry said:
speak for yourself...he may have been a smoothtalker, but his "i wanted to make something so beautiful, it'd induce tears" thang was a bit attention-seeking, my friend...

and seeing how you do miss the sex of it, there are 'designers" such as cavalli and that dolce & gabbana duo to make people happy..gucci lived for a hundred years as a leaher goods company, then came tom ford, now it's tiem for positivity, and in another hundred maybe sex will be back...

as someone said here, it's sad that people can't accept change..really i thought tom ford-less gucci would be weird, but look at what galliano did to the circle-skirt crazy house of dior....blood-spattered corsetry is now synonymous with dior

D&G or Cavalli cant even come close to Tom Ford - they dont understand the same aesthtic values - Tom Ford is minimal - the others are tacky - if it were not for Tom Ford I would not be a designer myself and and would not be so involved in fashion - he is the most important fashion designer of the last 20 years in my opinion - not just for his design but his understanding, vision and creation of a red hot brand.

Fashion is sex - its dressing people up so others will want to make babies with them - what is more fundimental to existence than procreation? If you are not dressing for sex than you are under or over the age of procreation or have been sold some lies about who you should be to move product. We havent evolved all that much.....

^ fashion doesn't have to bex...when was fashion ruined by the idea that as long as it makes your *** look good it's good fashion.

puh-lease, just because some of us have that sort of attitude about life, does not mean other do too. sure, sure, sure!!!! Tom Ford was this and that, but you have got to get over that people. I mean, it was hot but there was not a hint of nice daywear in his collections. Unless you want to go to work with a rhinestone snake coiled up around you.

and when does the notion that a (gay) man can dress woman better than another woman..or a woman period! that's weak..

Pastry said:
^ fashion doesn't have to bex...when was fashion ruined by the idea that as long as it makes your *** look good it's good fashion.

Unless you want to go to work with a rhinestone snake coiled up around you.

and when does the notion that a (gay) man can dress woman better than another woman..or a woman period! that's weak..

There is a time and a place for everything - and its a fact that more men are are succesful designers than women.

please lets stay on topic and leave sexism out of this thread, appreciated :flower:

Chanel wasn't a man niether a gay ....& she made history:innocent:

you may liked Facchinetti she had very poor sales.. and the Gucci stores seemed very dull while she was in charge..

on the contrary Frida had poor Press reviews but the stores/buyers seemed pleased from her collection, it's all at the wwd article i posted here yesterday.
at the end of the day, its buyers not Press that make the fashion world turn round
wink.gif

It's really frustrating how designers have to sacrifice their visions to please the public.

^ Well, the fact is that fashion might be an artform, but it has to be sellable art...

If a designer doesn't realise that, they're in the wrong business.

I can't imagine anyone could've have come along and "saved" Gucci. No one.
Tom's strength was brand building and styling, NOT design imo.
Tom had worked his way up through that company for years and his initial work with Dawn Mello was extremely Mellow if not anaemic. Point being it took more than a couple of years for him to collect a cohesive vision. What point can there be in playing musical chairs with designers when we all know the real sales results only come a year after a collection's conception.
Ridiculous and unprofitable.
Frida has been with the company for quite a while so I believe we should give her a chance just like Tom. Gucci was a sleeping giant when he took over as opposed the the tired party girl it's become. Guccissimo may not be to everyone's taste but it is selling like hotcakes so she must know something.
If they get rid of her as well, they'll have lost all credibility and might as well shut down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->