Have celebrities ruined fashion?

how can i add karma to your mom fashionista-ta?
upbringing is the key :wink:

Seth C. said:
Yes. I dont have a very favorable opinion of hollywood.

I just hate all those celebs who have clothing lines( ,but don't even wear/like the clothes from it:innocent::rolleyes: except some of course..like p.diddy etc..)

Last edited by a moderator:
you can never RUIN fashion... but I see what you mean. What really annoys me is not how celebs are taking over from models and sort of become affiliated with high fashion brands... instead I just really hate the fact that stars are such a huge factor in streetstyle trends... you know, they are SO IMPORTANT when it comes to deciding what actually hits HM and the streets. Suddenly, Lindsay Lohan's stylist gives her a waistcoat, long necklaces a fendi spy bag, huuuge sunglasses and shorts... well the next week, everybody and everybody's mum is wearing it. trends just go in and out much faster this way. What's really interesting, though, is that the stars themselves rarely account for this.. they have stylists, and stylists watch fashion shows... so no - fashion is not dead. The sad part is just that it seems that this way, the top stylists like rachel whatshername truly rule mainstream fashion. I mean, fashion mags do play a part in forming the main trends of a season...a lot of factors influence those. But the small things - gadgets - it-bags - it-things...:sick: like gaucho pants or gypsy skirts... they are worn by EVERYBODY because of stars and their stylists... see my point? sorry about the bad structure and the length of this post... :flower:

yes, like i wanted to buy something and then i read somewhere that Sienna Miller has been photographed wearing IT so now i obviously have to avoid the style gggrrrrrrr :D

great topic. i still blame this whole celeb hype on anna wintour, she was the one who first started using celebs on the vogue cover, and it all went from there - the editorials, ads with celebrities. and all the other mags picked it up, and look at it now: not one is using models on the cover anymore, not even occasionally (except for french vogue, maybe). this is all so sad, and i never got myself to really like this idea, not even now that we all got used to it.......

Fashion indeed cannot be ruined. Fashion week on the other can. And alas the image that 'ignorant' people get of fashion when they here about JLO showing or Sienna Miller wearing that omg so hot shirt that is too trendy to be true. So perhaps in that way, celebs have ruined a part of fashion. Luckily, there are those that stay with two feet on the ground and look past such celeb trends or comments. I think those people are nicely represented on tFS. If only by reading this thread, or any other JLO opens store-threads. Now I for one hope that the press wont take it too far in the future. the whole phenomena has been blown up, but I am sure it will ease down. It's like a few years back all the celebs were opening restaurants. They all went broke (the restaurants) and now we don't hear it anymore...

Mr-Dale said:
Fashion indeed cannot be ruined. Fashion week on the other can. And alas the image that 'ignorant' people get of fashion when they here about JLO showing or Sienna Miller wearing that omg so hot shirt that is too trendy to be true. So perhaps in that way, celebs have ruined a part of fashion. Luckily, there are those that stay with two feet on the ground and look past such celeb trends or comments. I think those people are nicely represented on tFS. If only by reading this thread, or any other JLO opens store-threads. Now I for one hope that the press wont take it too far in the future. the whole phenomena has been blown up, but I am sure it will ease down. It's like a few years back all the celebs were opening restaurants. They all went broke (the restaurants) and now we don't hear it anymore...

Great point about the restaurants :woot: There is a spring in my step now :wink:

However, I don't think the last NY fashion week was ruined by J Lo/other celebs showing. Sure, there was a big buzz at the time, but you notice she's not doing it again--I don't think she liked the critical heat one bit. What's memorable now about that week? I'd say the dark MJ show.

I will say, though, dumb as most of Sweetface is, the collection is not entirely without merit. I saw a really cute jacket in a lovely fuzzy herringbone fabric that would be quite wearable without its dumb fur flower ...

If not ruined then on their way to ruining, yes. You are lucky enough to make a living at one, if not two things that you enjoy (hello, J Lo)...leave it at that. Covers of 2 magazine, one US one UK, in one month is too much. Stop! I have a problem believing you had any input in the design of the clothing beyond "let's have another floppy hat".

I don't want to see clothes on celebrities, I want to see them on models...who show the clothes to their best advantage. I am interested in the clothes themselves, not your attempts to sell whatever movie, book, strange perfume you are attached to that month.

fashionista-ta said:
However, I don't think the last NY fashion week was ruined by J Lo/other celebs showing. Sure, there was a big buzz at the time, but you notice she's not doing it again--I don't think she liked the critical heat one bit. What's memorable now about that week? I'd say the dark MJ show.

I will say, though, dumb as most of Sweetface is, the collection is not entirely without merit. I saw a really cute jacket in a lovely fuzzy herringbone fabric that would be quite wearable without its dumb fur flower ...

She is still showing, but not during fashion week. She will show at the opening of her own boutique (!) which will be located in ?

And I agree, the show had some nice ones, but the fact that it's from J-Lo sucks. Right now we have Gwen Stefani showing next week and even though I love her style, I am not sure wether I agree on her being in the fashion industry. Same with all those other designers. Today I heard even, that Jessica Alba is gonna produce a line of baby clothes. How far will it go :blink:

Mr-Dale said:
She is still showing, but not during fashion week. She will show at the opening of her own boutique (!) which will be located in ?

And I agree, the show had some nice ones, but the fact that it's from J-Lo sucks. Right now we have Gwen Stefani showing next week and even though I love her style, I am not sure wether I agree on her being in the fashion industry. Same with all those other designers. Today I heard even, that Jessica Alba is gonna produce a line of baby clothes. How far will it go :blink:

Unless that new boutique is in Hell's Kitchen, I'm gonna believe she couldn't take the heat :lol:

I think it should be based on merit. If anyone, celebrity or no, has something legitimate to add to fashion, then great. But if their stuff sucks, we should all shout it from the rooftops. My sense is that L.A.M.B. has more going for it than Sweetface ... will be interesting to see what's shown.

What annoys me is when celebrities try to make fashion. Take J-Lo for instance... all she did was take an average top, write her name over it in shiny lettering and then added an extra £20 onto the price of what its really worth. Its laughable.

Seeing celebrities on covers of magazines doesn't annoy me so much, because it depends on who it is. When Cate Blanchett is on the cover of Vogue, I don't mind at all... she has a timeless elegence and beauty and a glow about her and could almost be a model herself. But if I see someone like Gwen Stefani, I cringe.

Here's what Manolo Blahnik had to say on the subject in this months Harper's Bazaar:

If you have a point of view, you don't need anybody else. Today's pop stars don't have a clue. They really just depend on stylists. But unfortunately, they get exposure, and innocent little girls from suburbia copy them. We have to watch pop stars; they are very dangerous.

I like it that he calls them dangerous :P

DosViolines said:
Here's what Manolo Blahnik had to say on the subject in this months Harper's Bazaar:

Isn't that taking fashion a bit too seriously though? There are things pop stars are doing that are really dangerous ... but is demonstrating/promoting bad taste really one of them? :wink:

^ I guess he was just being dramatic or trying to emphasize his point^_^

Yes! But I think the pendulum is starting to swing away from them due to the massive exposure of "B" & "C" list celebs such as J. Lo, Jessica, Lindsay, Mary Kate & whoever Olsen. They don't have a clue. You can also throw in all the hip hop crew with the exception of Sean Combs (I have my reasons). Fashion is not about another (Yawn) jeans & t-shirt line made in China.

Some top tier celebs really have style and can carry off anything (We all know who they are). But most now are really annoying!

i hate seeing actresses/singers/etc. on the covers of magazines, but i've come to accept it...celebrities and their stylists have elevated fashion to a place where it wasn't

but to see someone like britney on the cover of elle, who has absolutely nothing going on professionally when there are many other talented actresses (jennifer connelly, tilda swinton, rachel weisz, etc.) taking on interesting and challenging roles...

it's bothersome because many of these other women do have great style, are mothers, careerwomen, etc. and would be positive to read about in magazines...i'm just tired of the same rotating list of women, most of whom it's obvious they don't dress themselves...(well except for britney:innocent:)

I think it is predominantly Americans in general who have ruined fashion. The reason I say Americans is because I consider the US where trends seem to spread from. As a culture, they have become so accustomed to "fitting in" and following trends set by celebrities. Whatever happened to originality? I think it is only getting worse. If you look at tweens and teens, here they are wearing pajama bottoms to school. I mean if you are 30+ I highly doubt that there were such ghastly clothes being worn at that age. Now correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that women in Europe tend to follow trends less than in the US. At least it looks as if they tweek what is in to best suit them. In the states, it has really become the state of mind to find whatever is in style at the cheapest price no matter if it looks good.

DosViolines said:

i actually agree on them being dangerous just for the reasons Blahnik gave, they dont even dress themselves and (most not to say all of) their stylists s*ck big time.
their only reason why one could discribe then as dangerous is in influencing the teens taste towards the total kitch
stil.. from what i see from this thread here, there is also an opposition to this trend, which actually i find very healthy. :flower:

I don't think fashion can be ruined but the idea of celebrity fashion lines is irksome if only because it is merely another part of this culture of branding wherein it is not enough to sing, dance and act. One must also be publish a book, market a fashion line, have a perfume, create their own potato chip and so on and so forth. It takes the creativity out of things and can lead towards all sorts of disasters. I dislike the concept that an innovative stylist can dress someone up from head to toe and then the person who had little to no creative input in the outfit can be hailed as a "fashion icon" the world over. That is uniquely aggravating to me. Some of these people have absolutely no style what so ever in my opinon.

It is also annoying to see actresses/singers without style on the cover of fashion magazines just because its time to promote their films/albums/potato chips and so on. Fashion magazines were not originally intended as vehicles for celebrity profiles but as time progressed the line between tabloid and fashion magazine blurred.

In those ways I think they have hurt fashion. However I do think its nice that there are a choice few actresses with legitimate style out there letting people who wouldn't ordinarily know about certain houses/labels learn more. One may not automatically know about Balenciaga or Lanvin but if people see an image of say a Selma Blair or a Sarah Jessica Parker wearing clothes from those labels they may be compelled to find out more. I think its wonderful that more people hear about fashion even if its only through the glossy images in the Star or US Weekly. Its great to think that some kid in Idaho might be idly flipping through a tabloid at the supermarket, see an actress in a stunning creation and become enthralled by fashion. I know it sounds hokey but it could happen. Those magazines reach out to a whole other demographic that might not have a subscription to Vogue or V but may just find themselves drawn into the love of chic clothes.

As for starting horrible trends I think that celebrities can influence people to some extent but bad taste is a vice in and of itself. There will always be someone out their who loves all that is tacky. It is very annoying though when there's something one likes and suddenly it becomes hot due to an influx of celebrity exposure.

At the end of the day though fashion can never be ruined. It can go through ups and downs but its never really destroyed. I mean if fashion can survive day glo spandex, the rise of the velour jumpsuit AND the world's continued fascination with what Jessica Simpson wears then its just plain invincible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->