Harris Reed - Designer, Creative Director of Nina Ricci

I will never understand why there hasn't already been even just one big time fashion designer working at a major brand dressing men like women. Not one has the guts to do it.
Because fashion needs to sell and unlike most men, women tend to be judged on image so a bunch of men selling it wouldn’t exactly create seasonal hits. If this was to happen and in order to be truly honest with the message, it would need to place in menswear (just the way womenswear regularly presents women in traditional men’s clothes), and generally and for obviously sexist reasons, womenswear is what you fck with, you can even create entire worlds where women have a secondary role, but menswear is off-limits, it’s a ‘serious’ section where the sole act of consumining it is not frivolous at all but associated with success. You don’t see the equivalents of what you see in womenswear, you don’t really see butch lesbians getting cast there regularly, or transmen, or average height/overweight/balding men, so explicitly dressing men like women (and not just the once-in-a-blue-moon oh-so-scandalous androgynous collection)? would be nice to see that imo, it would provide a much needed perspective on the type of visuals male designers use womenwear for. But not going to happen, its main demographic can’t handle it..

We actually still need someone who will put a men in dresses and heels and make them walk the catwalk. That's gender fluidity.
It’s a facet of it, but I don’t think it’s the only form of it. And really, we’ve recently-ish seen this at Margiela and frankly, it’s exhausting. Sure it’s great for representation but all it looks and feels like is a novelty.

Gender fluidity requires a genuine honesty to it. And it can’t be one sided (“man in a dress with heels”). It’s naive, and short sighted. And also is a bit regressive, despite for fashion today it’d look performatively transgressive. I’d rather see items embodied by models and representatives well and look at them going “wow they look good in that, I need/want that” irregardless of gender identity as opposed to seeing a man in a dress with heels being told that’s what we need/want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtletulip413
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->