Have celebrities ruined fashion?

Print sales might be low but there is always going to be a place for it , holding something physical in your hand beats look at a computer screen , the industry needs to move away from using celebrities though it's oversaturated.

Does anyone remember when their were celebrities like Liza and Bianca Jaggar who dressed chicly. what happened to that time?

I think celebs have ruined fashion because so few of them really understand fashion anymore.

Sure, there are a handful of truly stylish, chic, daring women in Hollywood these days who almost always look gorgeous (Cate, SJP, Charlize, Reese...) but they're vastly outnumbered by two groups of celebs.

The first group are the ones who all seem to share one stylist, makeup artist, hair dresser, jeweler etc. They manage to look like an army of clones on the red carpet, decked out in beaded-to-death plunging-neckline mermaid gowns with big barrel curled pseudo-blonde extensions, tanned skin, smoky eyes and so much lip gloss it looks like it's going to melt off.

The second and even more tragic group are the ones who stand out for making sloppy, shocking and/or ugly fashion choices. The ones who always manage to look like they just woke up, threw on some oversized designer clothing and covered their raccoon eyes with bug-eyed sunglasses. This description is restricted to their off time. When they're on a red carpet they'll most likely fall into the first category of celebs.

Very few female celebrities stand out for being really stylish anymore.

So with that in mind I'm always left stunned when one of the many unstylish celebrities have the nerve to put their name on a fashion line. It's either complete arrogance or complete greed on their parts, neither of which are particularly good.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion they have. I understand they offer great publicity but trends should centre around designers, not celebrities. I feel that people constantly in the limelight make these gorgeous creations look very tacky. All i see is actresses on the cover of magazines in some designer gown. Enough already! what happened to the era of Claudia, Jerry, Beverly, Iman..Kate on the covers of Maire Claire and Vogue? Its sad times for fashion.

I have been complaining about celebrities such as Jennifer Aniston and Gweneth Paltrow on the covers of Vogue. I can read about them in UsWeekly, if I ever wanted to. I feel like Vogue should be more... seperate from the world of tabloids.

In the past I think there were fewer celebrities that wanted to be 'fashion icons' so the truly stylish ones were the ones that stood out (Bianca Jagger, Sophia Loren, Audrey Hepburn etc). These days everyone wants to be seen as fashionable for two reasons:
1) It makes sense money-wise as fashion is now big business and if a celeb is to be offered a fashion line, they need to show an interest in fashion
2) Paps are everywhere so the more you're seen to rock a trend, the more you'll be photographed. In London, the likes of 'cool dressers' like Agyness, Alexa, Daisy Lowe, Kate Moss and Pixie Geldof are in the tabloids much more than A-listers like Madonna or Gwyneth. Celebs have realised that if they dress 'fashionably', they'll get photographed more and raise their profile.

The main issue is that *those* celebs then get known more for their style than their original talent. It kind of dilutes what they're really known for.

Celebs have ruined fashion for me as there are so few really innovative ones. As someone already said, they all have stylists so they're all more or less wearing the same designers and trends. BORING! In the past, celebrities didn't have stylists for every day so their own innate style came through.

On the other hand, it's because celebs got involved that fashion became so popular. And if fashion is more popular it means more magazines, websites, blogs and jobs for us fashion types! And also, by having non-classically beautiful celebs on covers maybe it helps young people feel good about how they look when they see this diversity? (Ok, the airbrushing/size zero debate comes into play but I'm just touching on the subject.) That said, I still think
covers belong to models. Back off celebs!

haha nice topic

and i think in a way they have!
like ome when i saw fergie
wearing a dress from last srprin/summer collection from marc by marc
the half read skirt and cream top with the big bow
i was like ewwwww! and i thought that the model wore it soooo much better

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crinklechiffon