Gwyneth Paltrow drinks while pregnant

laurlaur

Reaction score
Gwyneth Paltrow has a new motto: "Guinness is good for the baby."
The Oscar-winning actress was visibly annoyed at the stares and pointing when she had dinner with hubby Chris Martin on Tuesday at hip lower East Side sushi bar Cube 63.

But the stares turned to gapes when the pregnant actress downed a beer.

"People were looking and waving, and she just tried to melt further into the corner," according to one witness, who said she ordered salad and what appeared to be sushi.

Diners in the 30-seat restaurant observed Martin exit the BYOB joint to pick up several bottles of the Irish stout Guinness at a nearby deli. And they were surprised when Paltrow, who is five months pregnant with the couple's second child, drank one herself.

Paltrow is famous for her rigorous macrobiotic diet, although she altered it the last time she was pregnant, with her daughter, Apple. Some experts recommend a little Guinness for expecting mothers, because of the brew's high iron content.

Her rep confirmed she drank the alcoholic beverage, but said she ate only cooked food, not sushi.

Guess there is something to that Guinness slogan after all!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/story/404266p-342376c.html

I love that everyone is making such a big deal of this.
I know she's pregnant and all, but is one beer that big of a deal?

Here's something about fetal alcohol syndrome:

Fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) is a condition characterized by abnormal facial features, growth retardation, and central nervous system problems. It can occur if a woman drinks alcohol during pregnancy. Children with FAS may have physical disabilities and problems with learning, memory, attention, problem solving, and social/behavioral problems.

When a pregnant woman drinks alcohol, so does her unborn baby. There is no known safe amount of alcohol to drink while pregnant and there also does not appear to be a safe time to drink during pregnancy either. Therefore, it is recommended that women abstain from drinking alcohol at any time during pregnancy. Women who are sexually active and do not use effective birth control should also refrain from drinking because they could become pregnant and not know for several weeks or more.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/fas/

brokenenglish said:
I love that everyone is making such a big deal of this.
I know she's pregnant and all, but is one beer that big of a deal?

I think it is a big deal. Alcohol is bad for an unborn child full stop.

I know drinking during pregnancy is bad, but alot of doctors say one drink here or there (esp. wine) isn't all that bad and the risk isn't that big.
If Gwyneth wants to take that risk that is her decision and nobody else's buisness. ( except maybe Chris' cause it's his baby too)

It's bad. Look what happened to Britney Spears kid? Now don't say drinking while preg isn't THAT BAD. Pfft ...

Did Britney really drink while pregnant?
I thought she just gets her kid drunk and lets him drive her car?

Britney never drank while she was pregnant. If it was Britney instead of Gwyneth people would be freaking out, but people assume that Gwyneth knows what she's talking about because she's so pretentious and healthy.

I believe it depends on what stage the pregnancy is in. I have known of doctors prescribing wine in the 8th month or so (maybe 7th) for moms who are starting to have early contractions and don't want to deliver prematurely. Five months sounds like the wrong time to be drinking, but I am not an expert on this :P

brokenenglish said:
I know drinking during pregnancy is bad, but alot of doctors say one drink here or there (esp. wine) isn't all that bad and the risk isn't that big.
If Gwyneth wants to take that risk that is her decision and nobody else's buisness. ( except maybe Chris' cause it's his baby too)
I wouldn't say having "one drink" would do anything to the baby. But it's when people get into the habit.....all those little bits of drinknig every now and then...adds up to A LOT.

This sounds like another crock of sh*t story to make Gwyneth look bad (How many stories have we had this year so far - 73).

I need to see pictures before I believe this dribble.

^ Agree. And, she is not five-months pregnant. She is further along than that -- more like eight months. I just saw her at the Coldplay concert. She's HUGE.

One drink will not harm. Many women drink before they even know they're pregnant, and that is w/in the first trimester, when it's even riskier! Plus, I doubt she was drinking. She's so health-conscious! Again, just another made-up story about Gwyneth.

DreamsAreMade said:
I wouldn't say having "one drink" would do anything to the baby. But it's when people get into the habit.....all those little bits of drinknig every now and then...adds up to A LOT.

Actually it can ... it just all depends when you do it--what the baby is growing during the hours when you give him/her that drink. Because remember, whatever you eat or drink, the baby eats or drinks. The reason it's not an issue late in the pregnancy is because the baby is finished developing and is just gaining weight. However, you wouldn't give the baby a martini after s/he's born :P

I doubt Gwen would take any chances... or be seen in public if she felt it was terrible to do... I'm not a doctor, so I don't know.

One drink has the potential to make her baby serious physical and mental disabilities and whose to say that she doesn't drink more if she's unapologetic about drinking in public?

I know a lot about FAS and what she did is a serious, terrible thing. You wouldn't smoke or do drugs while pregnant, and even if you did the baby might come out fine, but there's still the chance that it wouldn't. When someone drinks alcohol when they're pregnant, so does their baby, and it's definately not right to give an infant a drink. That might seem extreme, but what she did is not okay.

Well, by that logic, it wouldn't be right to eat solid food when your pregnant either :P Is a pregnant woman limited to drinking milk because that's all her infant baby would be able to have?

What you're failing to consider here is that much of what is ingested is processed by your body BEFORE it reaches the fetus. Not condoning it, but many doctor's DO allow one drink in late stages and THAT's the opinion I would trust :wink: And, if we must judge, we can only do so based on the one beer she reportedly drank. You can't assume that she's a pregnant boozer based on this isolated report.

Label Basher said:
This sounds like another crock of sh*t story to make Gwyneth look bad (How many stories have we had this year so far - 73).

I need to see pictures before I believe this dribble.

It says that her rep confirmed that she drank.

I've heard of some people drinking in their last stages or pregnancy (per doctor's permission) so this doens't seem so jarring. But that doens't make it right. I dunno, this kinda adds on her to her over the top pretention, just because she's on a strict macrobiotic diet. I know my dislike for her is irrational so I'm already putting a disclaimer on it.

dlg

I am far from a Gwyneth fan or apologist. In fact I can't stand her. But this is a tempest in a teapot (or pint glass.)

Guess what folks. For many generations women drank - and even smoked - while pregnant. While I won't claim the world is in great shape, are we prepared to blame all the world's problems on some pretty typical human behavior? Are all the miscreants in the world purely the offspring of all mothers who drank?

I don't condone heavy drinking or drug use by anyone, pregnant, female or other. But I really doubt that Gwyneth is seriously endangering her unborn child. Riding in automobiles constitutes a greater danger IMO.

My credentials: my father was a pediatrician for about 50 years and saw many children from all socioeconomic strata, including ones whose mothers drank and smoked regularly during pregnancy. Moderation is key.

[/soapbox]

this story is complete bs! it is widely known that chris martin does not drink and gwyneth is a very health conscious woman and very protective of her family and child. i highly doubt that this story as any accuracy at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crinklechiffon
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->