Have celebrities ruined fashion?

what's bad taste really? it's really just the elitism of being 'in the know'... no different than high school if you think about it :ninja:

travolta said:
what's bad taste really? it's really just the elitism of being 'in the know'... no different than high school if you think about it :ninja:

I know this is probably not a popular viewpoint with many who work in the industry, but I have always viewed fashion as deliciously inconsequential, and therefore something to have fun with and not worry about.

Didn't Diana Vreeland say something like, everyone needs a soupçon of bad taste, it's no taste that's the problem?

I once read an article that was worried that, because Target is promoting good design for the masses, that good taste was no longer going to be limited to a few. Of course it was incredibly elitist. At the same time I wanna tell the guy, no worries :P

I like Luxx's point that there is an upside to this, that celebrities are often promoting good fashion.

But I also think there are a good many people here who in reality would be quite upset if suddenly the masses somehow acquired good taste :ninja:

I think celebs have always been "style" icons ... as in the past when people didnt have access to fashion shows etc. before tv, they would see pictures of celebs etc. and copy them. So we have always looked upto celebs but even today with fast media imrovements people still look upto them.
Like uggs and juicy tracksuits were never fashion as such but the millions of people who wore them ... i doubt any of them would ahev worn them with out seeing -insert name of celeb here- wearing them the week before. Its just in are culture to admire celebs and want people to admire us so by copying celebs ... ok maybe im not being clear but i know what i mean lol

fashionista-ta said:
Didn't Diana Vreeland say something like, everyone needs a soupçon of bad taste, it's no taste that's the problem?

Oh I love DV!

People have always copied big stars - so that's not an issue - and the most beautiful and stylish stars have always made the covers (Deneuve, Grace Kelly, Raquel Welsh, Natalie Wood...). Select beautiful stars have graced the covers since the 50s. But today there is no selection - as long as it's a 30+ accomplished actress with an IQ over 100 it's all ok. Beauty and innate grace are no longer determining factors for who nabs a cover.Unfortunately.

In my opinion tt's just FINE with celebs on the covers but there are not enough celebs who are gorgeous and stylish enough to actually carry a cover. Winona Ryder, Kate Winslet, Gwynneth, Angelina, Drew Barrymore, Demi Moore, Emmy Rossum, Mischa Barton (has anybody seen how similar to Veruscka she is?!??!), Nicole Kidman, Uma Thurman....I'm probably forgetting a few. But there aren't that many who have beauty and grace. A cover face must have that or else it's a failure. No matter who it is. And great models ALWAYS have these two qualities, whereas movie stars don't necessarily.

Ooh don't get me started on celebs on covers :angry:

Well, I must say I am on the same level as kimair on the celebs on covers. I absolutely detest it, but I have come to except it. Luckily, here in Europe, the vast majority of magazine feature models. But big big international mags, like Vogue US or Elle US, what ever (all American, yes) seem to have the celebs. It's a pity, really. I am convinced that covers belong to models, especially when we are talking the cover of a fashion magazine. A year ago, when Vogue US put 9 beautiful models on September Vogue I was so excited. Anna Wintour saying that it's time for models in fashion again made me think that it was over hurray! But the next month already the models were gone again. Apparantly celebs sell better. That is the general idea of celebs in fashion I think. They just sell better, that's it. They say celeb, 'we' say kaching...

Anna And Patrick Exit Calvin Klein
Why 32 will become fashion's chicest number

Friday, September 16, 2005

About ten minutes before the first look walked out onto the runway at the Calvin Klein fashion show at Milk Studios Thursday evening, Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour, looking what some eyewitnesses described as “drenched,” abruptly exited the building along with Fairchild Publications chairman and editorial director Patrick McCarthy. “Our society has become overwrought with an obsession over these blonde celebrities,” proclaimed Vogue editor at large André Leon Talley post show, referring to the starlets, which included Ashley Olsen, Melissa George and Alexis Bledel (not to mention the hoards of photographers with their backsides to Wintour) that peppered the front row directly across from Wintour’s seat. “It’s all about the photo opportunities now and no longer about the clothes. This is precisely the reason why my friend Mariah Carey would never come to a show for this exact reason.” Wintour was unreachable for comment.

While the celebrities have certainly been a noticeable annoyance to Wintour this week—at Wednesday night’s Narciso Rodriguez show, she walked backstage with her security guard after photographers came too close while trying to shoot Rachel Weisz and Claire Danes, for instance—all said and done, it was most likely a combination of factors which led to her attention getting exit. The sudden humidity experienced in New York caught several show venues off guard, and at the Calvin Klein show, temperatures easily soared into the high 80’s/low 90’s under the harsh spotlights and packed-in conditions. “Anna was extremely hot and frustrated,” explained Kim Vernon, senior vice president of global communications and advertising, backstage after the show. “We started 35 minutes after 5pm; at 5:20pm the first dress arrived and 15 minutes later, the show started. I have a personal policy that we start 30 minutes after the called for time. I apologized to [Harper’s Bazaar editor in chief] Glenda Bailey for the heat and she said, figuratively, ‘It’s ok; it was a hot show.’”

“There’s a way to say we have no more seats and that there’s no more room. It’s a show for people who are trying to do their jobs,” Talley continued. And indeed, to give the Calvin Klein team their due kudos, a late-arriving Rosario Dawson was waiting downstairs for the elevator and the show started without her. “Baby Phat, Marc Jacobs—with a marching band—Oscar de la Renta and Vera Wang all started on time. In the world of fashion, 32 minutes is on time; it is the magic number.”

“Patrick and Anna left together,” Talley emphasized. “That is a powerful statement.”

JIM SHI, FWDaily

Last edited by a moderator:
Anna And Patrick Exit Calvin Klein
Why 32 will become fashion's chicest number

Friday, September 16, 2005

Thank you for posting this LoveLetter :flower:

US Vogue seems a paradox, Wintour rejects the celebrity culture and yet is heavily reliant upon it to shift her magazines. i cannot help thinking that eventually the celebrity bubble will burst. Fashion should distance itself from it in order not the be dragged down with it. JLo, Jessica Simpson and all the rest should come with health warnings :D

travolta said:

Reminds me of the Emperor Has No Clothes. True style never goes out, and it seems like fashion is always about what's new, which is usually a new take on old ideas (the whole boho thing, now this beatnik idea, etc.).

Anyway, if anything those who live vicariously through celebrities are a kind of social Darwinism, it just makes it easier for us to identify and corral the sheep in. I remember when Metallica went through their Alternica faze, and started wearing makeup and such. Their fans didn't care, they didn't run out and get new clothes. They just kept their old, faded tour shirts on and prayed for the old Metallica to come back. I don't think celebrities have much of an impact on fashion, unless they're slinging their own clothing lines.

And if you don't like someone's style, who cares? Why worry? You know what you like. If you want everyone to wear Marc Jacobs, sell it at Wal-Mart. Then you'll hate him too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't say that celebrities have ruined the fashion.
There are many celebrities who has a great sense of style and they start a trend, but it has been like that for ages. Bardot started a trend and her famous look comes back to fashion very often, same thing with Hepburn.
When it comes to new stars, they start trends as well. I think this whole Britney/Christina thing started the very low waist jean boom.
And I think there has been few collections that were inspired by Cher.
In the late 80's and early 90's when models really hit big and they became supermodels (let's all forget the ugly janice dickinson, who is just nobody) in other words they became celebrities.
They were in every single premier, in all the parties, they were dating famous actors (Cindy and Gere for example), they were in music videos (George Michael, Michael Jackson), they were hosting parties and tv shows, releasing work out videos, doing movies, doing albums. So those models (Naomi, Cindy, Claudia, Linda, Christy ect. you all know them) became so big that even my mom could name them. Well now we don't have those big models anymore. Daria is getting bigger, Natalia is quite big, Karolina Kurkova is big, at least she was and I hope that Bianca Balti will come big, but anyway, nobody actually knows them. They are just a pretty face. People don't regonize them. We in this forum of course do, but that's just because fashion and models for us are pretty big thing.
And about that era when supermodels rule the world, Hollywood was not that big thing, the glamour was gone and everything was so serious cause actors wanted to be taken seriously. People were not interested about actors, cause they all seem very boring, then things change and Hollywood got thei glamour back and actors seem to be interesting again.
I think this is very normal that big name actors and musician are now doing those ads for fashion labels, cause entertaiment and fashion goes hand in hand.
So now that Hollywood is fun and glamorous, fashion world seems to be serious, what do we actually know about these models, not much.
Only few models after that infamous supermodel era have become big and we can call them celebrities, I think those are Heidi Klum, Giselle, Tyra and of course Kate Moss.
I hope that in few years time we will get some interesting characters to modelling and then get new group of supermodels.

I hope this thread makes any sence :D

lamb said:
I hope this thread makes any sence :D

:D Yeah, I know how I feel, but I can't put it into words myself. I'm far too apathetic to even know what's cool anymore or who's wearing what. Someone told me Britney Spears had a kid, my answer?

"She was pregnant?"

In my opinion YES celebrities have ruined fashion, not only by trying to design it, but by having no clue how to wear clothes! It really does make me sick:sick: to think that the lines that get the most attention (in mainstream media) are those by the Jlo's and PDiddy minus the P whatever the hell he is now. I'm in complete agreance with the originator of this post.

What I wanna know is, Where have all the supermodels gone?

iluvjeisa said:
Oh I love DV!

People have always copied big stars - so that's not an issue - and the most beautiful and stylish stars have always made the covers (Deneuve, Grace Kelly, Raquel Welsh, Natalie Wood...). Select beautiful stars have graced the covers since the 50s. But today there is no selection - as long as it's a 30+ accomplished actress with an IQ over 100 it's all ok. Beauty and innate grace are no longer determining factors for who nabs a cover.Unfortunately.

In my opinion tt's just FINE with celebs on the covers but there are not enough celebs who are gorgeous and stylish enough to actually carry a cover. Winona Ryder, Kate Winslet, Gwynneth, Angelina, Drew Barrymore, Demi Moore, Emmy Rossum, Mischa Barton (has anybody seen how similar to Veruscka she is?!??!), Nicole Kidman, Uma Thurman....I'm probably forgetting a few. But there aren't that many who have beauty and grace. A cover face must have that or else it's a failure. No matter who it is. And great models ALWAYS have these two qualities, whereas movie stars don't necessarily.

Brilliant, Completely agreed!

this discussion needs to continue..
have the celebs really ruined it...?
or are they fading away now...was is just a trend?

:flower:

no, I hope it's at it's peak now so it will fade away.. but not only celebrities are ruining it
young teenbloggers (not in magazines and ads though) and semifamous people are taking over

I have to say it's really fun to read through this thread, very intresting opinions
thanks for bumping it soft

I get the feeling that whatever happens, we will still be left complaining

when models were bigger and starring in movies etc, people complained because they weren't 'real actors' and only got those parts because of their celebstatus

and now when actors are bigger, people are complaining because they don't feel like they deserve to have their own lines or be the cover of a magazine.. they only get it because they're famous

The day when everyone sticks to what they're good at is the day that we might be satisfied

but that day won't come, the actors designing clothes will always claim that it's what they love to do besides acting, models becoming actors will always claim that modelling is somewhat like acting etc

people nowadays are multitasking like never before and sticking to only doing one thing is so old-fashioned

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crinklechiffon
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->