Have celebrities ruined fashion?

Edwards4Gucci

Reaction score
In my opinion they have. I understand they offer great publicity but trends should centre around designers, not celebrities. I feel that people constantly in the limelight make these gorgeous creations look very tacky. All i see is actresses on the cover of magazines in some designer gown. Enough already! what happened to the era of Claudia, Jerry, Beverly, Iman..Kate on the covers of Maire Claire and Vogue? Its sad times for fashion.

Edwards4Gucci said:
In my opinion they have. I understand they offer great publicity but trends should centre around designers, not celebrities. I feel that people constantly in the limelight make these gorgeous creations look very tacky. All i see is actresses on the cover of magazines in some designer gown. Enough already! what happened to the era of Claudia, Jerry, Beverly, Iman..Kate on the covers of Maire Claire and Vogue? Its sad times for fashion.

I agree whole heartedly with you. I don't so much dislike the idea of having a celebrity on the cover as long as that celebrity is as beautiful as a model. But when you put Oprah, SJP and Renée Zellweger on the cover you've just obliterated all the great editorials in that magazine by the ugliness of the cover!

Some (no, most) have. Paris Hilton, Jessica Simpson and Victoria Beckham are a few celebrities I can think of off the top of my head and cringe when I hear their names. And when these fashion icons grace the covers of Bazaar, Vogue and Elle...:ninja: :innocent:

I think because celebrities are more recogniseable to the public than model that they have increased people awareness of fashion. Some do take it to the extreme (Lindsay Lohan comes to mind...what 18 year-old girl owns that many designer bags!?), but i personally think celebs would be more accessible to more people.

The celebs that most people consider 'fashion icons' are indiscriminately following the trends themselves and are no more iconic than everyday people wearing H&M, Gap or Sportsgirl. IMHO.

I think that high profile people have ALWAYS gained attention for designers and vice versa. Look at Audrey Hepburn and Givenchy. At one point roylaty set the trends that others followed. Queen Victoria was the 1st to wear white to a wedding. Kings and Queens and nobles had designers who would create colthing and then it would be seen when it was worn by those who were in the public eye most often. The designs filtered down and influence what everyone else wore. The only thing that's relatively new is using celebs for ads and covers. Thaty doesn't bother me too much (if models can be in movies, why can't actors be on magazines?). But I think the pendulum will shift the other way eventually, and models will be used more often again for the simple reason tht they're less expensive than celebs.

Fashion in general has been invaded by the growth of the celebrity culture. Not only are they content with wearing the creations giving to them by designers, they are becoming designers themselves.
Showing at fashion week seems to be the new trend.(j.lo, - last season) (beyonce and gwen stefani - next season). I have some hope that with peoplle who genuinely love fashion still around, it will not reach the point of total ruin.

totally, i hope/pray they havent ruined fashion for good :ninja:

They ruin fashion yes....... Not only do they step out in grotesque outfits most of the time, but they also dare DESIGNING clothes....... oh horror. :ninja:

I think the celeb culture and the fashion industry have grown way too close with each other. Do I think that celeb culture as a whole ruined fashion? Yes. Do I think an individual celebrity can ruin fashion? Depends. If that one celebrity wields a great influence on the fashion industry (e.g if many designers look closely at that one celeb to gain inspiration for their next collection) then yes, that would ruin fashion. Because fashion shouldn't be about that.

UniqueChic said:
I think because celebrities are more recogniseable to the public than model that they have increased people awareness of fashion.

I agree with your statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Erin said:
I agree with yoru statement.

me too, this is much true.. but it is still a matter of in which direction they are 'leading' public 'awareness' regarding style & fashion..

most of them have real bad taste and they been promoting it ..very well, affecting young kids towards kitch

i also agree with kimair's point on celebrity designers

I've already mentioned my views on celebrity covers so won't do so again except to say that I think Oprah is beautiful and I'm happy to see her magazine arrive every month with her on the cover. One month she did a "behind the scenes" story where she had pictures of what she looks like when she rolls out of bed & into makeup, showed the whole process--and I admire her for that. And the only part of her being on Vogue I had a problem with was Anna dictating a weight milestone she had to meet before she could do it. The imagination runs wild ... what did she have to do, go to some sort of official weighing station & get it notarized? :shock:

Anyway, I'd like to think that fashion is far too strong to be ruined by any current crop of tacky celebrities.

I'm not sure it's unusual for lots of people to have bad or no taste. :unsure: But there will always be those who do, and they will appreciate each other.

fashionista-ta said:
I'm not sure it's unusual for lots of people to have bad or no taste. :unsure: But there will always be those who do, and they will appreciate each other.

:lol: much deserved karma for miss fashionista-ta ^_^

i think celebrities ruin fashion, in the sense that they are probably the major influence on the trends adopted to by the general public, and i think they do not generally have a firm grip on what looks good and what doesnt.

it has also seemed to have gotten worse in the last 5 years or so, as celebrities increasingly have a lot of pressure dressing for events so that they do not get crucified by the tabloids the next day. the oscars and other events are boring now as celebrities look more and more homogenised- when uma thurman wore the christian lacroix last year she said one reason she did so because she was tired of the confines imposed by the press.

i think though one of the problems is not what celebrities wear, but the culture of celebrity worship itself that is ruining fashion, as it stifles individual's style when they strive to emulate their favourite figure, with no view to what suits them. for instance, kate moss looks amazing and makes great, daring choices, but every person on the street wearing superfines and ballet flats dont neccessarily achieve the same look. i think if their was more focus on designers, then people might choose looks that suit them and develop their own style.

i'd say some celebrities ruin certain brands eg. victoria beckham has ruined d&g
the guy from the killers has ruined dior homme and colleen roonie has ruined everything!

Lena said:
:lol: much deserved karma for miss fashionista-ta ^_^

Thanks, Miss Lena :wink:

As far as ruination and how to avoid it ... The only time I remember anything really being ruined for me was when my father pretty much insisted I take piano in college (his undergraduate degree is in music). I was self-taught, and just played for fun. Having assigned pieces, having to perform for judges, and getting a grade on it all ruined it for me.

In general, I think allowing anyone to ruin anything you love for you is giving them too much power. Just say no :flower:

excellent point fashionista-ta..

problem is ..media is been brainwashing teens with what the celebrities and starlets wear as 'must haves', when one is young is easy prey no?

Lena said:
excellent point fashionista-ta..

problem is ..media is been brainwashing teens with what the celebrities and starlets wear as 'must haves', when one is young is easy prey no?

Sometimes true. One of the things I really appreciate about my mother is that from a young age she would point out to us that advertising was trying to influence us & the importance of not allowing your viewpoint to be yanked around by big marketing campaigns. Of course raising me to have an independent mind also meant that I was considerably less influenced than she would like by her own particular outlook on the world :wink: I think this is a really important thing for parents to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliburum
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->